#26 - 03/02/10 - Saints 2-0 Rangers - SPL

bobby kemp

Saints team news:

Jody Morris is 50-50 for St Johnstone's Clydesdale Bank Premier League game with Rangers tomorrow after missing the midweek 5-1 thrashing of Hibernian with a stomach injury.

Filipe Morais is expected to return from an ankle problem to boost manager Derek McInnes, but Kenny Deuchar replaces him on the sidelines with a similar injury.

Peter MacDonald had knee surgery yesterday and has been ruled out for around a month, captain Kevin Rutkiewicz is on the brink of making his comeback from a knee injury, while Stuart McCaffrey (groin) and Martin Hardie (knee) remain sidelined.

Team (from): Smith, Grainger, Gartland, Duberry, MacKay, Anderson, Morris, Craig, Moon, Davidson, Morais, Sheerin, Millar, Milne, Sheridan, Samuel, McLean, Irvine, Connolly.

Source?

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers on a long unbeaten run but have lost a game away from home. I think we should approach it the way we did Hibs. Rangers have seen us play 4-5-1 and they have handled that so now a wee bit of a change and two forwards if possible. They may have Novo, Miller and Boyd all onbut ...................... I don't care! Attack! Attack! Attack! and if these players don't get the ball much what can they do?

Rangers on a long unbeaten run but have lost a game away from home. I think we should approach it the way we did Hibs. Rangers have seen us play 4-5-1 and they have handled that so now a wee bit of a change and two forwards if possible. They may have Novo, Miller and Boyd all onbut ...................... I don't care! Attack! Attack! Attack! and if these players don't get the ball much what can they do?

Couldnt agree more. We need to be in their faces from the off and attack with pace as we did the other night. Were not expected to get anything from this game so we should just go for it.

I think we should have a right go at them. they are not too clever when under pressure but their strength is going forward, take the game to them, play in there half as much as possible and limit their chances by doing so....

4-4-2 for me with sherridan and sumuel up front

miller , davidson,moon, craig

mckay dooberry gatrland, anderson

smith

have a go saints we have nothing to loose and 3 points to gain

If Morris is fit this will be a real test for Del. Morris has some standing in the team and with the gaffer... but not only did the team perform against Hibs, Moon and Davidson provided more drive than we've had lately.

Just have faith, keep the same team (great timing, Sammy in for Doc) and get right in about them.

Hughes said they coudnt cope with Saints physical presence at the back and up front lets see how the **** like it?:twisted:

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, but to get anything we'll have to improve on our previous performances against the Old Firm this year, barring the Rangers game in October we have been frankly naive in our approach against the big two.

However if we take the game straight to Rangers, as we did on Wedensday, it'll be a game. In our previous meetings we've had a habit of standing back and allowing pressure and invevitably they'll break through in the end. We have to keep pressing against them and I have a good feelign about a Sheridan, Samuel partnership, hopefully McInnes won't go with the 4-5-1, although I can understand it, that approach hasn't worked in the past.

Rangers have a very effective organised style, of getting back and defending in huge numbers but also breaking very effectivly, that'll be something we'll have to be aware of.

If we can try to silence certain players, most especially Steve Davis, who pulls the strings for Rangers and hopefully our defence can keep tabs on Boyd and Miller, we have a chance.

Hopefully we'll have been able to have kept our energy levels from Wedensday, we might have chance.

It;s a very tough run of fixtures ahead with Rangers, Celtic and vengeful Hibs to look forward to, but let's have faith and hope that a large Saints crowd will be encouraged by Wedensday to come along offering vocal support, and hopefully a decent crowd from our Rangers buddies, because we all love your presence:P

Come on Saintees!

I'd think I'd bring Savo in for Dr Goals and leave the rest of the team as it was on Wednesday. Not fair to change a side that has just put in the best performance of the season.

My only worry is Davidson and Moons ability to cope with 2 games in 3 days. They certainly have the ability to cope with the likes of Kevin Thomson and Lee McCulloch. Morris is usually the first name on my teamsheet and captain, but the lads deserve to be rewarded for their form on Wednesday.

Sammy to get another 30 mins and build up to a start.

I expect a 4-5-1, with Morris in for Deuchar and Grainger in for Anderson. Here's hoping that's not the case.

Latest report says that Moris is still out with 'a stomach problem'. I recon Del will play the same team with Sammy on for Deuchar. I know Sammy probably isn't fit yet but if we get an early goal like last time, Sammy will come off for a more defensive player like Irvine and he'll go onto the right wing with Midgie, Moon and Davidson in the middle.

Probably completely wrong, time will tell.