#35 - 20/03/10 - Celtic 3-0 Saints - SPL

Due to the extensive injury list. I simply don't believe we stood a chance of getting anything from the game with so many influential players missing. Not to mention playing a half fit striker and a kid up front for the majority of the match. We could've avoided losing 3-0 and despite his sympathisers, Smith is every bit as culpable as Irvine but I didn't think we were ever going to pick up any points in this match given the circumstances.

Exactly my thinking.

Just back from game after mid-evening pish-up with hard core Saints company and we a;; agreed we didn't look like winningm or securing a draw. So move on, and support those that tried. Yes Smith made a daft lunge but only after a superb save, and yes Gary got burnt but when he did we were already beat. Swanks hit the post, Muzz nearly scored, it wasn't a disaster by any means.

Good to see Duberry's brother in Saints' support.

Next game please

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you think it worked?

Sandy Clark noted that McGowan stole the first half and it was Chris Millar that shut him out in the second half.

One goal down, needing a goal to take something from the game and Del's brain tells him to play a one footed striker out wide on his wrong side and leave one up front:evil:

That is obviously where you differ he has one and uses it!!! :)

Damage limitation form del today and given the injury list a 3-0 defeat is a moral victory. Put it in perspective that Celtis side probably earn more ina week that the whole saints squad do in a year.

One goal down, needing a goal to take something from the game and Del's brain tells him to play a one footed striker out wide on his wrong side and leave one up front:evil:

Context is all. Given the injuries and the mix of players available on the bench at the point when Duechar got injured - how would you have handled that circumstance Gordon?

Context is all. Given the injuries and the mix of players available on the bench at the point when Duechar got injured - how would you have handled that circumstance Gordon?

Given the team that Del picked, I'd have played Reynolds up top with Savo and persisted with the 4-4-2. We were only 15-20 minutes into the game when Del waved the white flag. After the switch to uber-defence we were completely out of the game.

In an ideal world I'd have introduced May for Dukes

Given the team that Del picked, I'd have played Reynolds up top with Savo and persisted with the 4-4-2. We were only 15-20 minutes into the game when Del waved the white flag. After the switch to uber-defence we were completely out of the game.

Must admit I agree with you Gordon. Also didn't think it was fair on Reynolds. I think there were others on the bench who could have played wide left. I also think he did it with Tuesday in mind.

So just to be clear you would have dropped Deuchar?

Get a grip 101.

3 wins on the bounce, a 3-0 defeat away the Parkhead with a shadow team and you want the manager out. Jeez

So just to be clear you would have dropped Deuchar?

Seems to me he would start Deuchar and bring Reynolds on when the Doc got injured.. But he would have had May on the bench as a preferred option.

Edited by duncan08

After the last few Old Firm defeats, this place has gone into meltdown with folk wetting their pants because our players struggle against international footballers who earn three or four times as much as them. Glad to see it's not quite as bad this evening. Celtic were decent again but up until the second goal, I felt we might have sneaked something. Disappointing to see Smith gave away another foul of that nature but he'd generally operated well off his line up to that point.

Not really much worth commenting on to be honest and have no real interest in discussing the rights or wrongs of the manager's decisions when we have six games in eighteen days and he has an injury list stretching into double figures.

Treatment of our fans was shocking again though. Some even appeared to commit the cardinal sin of not sitting in their allocated seat.

Seems to me he would start Deuchar and bring May on when the doc got injured..

Trying to establish that - so Reynolds would not have been on the bench? But May would? I want to try to work out why the manager's brain was so slow? 101 can help with that. Would Deuchar have played?

If so - would your substitute striker (without fore-knowledge that Dukes would get injured) have been Stevie May?

So that this doesn't become a thread about those that are wise after the event.

Does Duechar start with May on the bench?

Simple enough question.

Strange game for me.Was with my Celtic supporting mate and was about 20yds from the saints fans but amongst the self proclaimed "best fans in the world".To be honest I thought with our injurys Celtic won at a canter.

The game reinforced for me how much more fun it is supporting Saints.Lots of their fans looked pretty bored and when Celtic scored I didn't have to worry about not reacting as many of them didn't even bother getting of their backsides.(christ I must have looked like just another bored old firm fan!)

We may not win as many games as the old firm ,but my god we do know what winning a football match means!

Oh aye and despite being vastly outnumbered our aupport showed tons more passion.

Be thankful your a Saintee!

After Reynolds introduction on Tuesday, he was the natural selection today. May's time will come in future weeks.

I agree. And the decisions the manager took were the right one's because he had no prior knowledge that Duechar, who has barely been unavailable through injury all season, would have got injured.

So why would have May been available to play today?

The reason I'm pertsisting with this is that in a previous post our manager's intelligence is being questioned - with the benefit of signicficant hindsight.

101so that I'm not mistaken - what's your squad and starting XI?

I'm intrigued whether there is a master plan I'm missing or its just another slag Del because I know what happened in the game, ting?

Edited by soulfulsaint

I agree. And the decisions the manager took were the right one's because he had no prior knowledge that Duechar, who has barely been unavailable through injury all season, would have got injured.

So why would have May been available to play today?

The reason I'm pertsiting with this is that in a previous post our manager's intelligence is being questioned? And with the benefit of signicficant hindsight.

101 what your squad and starting XI?

I'm intrigued whether there is a master plan or just a slag Del agenda?

The result has nothing to do with Del, tactics or anything like that. We in the know realise what really happened today. Saints were doing OK, Swankie was unlucky with a well taken free kick when suddenly the commentary on Iraqigoals.net went from the Scottish guys to a a couple of Poles. Saints never recovered from that and then lost a dodgy penalty. How could anyone expect them to get back into a game when Liam is being called Kaik ? :shock:

The result has nothing to do with Del, tactics or anything like that. We in the know realise what really happened today. Saints were doing OK, Swankie was unlucky with a well taken free kick when suddenly the commentary on Iraqigoals.net went from the Scottish guys to a a couple of Poles. Saints never recovered from that and then lost a dodgy penalty. How could anyone expect them to get back into a game when Liam is being called Kaik ? :shock:

I stand corrected I thought he was 'kaik' a few times last season but have changed my mind becasue I am often wrong, and so are many people on this forum.

Edited by soulfulsaint

Soulfulsaint wrote:

101so that I'm not mistaken - what's your squad and starting XI?

Also looking forward to this reply,considering Del played Swanks,but one of 101's golden childs got ripped a new one most of the second half.Don't apportion blame on anyone today,because we were outplayed by an immeasurably more expensive and experienced team.Win our next two games,and i'm confident we'll be above Hearts.Come on !!

What a day!

didny have any change for the number 62 bus from argyll up to parkhead so i gave the girl a fiver and she said she wouldnt give me any change.

get into the ground and start singing "Your seasons over why dont you go home" and then we get approached by a bunch of stewards, one total idiot says

"this is a celtic home game and this is offensive, why are you telling them to go home?" (meanwhile the mob up at the back of the first tear are standing up and shouting rebel songs) he then said we were a bunch of racists

the view from my seat was the worst ive ever experienced.. had no clue about the way saints where playing and basically couldnt see s***t!

Then.. when celtic scored... now that was one of the funniest things ive ever witnessed at a football match. Out came an army of police each time they scored, at least 9 i counted standing watching all 300 or so of us.

so near the end of the game some of the guys beside me fired up the song again

"Your gonna win **** all, your seasons over, why dont you go home" ...

police just threw the guy out. was a total shambles allround

Edited by Saint.Justin

What a day!

so near the end of the game some of the guys beside me fired up the song again

"Your gonna win **** all, your seasons over, why dont you go home" ...

He then gets thrown out!!

the people that were throwing out were people from my bus the same age as me and they said when they were getting taken away by the stewards some of the police were even questioning the stewards decision

Every element of enjoyment has been taken out of these games, a few of the younger lads got pestered time and time again fo singing ok standing up and blocking the view of other paying supporters isn't on but how is it possible to create any sort of atmosphere if all this is declared void, can I take this opportunity to apologise to the supporters of the dunkeld rd supporters bus for slating them for not attending because of this treatment, even a Celtic fan got spoken to for standing up and shouting " good, how many were singing? 4of u?" ridiculous.