Refs on strike

Derek Patterson

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of them do a good job so I say good on them. I agree with sleepless that this has gotten out of hand... what has happened at the top level filters down through the the ranks to those who referee the juniors and at youth level. it's no wonder ref's are leaving the game.. i heard a parent remark 2 weeks ago that the ref would probably come up with an excuse to justify an offside they didn't agree with

Toys out of the pram don;t criticise us or we will not play. £800 a weel and think they are above criticism.

Surely they have to follow exactly the same rules as any other employee who wants to strike. They have to give notice of their intentions after a secret ballot.

According to this mornings papers only 5 of the 31 passed their examines recently.

Not greatly surprised by this one to be honest. Its been brewing up for a while now and by the sounds of Reid's war cries at the Celtic AGM i cant really blame them. At very least it may force the SFA to finally stand up and address the concerns of all involved rather than allowing the continuation of the Celtic self publicists to try and set the agenda by greeting at the slightest contentious decision that goes against them.

Delightul quote from a Celtic fan on Pie & Bovril.

ffs... there are some really cr@p refs just as there are some good ones, but they are getting it in the neck at the moment and all these paranoid fecks can think is that the refs are striking to help Rangers.

It is impossible to referee an entire game without getting something wrong an making a wrong call.... unless its the most boring game ever and nothing happens and because of what has been going on these simple mistakes are getting blown out of all proportion.

These guys have families and no doubt the grief is spilling over into their home lives.

The standard is shocking so I can't believe they don't understand the criticism they are getting? If I was as bad at my job as them then I would expect to get some abuse.

Neil Lennon has taken it too far but who listens to that jumped up little prick anyway? If they want to strike they should do for Celtic games. Look at the decisions given against us against Hearts yet McInnes didn't complain to the press - why are we being punished. I'd just tell them they are fired if they strike - I'm sure there are plenty of refs looking to take the step up and the quality won't be that much worse (surely)!

If you think about it a different way these guys are the most powerful people in Scottish football. Let's say that they go on strike and this lasts several weeks, how many clubs who need the gate money to survive, could be pushed to the wall... no refs = no games, no games = no money, no money = administrators.... this could be the incident that pushes Dundee over the edge.

If you think about it a different way these guys are the most powerful people in Scottish football. Let's say that they go on strike and this lasts several weeks, how many clubs who need the gate money to survive, could be pushed to the wall... no refs = no games, no games = no money, no money = administrators.... this could be the incident that pushes Dundee over the edge.

I agree. But the best way to deal with strikers is to show them they are not needed. Get refs in from down south or abroad or even from the lower leagues. Whatever it takes to make sure this shower don't get their own way. If they want to change anything they should be more accountable for their decisions, be able to explain their decisions and offer an apology if they get it wrong.

Would imagine that there is a bit more behind their decision to possibly take strike action-certainly outwith the criticsm that some of them have received from Celtic and their fans,

Would think there are internal matters surrounding Dougie McDonald and Hugh Dallas that some of the top referees are unhappy with including the roles played in 1 or 2 leaving the game as a result.

The media will automatically jump on the Celtic conspiracy theories - but this has been going on longer than that,

I doubt if they will go on strike and certainly not 31 of them -so reckon the SPL games will survive.

Wouldnt be surprised to see in the press next week that Dougie McDonald has resigned for health reasons and that Dallas will step down as well.

Has been mentioned above, the referees are truely shocking with the odd good ref here and there. If I was the sfa I would fire any ref that went on strike! There will be loads of young refs out there bursting to get a shot at refereeing the spl, and let's face it they couldn't do any worse I don't think!

Has been mentioned above, the referees are truely shocking with the odd good ref here and there. If I was the sfa I would fire any ref that went on strike! There will be loads of young refs out there bursting to get a shot at refereeing the spl, and let's face it they couldn't do any worse I don't think!

That's part of the problem... the ref's are LEAVING the game at the lower levels!