Missing fans

saintcraigieboy

the thing that has been keeping me away of late has been the fact that i'm not wanting to pay £20 to see saints not score again and again i went to most games at the beginning and went to ireland but it's a hefty price to pay when your unemployed for a team that isn't exactly entertaining the crowds

The lack of goals (or sometimes any form of entertainment whatsoever) has probably been the reason for my apathy and not bothering to come up from Edinburgh for the last 3 or 4 home games.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lack of goals (or sometimes any form of entertainment whatsoever) has probably been the reason for my apathy and not bothering to come up from Edinburgh for the last 3 or 4 home games.

the only reason i'm attending at the moment is i borrowed a mates season ticket if i didnt have that i wouldnt have bothered

The post split fixtures are crap, no more saturday home games both midweek, that will mean more missing fans and unhappy season ticket holders who cant attend.

Do you think the Bank Holiday Monday game potentially could have attracted a decent support - if the game had had any significance whatsoever?

It will be the first game after watching the Saints power into the SC Final however :)

No Saturday home game is so wrong. Having a league with a split is stupid but there should be at least one of the two at home. I said at the Kilmarnock game it might be my last home game but travelling north for a meaningless match is not going to happen in midweek. If it had been on a Saturday I would have gone. As for Easter Monday I am in a staff meeting! It was said last year but ESPN do not seem to get that we don't have an Easter Monday football tradition in Scotland.

Possibly, but the three of us who have season tickets all work in a shop that will be open on the bank holiday, sick!!!!!!!!!!!

Aye but don't you finish at 12? :wink:

I wouldn't even know where to start on how to attract back 'missing fans'. I went through a period of about 6 or 7 years attending every game I possibly could, some seasons not missing a single game. This season I have chosen to miss so many and the main reason has been that it's too expensive. It's not that I can't afford to go. It's that I resent spending that much money on something that is so dire.

At this moment in time, I won't be renewing my season ticket. I am not sure if my attitude towards that will change or not over the course of the summer but if it doesn't, it'll be only the second time in over a decade that I've not had one. There's no way I'd be inclined to shell out that much money to watch a team that just doesn't entertain the fans. The lack of entertainment isn't down to not having the money to get the right players, because last season was fantastic and we're no better or worse off than then, really.

The post split fixtures are crap, no more saturday home games both midweek, that will mean more missing fans and unhappy season ticket holders who cant attend.

Agreed - I'm really having to think carefully about whether or not I'll renew now - only missed one home game so far (the rearranged Sheep one), but the OF games and now a 2pm ICT one means I'm having to take afternoons off work to travel from Edinburgh and that's getting costly.

I'm not sure lowering the prices alone would make a huge difference. When British football collectively raised its prices across the board the damage was done, and people gradually stopped going: nowadays most of those people have fallen out of the habit, and wouldn't be that interested in going back even if the prices dropped (something that has been demonstrated every time Saints have experimented with lower prices for one-off games - i.e. it makes very little difference to the crowd).

The generation of young football fans that have come up since then seem to have been lost to Sky Sports and are happy with pretending to support clubs they'll never see in the flesh - Chelsea, Man Utd, Rangers, Celtic etc. Why make the effort of travelling around the country to watch Forfar or Brechin, when you can sit at home pretending to be a Barcelona fan, watching your team win every week and still having time for a quick game on your X-Box at half-time? I doubt any of them could even begin to understand what truly supporting a football club through thick and thin actually means, but then it's not their fault. Perhaps those kids would all be supporting their local clubs now if prices hadn't risen so dramatically and driven their parents away 10-15 years ago, but the cultural change has happened now and it's hard to see any way of changing it back.

British football in general is suffering from this, it's not just Saints: pricing is part of it, but the over-exposure of the bigger clubs on TV, dropping standards of entertainment, poor league formats and a general perception that fans aren't being listened to (mid-week 6pm kick-offs probably representing a new low) are all just as relevant. But who will drive the change when the bigger clubs, who hold all the power, are also the ones who are benefiting?

Edited by blueheaven

Agreed - I'm really having to think carefully about whether or not I'll renew now - only missed one home game so far (the rearranged Sheep one), but the OF games and now a 2pm ICT one means I'm having to take afternoons off work to travel from Edinburgh and that's getting costly.

Perhaps the club are stuck between a rock and a hard place but at the end of the day, we can all cope with some midweek matches if they kick off at the usual sort of times. We can also cope with the silly weekend kick off times to accommodate television even though we'd rather play at 3pm on the Saturday afternoon (although I don't mind Sunday kick offs since Perth is such a ghost town on a Sunday, there's nothing to do!!!)

However, when you factor that in with games kicking off at 6pm to accommodate European matches, games kicking off at 2pm for English viewers of ESPN who don't even know who St.Johnstone are and several - almost guaranteed - postponements due to the weather in this country in the winter...

How can the club expect people to spend? I dread to think what it will be like for the club who seem to now be losing the following of some of their more loyal supporters this summer. It may not be their fault, but it's unrealistic to expect people to pay for a season ticket if there is any doubt whatsoever that they will be able to attend the vast majority of games and after this season, there's got to be a lot of doubt!

I'm not sure lowering the prices alone would make a huge difference. When British football collectively raised its prices across the board the damage was done, and people gradually stopped going: nowadays most of those people have fallen out of the habit, and wouldn't be that interested in going back even if the prices dropped (something that has been demonstrated every time Saints have experimented with lower prices for one-off games - i.e. it makes very little difference to the crowd).

The generation of young football fans that have come up since then seem to have been lost to Sky Sports and are happy with pretending to support clubs they'll never see in the flesh - Chelsea, Man Utd, Rangers, Celtic etc. Why make the effort of travelling around the country to watch Forfar or Brechin, when you can sit at home pretending to be a Barcelona fan, watching your team win every week and still having time for a quick game on your X-Box at half-time? I doubt any of them could even begin to understand what truly supporting a football club through thick and thin actually means, but then it's not their fault. Perhaps those kids would all be supporting their local clubs now if prices hadn't risen so dramatically and driven their parents away 10-15 years ago, but the cultural change has happened now and it's hard to see any way of changing it back.

British football in general is suffering from this, it's not just Saints: pricing is part of it, but the over-exposure of the bigger clubs on TV, dropping standards of entertainment, poor league formats and a general perception that fans aren't being listened to (mid-week 6pm kick-offs probably representing a new low) are all just as relevant. But who will drive the change when the bigger clubs, who hold all the power, are also the ones who are benefiting?

Cracking post as ever BH.

Its the way the kids are being tought to play from an early age now Ryzo.It's all one touch with no individuality.A young lad isn't allowed to take on a man even in the u-12s and u-13s and is shouted at for doing this.If there isn't a pass forward never take the man on,pass it back but keep possession eventually going to the keeper so he can boot it out for a throw-in or give it to the opposing team.
Now we`re getting somewhere your totally correct.The coachings crap,they all go to largs get the badges come back to their clubs coach the same way and the result is all the teams play the same way.Totally boring and no individual talent

Now we`re getting somewhere your totally correct.The coachings crap,they all go to largs get the badges come back to their clubs coach the same way and the result is all the teams play the same way.Totally boring and no individual talent

I was watching an interview on BBC news with a Futsal (?) coach who was outlining the difference between this game and football. He said that they encourage close control and technique whereas in football the first thing you are taught is:

"If in doubt, play it out".

And there, Scottish Football is defined in one sentence.

how about geoff broon announcing in the P.A. that he got it wrong banning the 22 fans all those years ago (5/6 yrs i think) for something that happened 100 miles from mcdairmid, and involved hearts (the scummiest fans in scotland outside the OF) or at least saying- "they have been punished long enough, served their time and now free to create some atmosphere at the increasingly empty mcdairmid"

Q. have you seen any other club follow this lead of banning their own fan's?

A. NO- because it was a feckin stupid decision!!!!

swallow your giant pride mr brown and un-ban these fan's now.:idea:

and let's not forget the jambo's that were in trouble that day are NOT banned from mcd weirdly enough!:confused:

Just you stick to sympathising with your wee team! :wink:

I will! However, you saw with your own eyes a few weeks ago what a great atmosphere a massive 'up for it' support can create when a town/city has a great feeling about its team. It's the way it should be at the football in my opinion. So far away from that here.

I will! However, you saw with your own eyes a few weeks ago what a great atmosphere a massive 'up for it' support can create when a town/city has a great feeling about its team. It's the way it should be at the football in my opinion. So far away from that here.

I was rather unmoved by it, actually!

No doubt Stoke have great fans, but their fitba's as bad as ours!How many long throws or punts upfield did you witness?