#42 - 25/04/11 - Saints 0-3 Inverness CT - SPL

Moving on......

I suspect there will be limited interest in the final 5 games of the season but hey, I am still up for it and I am sure there will be some others.

I get the idea that most would now like to see Del do some switching and start to prepare for the next campaign. So on that thought, what do the wise sages of WAP suggest for this game??

It's over to you.:D

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to really care about these matches at the moment but they need played and it's a chance for the players to win the fans back if they can. For all I see the merits in experimenting, five defeats would be a disaster and I don't think we can afford to go into next season off the back of five shockers, in addition to the recent run (of results) we've had. Not to mention the money at stake for each finishing position. Maybe £200,000 or even more the difference between finishing eleventh and seventh. That is a huge part of our budget.

As I result I expect to see McInnes put out teams he thinks can win matches. Most of the guys in the squad have had all season to stake a claim for places so if they haven't managed it now, you have to question what the point of giving them the chance now is. I really like(d) Andy Jackson but if he can't get in a side that can't buy a goal by his performances in training etc... what is the point of throwing him in now?

Big test of McInnes and Docherty getting the players lifted again though. The club are gonna struggle to sell season tickets as it is, without the players adding to the woes over the next few weeks. Time for them to restore some pride.

If we do lose some of these games, the manner of the defeat may make a difference....if we go out to win the games and play attacking football, but say, go down 3-2, I think that the fans may accept this. What would almost be worse is five 0-0 draws

Agreed - we need to go out and rediscover some of the flair and attacking play that got us the plaudits and entertainment last season.

As for the team I'd expect Del to favour the players that will be here next year - May to start a couple of games and the likes of Reynolds and Caddis to get more time on the pitch.

It would be typical for us to find some goals now that the season is more or less over.

Agree that McInnes will be looking to get as high as possible to improve his budget for the new season if nothing else and so I don't expect many changes. Probably Robertson will get a start pretty much right through to the end of the season. Jackson? If he was going to get his chance, he would have had it by now. Robertson and May upfront for me.

The players themselves are (hopefully) hurting after yesterday and will look to show they care.

Can't make the game myself...but would have turned up if I could.

Dilema for Del.

Does he stick with the guys that have dragged out a few points over the season in the hope that he can finish as high as possible or let the likes of Doobs & a few others who will not be with us next season go home & start planning for next season.

I would go with later..

Really looking forward to seeing how the boys bounce back for this game. It's matches like this that tell us all we need to know about the attitude of our players. Those who have their heart set on remaining a saintee next year should play out their skins, and i'm sure many of the lads will.

Really positive about this game. The pressure is on and I think Del and the team will shine.

2-0 Saints

Really looking forward to seeing how the boys bounce back for this game. It's matches like this that tell us all we need to know about the attitude of our players. Those who have their heart set on remaining a saintee next year should play out their skins, and i'm sure many of the lads will.

Really positive about this game. The pressure is on and I think Del and the team will shine.

2-0 Saints

It was yesterday just like the game at Caley that we needed them to play out of their skins. On both occasions they did not turn up. First meant top 6 was gone Second meant cup final was gone.See any common thread there . No bottle.

It was yesterday just like the game at Caley that we needed them to play out of their skins. On both occasions they did not turn up. First meant top 6 was gone Second meant cup final was gone.See any common thread there . No bottle.

Yes, we expected more, and deserved more in those games. I saw obvious signs of complacency and like many fans, haven't enjoyed watching the saints recently. But the backlash only properly started after yesterday's games, so i reckon it's only now that the players will appreciate how pants they've been and do something about it.

In other words, we've been pish, but from now, we will improve.

Should give Jackson, May, Reynolds and Caddis some game time in the last 5 games.

Jackson deserves the same chance that Peaso has gotten.

Heard a rumour ( one of these 3rd hand ones, where someone heard it from someone that knows someone etc etc ) that Jackson has signed a contract with Morton for next year and Mcinnes isnae chuffed with him at not taking advantage of the 6 months he gave him to prove himself here and thats why he aint getting a chance.

No idea how true that is though.

For this game and the other remaining fixtures I'd like to see us go:

Enks

Maybury Ando Doobs Grainger

Invincible Moon Caddis Craig

Reynolds Robertson

SUBS (on rotation): Clark, Smith, Gartland, MacKay, Adams, Morris, Millar, Davidson, Taylor, Jackson, Samuel, MacDonald, May

We are 15 points clear of Hamilton with 15 to play for so once they drop points we are safe. With this in mind we should use these games to give the youths more experience, assess players with a question mark over their future and try out different formations/tactics. A rotation policy needs to be adopted so everyone gets their chance. If Del sees any other youths having a future at the club they too should be included.

Novikovas can go back to Hearts if he doesn't intend to sign for us.

If we do lose some of these games, the manner of the defeat may make a difference....if we go out to win the games and play attacking football, but say, go down 3-2, I think that the fans may accept this. What would almost be worse is five 0-0 draws

i agree, attack attack attack, we need goals and lots of them, whether its a 4-3-3, 4-4-2 or a bloody 1-1-8 formation we need goals, the only thing we can play for now is pride and aim for some record breaking score-lines against the other 5 teams, so come on saints entertain the troops, because that's what it's meant to be about! entertainment:idea: i dont want to see the number 5 in defence or midfield formation for the remainder of the season and i certainly dont want to see "nil" beside saints in the final scores.

Would folk be happy if McInnes experimented but as a result we finished eleventh, going into next season as at best joint favourites for relegation, with the fact we haven't won in however long in the back of the minds and with a budget that is more than £200,000 (maybe significantly more) down on what it could be?

IMO finishing seventh and getting the money that goes with it is more important than tinkering with the side. We've played forty games already this season so he pretty much knows what everyone apart from Robertson can do.

Also have to say I don't see the rush to decide if May, Reynolds, Caddis etc... are good enough. They are still very young. Look at where guys like Murphy, Goodwillie and Maguire were at the same age. Probably at the same level as Stevie May. We can't just cast guys off at 18-years-old if they aren't in the first team.

For me, Adams,Mooner,May,Robertson,Anderson, need to play every game to see if they are up to the consistency/fitness required for next season and hopefully end the season on a resonable high as regulars, Murray we know what he can do if he gets his move then he will be gone next year.I would mabey keep Peso for experience,workrate and the odd goal as cheap option. Jackson,Gartland,Taylor,Maybury,Parker,Invincible,Smith move on if we can and hope we can get young,fast,hungray in for the same wages.

For me, Adams,Mooner,May,Robertson,Anderson, need to play every game to see if they are up to the consistency/fitness required for next season and hopefully end the season on a resonable high as regulars

Anderson? Excuse me.

Fitness for next season? That is a whole 4 months away, anything can happen between now and then and what they do in the last five games will have no reflect on what they are capable of. It is five pointless games basically and the only thing left to play for is money.

Jackson,Gartland,Taylor,Maybury,Parker,Invincible,Smith move on if we can and hope we can get young,fast,hungray in for the same wages.

Gartland still has a year left on his contract so I am 100% certain he will be here next season, especially if Duberry leaves. Maybury is a great option for the bench and in his last few appearances has shown how good he is.

Anderson? Excuse me.

Fitness for next season? That is a whole 4 months away, anything can happen between now and then and what they do in the last five games will have no reflect on what they are capable of. It is five pointless games basically and the only thing left to play for is money.

Gartland still has a year left on his contract so I am 100% certain he will be here next season, especially if Duberry leaves. Maybury is a great option for the bench and in his last few appearances has shown how good he is.

What ever

Would folk be happy if McInnes experimented but as a result we finished eleventh, going into next season as at best joint favourites for relegation, with the fact we haven't won in however long in the back of the minds and with a budget that is more than £200,000 (maybe significantly more) down on what it could be?

Finishing eleventh may not be due to experimentation. Unfortunately. :laugh:

Finishing eleventh may not be due to experimentation. Unfortunately. :laugh:

That's of course true but I'd at least rather try and finish seventh and put a few extra quid in the kitty to try and improve the squad. Taking this £200,000 as a figure, that could be four extra players.

A good month and the pain of yesterday will at least be dulled IMO and folk will be looking forward to next season. Last thing we want is to be heading into August with the thoughts of yesterday and what's followed still in the minds.

Also have to say I don't see the rush to decide if May, Reynolds, Caddis etc... are good enough. They are still very young. Look at where guys like Murphy, Goodwillie and Maguire were at the same age. Probably at the same level as Stevie May. We can't just cast guys off at 18-years-old if they aren't in the first team.

Don't think its a question of seeing if they're good enough but we've little to lose now in getting them a lot more first team games especially ahead of the likes of (say) Jacko, Invincible etc who won't be here next season.