Things that old folk say.....

Edstar101

The Hon Man - "Ah wis at Blackpool Tower last weekend, and awwww thae pesky seagulls" when enjoying one of his free holidays.

The Nature Man - "Murderrrr in the glen" when some hawk kills a moose.

Francis Gay - "Let's aw be brithers or freends"....the "Friendship Book".

DC Thomson was a non-union shop and all the journalists worked under pseudonyms (had tae look that ane up tae spell it rite)

The Sunday Post said........

(the weather, the letters page, the queries man, etc,etc)

My father was a member of the Ex-Servicemens Club. He would mark the date of the AGM on the calendar at home. However he would be well warned about his drinking as soon as he had marked the date.

He decided not to mark the calendar. On the evening of the AGM would go and get ready then announce he was away to the AGM. Smart thinking. Would say "Meant to mark it on the calendar".

• 2 weeks later...

Okay the school holidays started today. When I was at school it always annoyed me, when a neighbour would keep asking ""When are you back at school?" and always got "We never got the holidays you do".

AND as for the "Back to School" notices which appeared in shops..........Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

When I wis a teenager the Sunday night thing wis the monkey walk, along the High St doon St John St along South St up Methven St and so on.

So one Sunday am oot wie my mates doing the walk and they aw had two piece suits I didnea but my auld dears were away doon to St Andrews for the weekend

so I says feckit on wie the auld mans good suit and away oot wie the mates who said oh you got a new suit John aye I says thinkin I'll have it back hame before the auld dears are off the last bus at half ten. Next thing who do I see coming doon the street about nine o clock my folks the auld man sees me then says get away hame and take my bloody suit off I felt about the size off a moose, the wee brither wis wie them and he was pishin himself laughin and still kids me on about it.