Would you boycott Sky?

Broon

Would you cancel your Sky if they try to renegotiate their terms?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The newspapers are full of chat today about Sky looking to renegotiate their deal with the SPL. Taking into consideration the fantastic article by A Saint in Asia its clear that any renegotiation of TV deal should actually involve an increase in funding for the SPL but we know this will not be the case.

Consequently, when Sky inevitably try to screw Sottish Football will you be prepared to cancel your subscription? We've already shown that Fan power can influence our game to the highest level as ultimately we are the bread and butter of our game. We are also the bread and butter of TV companies and they know it. A threat of mass walk out could just be the reminder they need....

So would you cancel Sky?

I would and there goes £100 p/m from their income.....

I wouldn't. I don't actually think Sky has done anything wrong. This whole mess is collectively Scottish football's own fault (predominantly the SFA's). Besides, there's far too much football on TV anyway, and it's partly Scottish football's obsession with keeping broadcasters sweet that has created this mess. It's not Sky's fault that our governing bodies are seemingly terrified of disagreeing with or upsetting them.

As a customer, I'm far happier with the service I get from Sky than the service I get from Scottish football.

One thing I am highly unlikely to ever do again, however, is buy a ticket for a Scotland game. The SFA, as a corrupt organisation with no interest in sporting fairness, has no right to run a football team.

I don't have the Sky Sports package, but if I had, I would keep it for the golf.

Too much football on the telly, and quite honestly I could do without it.

Attending Saints games, and Match of the Day on the Beeb, is enough for me.

Scottish football is pretty average to be honest, and you have to be at the game to appreciate it IMO. We seldom look good on telly I'm afraid.

If Skys actions meant that St.Johnstone/and Scottish football in general suffered I would cancel. I think we have to wait and see but we may find that a boycott of Sky may be required if Scottish football is to survive the current cisis. Make no mistake, should Sky pull out ( this coming season) our club WILL enter administration. That is a fact of which I am certain.

If the current deal is slightly reduced/renegotiated for the next two seasons( which is what is left on this current contract) Saints might just be okay and will have a bit of time to cut costs to a level where we are safer before the end of the contract.

Anyone who thinks we are safe whatever happens is gonna be in for a big surprise..

This whole mess is nothing to do with Sky. They paid for a product that would attract viewers, i.e. TFOD and TFOE. With no old firm derbies, and the only one remaining team likely to draw viewing figures, they're not getting what they paid for. How many non-saints fans sat through the whole 90 mins of our bore draw with Aberdeen last season?! The issue is that scottish football has been in decline for a number of years and so the value to tv companies is going to drop.

If Skys actions meant that St.Johnstone/and Scottish football in general suffered I would cancel. I think we have to wait and see but we may find that a boycott of Sky may be required if Scottish football is to survive the current cisis. Make no mistake, should Sky pull out ( this coming season) our club WILL enter administration. That is a fact of which I am certain.

If the current deal is slightly reduced/renegotiated for the next two seasons( which is what is left on this current contract) Saints might just be okay and will have a bit of time to cut costs to a level where we are safer before the end of the contract.

Anyone who thinks we are safe whatever happens is gonna be in for a big surprise..

You seem very sure of these big statements you're making. Please can you explain what you're basing them on? It's bad enough having the various football authorities indulging in unsubstantiated doom-mongering without fans doing it too. How is it that Saints, and other clubs, seemed to be thriving before Sky came along? I seem to remember bigger crowds back then and relative good financial health across the board (and how many clubs went into administration before the era of the big-money TV deal?).

Regarding some of the comments above about Sky and Murdoch: I don't pay anywhere near £100 a month, and as monstrous as Murdoch is, he provides me with a significantly better service than Regan or Doncaster do.

It's not Sky's job to prop up Scottish football. The sooner clubs and supporters accept that, the better it'll be for everyone.

This is the rather sad reality of standing up for what is right but as our late friends famously once said, no surrender!

You can't possibly be certain of that, what a ludicrous thing to come out with.

You can't possibly be certain of that, what a ludicrous thing to come out with.

Who says I cannae be certain of that?? YOU??? How do you know what I know or don't?? Is that not also ludicrous?

I know what I know. If you dinnae like it, dinnae believe it or fail to accept it that's your choice. No skin of my nose.

Based on what? That's one hell of a statement to make without justifying it!

St.Johnstone have player contracts which they must honour. These contracts are drawn up and budgeted for on the basis of projections of cash coming in . For this season, that projection includes Sky money at the level it has been for last season. So we have offered contracts based on what we can afford. If suddenly ( and as I said in my post it's a big IF) the £1million plus that we get through the SKY deal vanishes, we are unable to honour these contract and pay our bills at the same time. It is very simple. If we have a year to prepare, the club can reduce costs accordingly through player release and renegotiation for those who's contracts are up and who the club feel they can afford to keep.

We MIGHT not have a year though and if not, Admin is certain..

Not pretty reading but at least I hope you understand where I am coming from now.

I can say it because you're not directly involved in the running of our club.

The most information you could have is having been told something from a club source. No matter have senior they may be it's still second hand information and means you personally can't be 100% certain at all. And if this is the case, I don't think it's appropriate for you to use such information to comment so assertively on a topic you are not directly involved in.

I can say it because you're not directly involved in the running of our club.

The most information you could have is having been told something from a club source. No matter have senior they may be it's still second hand information and means you personally can't be 100% certain at all. And if this is the case, I don't think it's appropriate for you to use such information to comment so assertively on a topic you are not directly involved in.

Why? Because you don't like it?? It's the truth and people need to know.If it makes you feel uncomfortable then thats tough.

How about getting yourself a hold of a shareholders annual report. Look at the figures. Take the Sky income out of the equation.Then tell me I can't know.

Edited by The ghost of Jim Morton

It's not as simple as just removing the sky figure. Have you taken into account our cash reserves and assets? Could we not cover the shortfall for a year with them, then make cut backs? There's lots of variables.

And that's still your interpretation of our accounts, not a certainty.

As far as I'm aware the Sky deal is worth around £10mil per year to the SPL, I think you're taking figures based on the distribution of the full TV rights money when you quote £1mil+?

Of course losing that income will be of detriment to the club, but to say it will categorically put the club in administration within a year is slightly far fetched.

If I was fired from my job would I be a certainty to be declared bankrupt within a set time frame, just because my income had changed whilst my outgoings hadn't? Of course not, I would adjust in a number of ways - and the club would do the same.

Plus, being a realist, do you think Sky going to walk away completely from the SPL?

Back on topic, why would you boycott Sky? They have a contract based on having the old firm matches, and as they no longer have that then they can renegotiate or walk away if they wish. Sky's decision will be based on business alone, and it's poor business by the SPL that's got us here.

As far as I'm aware the Sky deal is worth around £10mil per year to the SPL, I think you're taking figures based on the distribution of the full TV rights money when you quote £1mil+?

Of course losing that income will be of detriment to the club, but to say it will categorically put the club in administration within a year is slightly far fetched.

If I was fired from my job would I be a certainty to be declared bankrupt within a set time frame, just because my income had changed whilst my outgoings hadn't? Of course not, I would adjust in a number of ways - and the club would do the same.

Plus, being a realist, do you think Sky going to walk away completely from the SPL?

Back on topic, why would you boycott Sky? They have a contract based on having the old firm matches, and as they no longer have that then they can renegotiate or walk away if they wish. Sky's decision will be based on business alone, and it's poor business by the SPL that's got us here.

If Sky can walk away immediately then that is another reason Doncaster should go. To negotiate such a poor contract should be considered gross misconduct.