Train Station

dan loves saints

Despite living away from Perth for nearly 40 years now, and returning regularly for Weddings, Christenings, Funerals and Saints games, I can count on one hand the number of times I've used Perth Station. Edinburgh via Stirling? Dinnae be daft. Glasgow wi the airport away on the other side? Nae way. Eberdeen? Better by bus.

I have found with the snow that Edinburgh airport was more susceptible to closure over Glasgow. And that the buses were up and running before the trains. Go in and out of Glasgow and get the airport bus to buchannen street then on to Perth. Cheap as chips as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the station. The new flyover they are almost finished building I think takes away from the character of the station. There's an eery feeling about the place at night when it's almost deserted which I like. I use the station twice a week, at least, and don't think it needs changed much. The toilets as has been mentioned have been upgraded and are actually quite pleasant now.

If you look at other through stations like the two Falkirks, Larbert, Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes, Dundee and Ayr, there is no character whatsoever and I would be a bit gutted if Perth was to lose that character. Even stations like Glasgow Central and Queen St, Waverley, Stirling and Aberdeen have retained the old buildings but just don't have the same feel about them with their ticket barriers and upmarket eateries. The old cafe will do for me

They are currently adding lifts to get to the walkways instead of having to use the ramps to get across all the platforms. Platform 4 has been refurbished and the offices between 4 and 7 are to be tidied up and put to better use. The old entrance frmo the car park by the hotel has been done up and is now toughened glass and may yet be used for another entrance/exit.

There was rumours that the bus station is set to move to the back of the old entrance from the car park by the hotel and where the bus station his now the were going to be buliding move flats.

Not used the buses in Perth for a few years now but having to go to BroxBURN is a bit extrerme is a bit extreme is it not? :laugh:/>

ha. you ken what he meant.

Talk of bus station moving to caley rd. been mooted for at least last 10 years.

Don't think it will happen now.

The megabus thing to EDI/GLASGOW is great but the present departure point up at Broxburn is exteremly inconvenient

They usually do buses from both broxden and the bus station, think the one from the bus station to Glasgow takes about 20 minutes though longer if I remember right. It stops of once or twice along the way to pickup folk.

There is a lot of unused ground around the railway station it would make sense to use some of it for a bus station.Going back many years now did buses not leave from what is now the car park at the station entrance?

And they used to turn the steam locos round where Tesco now is on Edinburgh Road.......

Can you remember when that was Kevin. Was just tellign someone about that last week who was convinced there was another supermarket there before Tesco. I reckon not as sure Tesco bought the land from the railways

I used to go and watch the engines turning there with my grandad in the late 50's. he was a train driver and we got up close and dirty!

I used to go and watch the engines turning there with my grandad in the late 50's. he was a train driver and we got up close and dirty!

Was the Transportel(Transport Cafe) or what ever it was called not just behind that!? Seem to remember there being a place where they loaded cars on to trains too round about Station Hotel area, got moved to Stirling in 70,s i think.

On a footnote Perth could be a beautiful Station again if they opened it up and took away the monstrosity that is the 70S Style bit at the front.I have faint memories of the Station before the built that when you entered by the arch way to the right of the add on bit.

Cars were loaded onto rail to the rear of the station hotel in Caledonian Road.

This has long been redundant and has been used for car parking. As said, it was considered as a new bus terminal but like other great ideas has not come to fruition.

Mainly due to the fact that Perth and Kinross Council in their cosy relationship and financial

subsidy of a multi national company have allowed

them to trade out of broxden park and ride, to the exclusion of a small family business ( Smith and co.)

This area is owned by the council to which we, as residents contribute by means of council tax.

Think our money could be spent on more meaningfull things than subsidising multi millionaires

Don't get me wrong Stagecoach provide a wonderful service but you have to question their ,for the want of a better word, tactics in achieving

their goal.

Edited by HOODLUM65

Was the Transportel(Transport Cafe) or what ever it was called not just behind that!? Seem to remember there being a place where they loaded cars on to trains too round about Station Hotel area, got moved to Stirling in 70,s i think.

On a footnote Perth could be a beautiful Station again if they opened it up and took away the monstrosity that is the 70S Style bit at the front.I have faint memories of the Station before the built that when you entered by the arch way to the right of the add on bit.

I am not quite as old as Larky but agree with all of the above. Edited by SingaporeSaint