Super Saints V Ict 22/2/14 Ko 1500.

rik2304

Well...

Poor. Very, very poor. We didn't start playing until we were a goal down. The midfield were WOEFUL from start to finish, Hasselbaink looked ok at times but missed a sitter. I've always liked Midge but today he was useless. Stevie didn't seem himself and all in all we can't complain that we got nothing from it.

As an aside, Euan Norris is an absolute clown. The first half bookings were laughable and the game was never going to flow with free kicks being given for looking at people the wrong way.

Not a good day and worrying times ahead.

Massive questions yet again of TW. Mackay, McDonald and Wotherspoon have all been utterly brutal for months yet remain stick on starters. Admittedly Mackay and Wotherspoon showed improvements today, but that shouldn't matter nor should it been seen as some justification for him sticking by them

The line up was yet again awful. ICT are well known for having a powerful midfield with Foran and Draper using their physique. Its been that way for years, yet TW decides to start with Cregg, Millar and McDonald, not one of them has a single bit of presence or physicality. Dunne was an obvious, obvious selection simply due to the fact he actually seems to be able to hold players off. So for the entire match the midfield gets bullied all over the pitch, yet TW doesn't bring on our only physical midfielder, instead he decides to move a winger in to the middle of the park  :huh: The ICT central defence is well known for being physically strong and able to win anything in the air, so we decide to start with only May up front and punt hopeless balls to him for 45 minutes. We then bring on Iwelumo at the point when Inverness have already scored, and the were able to drop midfielders back to deal with him and let the defence deal with the flick ons due to the knowledge they needed nothing going forward, his role was completely pointless. 

I actually thought Millar was good today, he works hard, helps the defence and wins his fair share of the ball. Why he got subbed ahead of McDonald I've no idea, as McDonald was completely anonymous. There was an incident in the second half where Millar done his usual turning into trouble, but the fought like **** on his hands and knees against two Caley players and actually won the ball, it rolls free and McDonald actually jumps over it and it goes to a Caley player  :LAUGH OUT LOUD: he then repeated this feat a minute or so later. He's utterly ****ing brutal

May clearly couldn't be arsed after watching the ball fly over his head constantly for an entire half, his pot shot from about 40 yards was petulant and stupid seeing as we had a four-on-four situation on the go. Hasselbaink is incredibly predictable and offers little going forward in truth, he has magic in there somewhere but its only shown about 5 minutes every year. 

Big changes required for Tuesday, not sure we'll actually see any though. TW will likely go down his all to predictable route of dropping only Cregg and Hasselbaink and leaving the others.

Play-Offs are a very real possibility in truth, if we continue to struggle to make chances for May then he won't score, and if he doesn't then nobody else does, and that'll lead to poor results all round

Edited by RandomGuy

TW is a tough one.

The idea of sacking him is ludicrous, as he has us in a position where, despite 2 good recent seasons, realistically Saints fans should be mildly content.

However, I just can't see him taking us any further than that, ever.

Edited by Jiangsu Sainty

TW needs to stop playing Millar and MacDonald. Both can't tackle, can't shoot or break the play up. Hard work means feck all when you then can't pass it 5 yards.

Major shake needs to happen. I'd drop MacKay, Millar, Hasselbaink, Spoony and MacDonald for Motherwell. Why sign loads of midfield players and not play them. Can't justify that this is as good as it gets in midfield. Losing all the first challenges and most of the second ball.

Caley came, scored then sat in.

Referee needed subbed. Bloody awful performance. May assaulted twice by their centre half but everything was advantage.

Disgrace at no penalty award. Think it was Shinnie moved his arm across to block the ball. No idea why no penalty.

Think the team needs to learn to shoot.

Bloody inept.

Changes will be required injury wise, On the way out someone said Fraz has suspected broken leg? and Scobbie looked injured at the end TW wanted him off but he stayed on, any confirmed news on Fraz

It looked to me like Scobbie was asking to be subbed but Tommy kept him on.

We can't afford to have Millar and McDonald playing together. Its not working.

TW is a tough one.

The idea of sacking him is ludicrous, as he has us in a position where, despite 2 good recent seasons, realistically Saints fans should be mildly content.

However, I just can't see him taking us any further than that, ever.

This whole thing brings up horrible memories of Sandy Clarks time in charge, I don't think TW knows how to build a squad and the poor tactics and selections are just brutally exposing the poor squad

Massive questions yet again of TW. Mackay, McDonald and Wotherspoon have all been utterly brutal for months yet remain stick on starters. Admittedly Mackay and Wotherspoon showed improvements today, but that shouldn't matter nor should it been seen as some justification for him sticking by them

The line up was yet again awful. ICT are well known for having a powerful midfield with Foran and Draper using their physique. Its been that way for years, yet TW decides to start with Cregg, Millar and McDonald, not one of them has a single bit of presence or physicality. Dunne was an obvious, obvious selection simply due to the fact he actually seems to be able to hold players off. So for the entire match the midfield gets bullied all over the pitch, yet TW doesn't bring on our only physical midfielder, instead he decides to move a winger in to the middle of the park  :huh: The ICT central defence is well known for being physically strong and able to win anything in the air, so we decide to start with only May up front and punt hopeless balls to him for 45 minutes. We then bring on Iwelumo at the point when Inverness have already scored, and the were able to drop midfielders back to deal with him and let the defence deal with the flick ons due to the knowledge they needed nothing going forward, his role was completely pointless. 

I actually thought Millar was good today, he works hard, helps the defence and wins his fair share of the ball. Why he got subbed ahead of McDonald I've no idea, as McDonald was completely anonymous. There was an incident in the second half where Millar done his usual turning into trouble, but the fought like **** on his hands and knees against two Caley players and actually won the ball, it rolls free and McDonald actually jumps over it and it goes to a Caley player  :LAUGH OUT LOUD: he then repeated this feat a minute or so later. He's utterly ****ing brutal

May clearly couldn't be arsed after watching the ball fly over his head constantly for an entire half, his pot shot from about 40 yards was petulant and stupid seeing as we had a four-on-four situation on the go. Hasselbaink is incredibly predictable and offers little going forward in truth, he has magic in there somewhere but its only shown about 5 minutes every year. 

Big changes required for Tuesday, not sure we'll actually see any though. TW will likely go down his all to predictable route of dropping only Cregg and Hasselbaink and leaving the others.

Play-Offs are a very real possibility in truth, if we continue to struggle to make chances for May then he won't score, and if he doesn't then nobody else does, and that'll lead to poor results all round

You can't possibly be serious.  I'm usually a big supporter of Midge, but that was as poor a game as he's ever had for us.

As soon as I heard that we were starting with Millar and McDonald again, my heart sank. That pairing will not WIN you a game. Throw Cregg in with them and we have nothing going forward in that central midfield. Why Dunne (for the reasons stated earlier by someone) didn't start is far ****in beyond me that it is a dot on the horizon.

I happened to be standing with Jackie MacNamara today and said to him before kick off that we wouldn't win with that pair in CM.

Poor, poor tactics from TW again today and another 3 points poorly conceded

Why sign Dunne if he's not any better than the three centre mids playing today.If we've no youngsters that can compete for a jersey against those today,we must be struggling.I've stuck up for Midge and Gary Mac all season,but they're just not producing anything of value imo.Felt sorry for Spoony,the only one in the middle with any desire,skill or vision,almost a one man midfield at times.Nigel,Wright,Easton and Scobbie got pass marks too from me 

You can't possibly be serious.  I'm usually a big supporter of Midge, but that was as poor a game as he's ever had for us.

I thought he was our best central midfielder (not saying much I suppose), and in the second half he started getting a grip on the midfield and done his role of ball winner well. It baffles me why you think that was one of the worst games he's ever had for us, he was the only midfielder who was actually winning the ball and turning over possession, and in general I think he's probably the best option we have to play that ball winner role. He needs a physical presence beside him though

Very poor stuff today.  We started slowly and never got going all day.  I've backed quite a few players when they've been getting stick, but I'm afraid Millar and MacDonald will have to accept any criticism that comes their way for today's performance.  Cregg wasn't any better and I'm guessing Tommy drew straws before deciding which one stayed inside at half-time.  Despite missing probably our two best chances, I thought Nigel played well today.

The referee as absolutely laughable - he managed to lose control of a game that hardly had a tackle in it, missed a clear penalty and made Collum look competent.  That said, he wasn't the cause of us losing today.

I thought he was our best central midfielder (not saying much I suppose), and in the second half he started getting a grip on the midfield and done his role of ball winner well. It baffles me why you think that was one of the worst games he's ever had for us, he was the only midfielder who was actually winning the ball and turning over possession, and in general I think he's probably the best option we have to play that ball winner role. He needs a physical presence beside him though

Surely a ball-winner needs to be his own physical presence.  Millar is usually very good at holding the ball, he's a player I usually stick up for - but not today, he was poor and annoyed me by trying to blame others when he made a very obvious mistake in the second half (about 2 minutes before he was taken off).

May's attitude today was nearly as bad as Hasselbainks. Said it all, he sulked and it showed. Ref was as bad as usual. Neither team deserved to win, had Wright been on itd have finished 0-0.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Hasselbainks attitude - he wanted the ball at every opportunity today.  Not everything worked for him, but it had nothing to do with his attitude.

Surely a ball-winner needs to be his own physical presence.  Millar is usually very good at holding the ball, he's a player I usually stick up for - but not today, he was poor and annoyed me by trying to blame others when he made a very obvious mistake in the second half (about 2 minutes before he was taken off).

His energy and drive are key to his role, and today he was one of our better players

You don't need to be a big hulking **** to be a ball winner. He does his role by harassing the opposition and nipping the ball away from oppositions feet. He's weak in the tackle without doubt, as is every other midfielder we seem to have, but he's the best player to play that role that we've got. And today he played that role better than quite a few others played theirs 

I'm not saying hes brilliant, nor am I saying he should be a stick on starter for us regardless of the squad quality. He's quite clearly an incredibly limited player who relies heavily on his energy, but with the squad as it stands he's the best to play that defensive role, as nobody else is as good all round. And he wasn't one of the worst players today. We all know he's limited, and he knows it too, so he tries to concentrate on doing the defensive side of things more than the offensive stuff, as he knows theres better players than him who can do the attacking side of things. And I personally think that he does his job well in that respect 

As most have said we were never going to win today with that midfield

Have lost a little faith in TW putting out such a negative team at home. McDonald is never going to get injured as he shirks every tackle & tries to avoid the ball as well.

What to feck was Mannus doing at the goal. The ball was in the air for 10minutes & comes down in the 6yard box & he didn't come for it.

I was worried about us dropping out of the top 6. I am now more worried about play off spot. Hard games ahead.