Super Saints V Ict 22/2/14 Ko 1500.

rik2304

Blueheaven has made me :cry:

A lot of good points there.

Am I correct in thinking that the only player who has been signed by TW that actually plays regularly is McDonald? Was Spoony signed by Lomas? All of the others are bit part at best or appear to be U20's prospects.

I had high hopes that Dunne was going to be a straight swap for Muzz and we would see him playing a significant part but this hasn't yet happened. It might still of course, time will tell.

I hate to make rash reactions :cool: but in all honesty there didn't seem to be much difference between Fallon and Iwelumo.

Pretty sure TW signed Spoony.  Easton is his signing too.  Regardless of that though, Blue heaven is right - Tommy's own signings don't play enough of a part to make you think he's done well in the transfer market.  

In the interests of balance, don't forget we finished third because we were very lucky. Indeed, if we hadn't sneaked a lucky win against Dundee United in the weeks leading up to the split, we might have finished in the bottom half of the league. And the player whose drive secured that final push was already on his way out of the club.

That's not to disagree with your sentiments though: we are going through a bad spell. There are few Saints managers I'd like to succeed more than Tommy Wright - not sure if that's healthy!

I wouldn't agree we we "very lucky", I thought that over the piece we deserved 3rd place last season.  The united game was a draw and the only lucky thing about it was that the goal came so late - it would have been a travesty if we'd lost that night.

In the interests of balance, don't forget we finished third because we were very lucky. Indeed, if we hadn't sneaked a lucky win against Dundee United in the weeks leading up to the split, we might have finished in the bottom half of the league. And the player whose drive secured that final push was already on his way out of the club.

That's not to disagree with your sentiments though: we are going through a bad spell. There are few Saints managers I'd like to succeed more than Tommy Wright - not sure if that's healthy!

I'm not sure I'd agree that it was luck. We got those late goals, such as the one against Dundee Utd, because there was a never-say-die spirit among the players that saw them scrapping and fighting for the results until the 90 minutes were up. I would agree, though, that losing Liam Craig has been a massive, massive blow, as I think a lot of the spirit shown by the team last season was due to his influence.

Funny that I thought we won against United - must have been how it felt at the time.

Also should have mentioned the need for perspective at least in terms of results. This season has seen one of the best European results in our history, a league cup semi-final appearance, top six in the league (at time of writing), Scottish Cup quarter final (ditto). I think it certainly stands against the record of any Scottish club this season bar Celtic and Aberdeen. What are we expecting on crowds that number less than anyone else's?

But what is troubling is the inconsistency of results, the consistency of selection (or more succinctly, why is McDonald picked?) and our defensive frailties. I think our signings have been mixed. A lot of young players who will hopefully benefit the club in years to come. But Iwelumo rather than Jahic? *Sigh*

Edited by truefaith

I cannot believe what is happening to our beloved team, C'mon Tommy get a grip and sort it.

Last time I looked we were in the Premier League. Not only in the Premier League but in the top six ONCE AGAIN. Last time I looked we were in the QF of the Scottish Cup with a winnable tie. Last time I looked we reached the Scottish League Cup Semi Final. Yeh Tommy get a grip you idiot ! Bring back Jackie Stewart or Jim Storrie. What a f*cking tool :evil:   

I said a few weeks ago that if you cannae score and yee cannae defend you will win fuck all. Well the very same applies today. Some of the main players had poor games today, most of the players seemed to lack belief and energy and I am sadly begining to have doubts about the ability of our manager both in terms of team selection and tactically. ICT were not very good but were savvy enough to head back up the A9 with all three points. That makes me feel even worse..

Ghostie, and with all due respect and being serious.....I'm disappointed in your comments. TW will make mistakes but needs all the support we can muster. One loss and a possibility we might just slip out of sixth position and its .......woh is me !!!!

I agree with a lot of what bluehaven says, despite the cliched "at least we aren't in division 3, and look we beat lower league teams in cups" pish that is always trotted out in response to it.

I like TW a lot and also want him to succeed, but the signing people to sit on the bench bit is very curious. With Jahic you felt he didn't play Jahic because he was leaving shortly, and unless either McDonald or Millar drop out against Motherwell it looks like Dunne is the same.

I agree with a lot of what bluehaven says, despite the cliched "at least we aren't in division 3, and look we beat lower league teams in cups" pish that is always trotted out in response to it.

I like TW a lot and also want him to succeed, but the signing people to sit on the bench bit is very curious. With Jahic you felt he didn't play Jahic because he was leaving shortly, and unless either McDonald or Millar drop out against Motherwell it looks like Dunne is the same.

I agree that TW shouldnt be beyond criticism but have we not seen enough since he arrived to show his potential. And we have no god given right to be in the top six. Reminding people of our yo-yo hsitory focuses the mind.   

I've seen Mark Davies being mentioned a few times. He was never signed as anything more than a youth option.

I don't have any problem with this per se, but I do wonder why we are having to sign players on loan simply to be a "youth option". We have quite a lot of young players already on the books with Brown, Easton, etc - aren't any of them good to enough to fill that gap? And I'm confused as to what benefit there is to the player himself, if he's not coming here for a bit of first team experience. Unless, of course, he's essentially here on trial with a view to making it a permanent move in the summer - but I haven't heard anything said to suggest that might be the case.

I agree that TW shouldnt be beyond criticism but have we not seen enough since he arrived to show his potential. And we have no god given right to be in the top six. Reminding people of our yo-yo hsitory focuses the mind.   

Of course we don't have the right to be top-six. We do have the potential to be top six though. TW has assembled us what I consider to be a pretty decent squad, I'd just like to see him use it better.

An Exeter City supporting mate (they must have some)tells me that Dunne was superb for them in the 2 or 3 seasons he was there. The fact that he was Player of the year at Stevenage last season means that he can play a bit. Play him from the

start Tommy, you have nothing to lose by giving him a start and a free rein/reign, alongside Wortherspoon/O'Halleron and Croft

Before anyone says that his appearances have been at a much lower level than the Premiership needs to take the blinkers

off because some of the stuff seen on Sportscene can be pretty dire at times.

Of course past achievements is far from the be-all and end-all, but in response to the "you haven't seen James Dunne" playing argument, we are picking someone who was seen as average in League 2 ahead of someone who won club's player of the year in League 1.

We need the chance to see him playing

An Exeter City supporting mate (they must have some)tells me that Dunne was superb for them in the 2 or 3 seasons he was there. The fact that he was Player of the year at Stevenage last season means that he can play a bit. Play him from the

start Tommy, you have nothing to lose by giving him a start and a free rein/reign, alongside Wortherspoon/O'Halleron and Croft

Before anyone says that his appearances have been at a much lower level than the Premiership needs to take the blinkers

off because some of the stuff seen on Sportscene can be pretty dire at times.

Could not agree more. For me Wotherspoon behind May with O'Halleron and Croft wide. Let's go for a win