Lest We Forget- Stand At The Fire

SaintJet

We are all hyper looking forward to next week: it's been a long time. We are all hoping this is our time and it may be.

My first game game was back in 1969, the cup final with my dad 'God rest his soul'. During the in between years Saints have been the happiest and most depressing times in my life. Great victories, crushing defeats, relegation, cup semi finals, cup finals. This is the lot of a St.Johnstone fan.

I am asking all Saints to once again open that window into your soul and relive the most devastating defeats you have endured. Not the victories or happy days just the gut wrenching loses that have made you go home and kick the cat, kick the dog or like me just get sh*t faced and cry!

The list is long.  It might not be the semi final defeats, the two cup final defeats, relegation or the being pipped for promotion games that still haunt you; pick a game that has meaning and tell us so we can remain humble and remember our roots.

Remind ourselves why May 17 is so special- in anticipation.

Rangers 3-3 1981.  As a 14 year-old laddie that was absolutely devastating and the worst I've ever felt.  Honourable mentions to Hamilton 2008, Minsk 2013 and the Semi v Dabs 1991.

Just realised we didn't actually lose the first 2 mentioned, but you ken what I mean.

The 1991 semi final defeat to the DABS is still raw for for me: played at East End, park the pitch was a mare, the ball was in the air for 80 of the 90 minutes and although we played well Duncan fkin Ferguson did for us. I can still feel the long walk back to the car with the dirty Arabs giving it to us large. There is no reply to this humiliation, you shut your puss, trudge and find the inner strength to close your ears. You dissolve to a wreck when you find the sanctity of your home and find solace in the Jack D.

I am a Saint.

Rangers 3-3 1981.  As a 14 year-old laddie that was absolutely devastating and the worst I've ever felt.  Honourable mentions to Hamilton 2008, Minsk 2013 and the Semi v Dabs 1991.

Just realised we didn't actually lose the first 2 mentioned, but you ken what I mean.

Peace be with you brother- you are a Saint.

If your are a Saintee through & through you wear disappointment like a badge of courage!

It is those moments of despair that allow you to enjoy the dizzy heights of cup finals.

At the end of the day good bad or totally disgusting we get behind our team..hopeful in the belief one of these days it will be 'OUR DAY'

On the 17th I will be there & have made up my mind to enjoy the day!

Good isn't rewarded with good and bad isn't punished with bad or else Saints would have won something long before now!?

So Saintees everywhere get behind our wonderful 'wee team' no matter the result I am proud as anyone could be!?⚽⚽⚽

It's the '81 Scottish Cup game against Rangers for me, the family lived in Perth and I was 9, my Dad took me even thought he's an Aberdeen fan. I had been flirting with supporting Aberdeen (for obvious reasons) and Rangers (my best mate at the time supported them) as youngsters do. This wasn't my first game and I don't remember much about the match, except for how I felt when Rangers scored the equaliser to make it 3-3. Like a kick in my young undropped hairless balls. From that moment I was a Saints fan, can't explain why. It's the lows that make the highs even more worth it.

Edited by wazeroonie

If your are a Saintee through & through you wear disappointment like a badge of courage!

It is those moments of despair that allow you to enjoy the dizzy heights of cup finals.

At the end of the day good bad or totally disgusting we get behind our team..hopeful in the belief one of these days it will be 'OUR DAY'

On the 17th I will be there & have made up my mind to enjoy the day!

Good isn't rewarded with good and bad isn't punished with bad or else Saints would have won something long before now!?

So Saintees everywhere get behind our wonderful 'wee team' no matter the result I am proud as anyone could be!?⚽⚽⚽

This is all good but are you drunk? Read the thread title.

It's the '81 Scottish Cup game against Rangers for me, the family lived in Perth and I was 9, my Dad took me even thought he's an Aberdeen fan. I had been flirting with supporting Aberdeen (for obvious reasons) and Rangers (my best mate at the time supported them) as youngsters do. This wasn't my first game and I don't remember much about the match, except for how I felt when Rangers scored the equaliser to make it 3-3. Like a kick in my young undropped hairless balls. From that moment I was a Saints fan, can't explain why.

Waz- you are a Saint

Losing the cup semi on penalties with QOS waiting in the final!  Or working in the East Stand among the unwashed during the 7-0 - I could have cried.  Even 7-0 up they had to bait anyone who wasn't a fellow Orc.

Sunday night 6 pm. They had a frog playing his debut that night and were giving it the La Marseillaise. We were sheep and shut our pusses hoping down the line they would get theirs. They did.