Appreciation To All The Mums That Have Supported There Saints Supporting Children Over The Years

AthensSaint

Athens,

I honestly believe you are taking the whole 'Day Tripper' thing personally and very much in the wrong way.

Nobody I don't think is unhappy that we had a massive crowd follow us to Celtic Park,quite the opposite.

Some of the tales of our far flung fans travails getting back to Perth/Glasgow for our biggest ever game have been truly wonderful and heart warming. I was welling up reading some of the stories. Utterly amazing and I am in awe of all the Perth folk who spent thousands of whatever their local currency is and took massive time out of their lives to be there.

I'm also in awe of people like Gav Stewart and Roy McEwen who were visibly in tatters and have spent half a century following Saints everywhere for little reward in terms of 'Glory'.

That Cup Final was for everybody. Fans old and new, young and ancient. It was for Sons of Perth who moved away decades ago, for those hardy souls who stuck with the club through the bad times, for those who may have went to Celtic Park because somewhere in their soul is an affection for St. Johnstone, the best wee team in the world.

Exactly Letham, that's spot on. Everybody shared the moment, there's no ranked list or anything

I totally appreciate my Mum's support in following Saints. She has absolutely no interest in football and it was my Dad who first took me to games.

However, she never once moaned when I took cheeky wee days off school during season 98-99 when I was too tired after travelling back to Aberdeen at night. She never said no to me having a couple of days off to see the 3-3 Monaco gamee. Even after her and my Dad split up she was the one who paid for my season ticket and my travel back and forward to Perth every fortnight. For those things I will be eternally grateful to her for!

There's nothing like winning a cup to bring out sentimentality in folks eh?!

Both the semi & the final had me saying 'come on mum' looking for some divine intervention to help us 'over the line'

My mum sadly is no longer here but would have loved to see Saints win!

We were a family of Saintees, and although my mum wouldn't go to matches, I would drag her to games when I was a 'Billy Nae Mates'

I could be a bit underhand trying to get her to go to games. She wanted to go 'shopping' in Dundee and asked if I'd go. I Point blank refused, I hated shopping, but said I'd go if she came to the match..... I remembered Saints were playing at Tannadice!!

We were thrashed 7 nil I think. Tommy Coyne scored on his debut. The ref was rank...Nae change there!

There the pair of us were on the steep terracing with a dozen carrier bags looking like a pair of idiots, my mum shouting at the ref for being rubbish. Still makes me smile at the memory!

Wish she could have been there on Sat she would have loved it!?

I dont ever remember having to pay to get into muirton. My house was on carnegie and used to climb over the fence, or i would get a lift over. I travelled to many away games from the saints club on dunkeld road without anyone with me. I always lied to my parents and said i was going with my mates dad, and used to lie to the driver saying my dad was finishing his pint.. My mum or dad used to give me the bare essentials in regards to the bus fare and i would wing it from there.I remember the crap weather, soaking wet, sitting in the back of the bus and fellow saintees treble my age looking after me. I remember being sick too coming back from aberdeen and folk helping me out. As a youngster I used to just follow the crowd. I can remember being in kirkaldy following a group of rowdy lads and then they about turned and got chased from an even bigger crowd and i hid in a garden absolutely shitting it, I must hae only being about 11. I would hit the roof if my laddie who was only in primary school was found to be doing that. Any hoo times have changed, and there are more obstacles for young ones to overcome if they want to head off anywhere. Im glad my folks let me get on with it to an extent. Money was very very tight but collecting gowf baws down the north inch helped bump up whatever pennies i got from my parents.

Will always remember my first away game. Which I will come to later.

No TV coverage,  in fact you were lucky if you had a telly, which were in black and white. 

First tele game I ever saw,  was when my Dad took me to the Meal Vennel ( which has been swallowed up by the St.Johnstone centre) . 

On the box in 1954 was the World Cup.  The Great Hungarian team included  Ferenc  Puskas,  who played for Budapest Honved  and scored 352 goals in 341 appearances.

Which brought him to the attention of  Real Madrid , (where he was part of a mesmerising side that included Alfredo de Stefano)   and won the European Cup five times in a row.

I was hooked. 

Back to the start.  Dad and I went to see Saints play Dunfermline at East End Park, when games kicked off at 3pm.

We travelled on the train, as supporter's buses hadn't been invented then.

No covered enclosures in they days, we found ourselves behind the goal and it was a constant downpour. 

No cagoules,  North Face or the like on the go then.

Head covering ended up being a newspaper folded up like an Admiral's hat.

Seem to recall the Pars striker was Charlie Dickson, who I have discovered was signed in Jan. 1955.

That being the case,  I have come to the conclusion that I was probably about ten when I got the bug.

Next year will be my 60th year of being a Saints Fan.

I have vague recollections of seeing Paddy Buckley. I remember Doug Newlands among many others, Ian Rodger,  Charlie McFadyen, Bill Taylor, Ian Gardiner,  Joe Carr, and the Ormond era.

Missed the latter part of the 80's (84/90)  due to work in Hampshire. 

Has been a lifetime of highs and lows,  but 18th May has made the time and expense every bit worthwhile. 

Championees , championees.........................oh ay, oh ay, oh ay.

Beat me by a couple off years Hoodlum, Ian Rodgers thats one I had forgotten about.

I need to thank my mrs for drumming into my lad and I about following our local team. We took the plunge over 3 years ago as ST holders and it's been no bad up to now!

We have met great people inside and outside the club and both my son and I feel part of the Saints family.

Looking forward to our first Euro trip.

COYS

I need to thank my mrs for drumming into my lad and I about following our local team. We took the plunge over 3 years ago as ST holders and it's been no bad up to now!

We have met great people inside and outside the club and both my son and I feel part of the Saints family.

Looking forward to our first Euro trip.

COYS

WE ARE FAMILY

My mum embroidered a saints badge onto my blue top when I was ten so it looked like the real tops took here ages.  She encouraged me in all sporting interests I had and the amount of muddy kits of different sorts she cleaned was enormous.  She also took me to games both home and away when my dad had to work.  She taught me about positional play and how to get into good positions on the pitch.  (My dad taught me how to deal with flying wingers and cocky strikers.)

I have the honour of being in both situations. As a kid pestering my mum to let me go to games. My first away game was to Alloa for a cup match, early 90's I think. After I returned back home in one piece she decided it was safe enough for me to keep going. And now as a mum I'm doing all I can to see my boys to the games. It might mean I don't get to go but for another generation of fans supporting their home team, it's worth every penny