Yes Or Naw?

rik2304

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Tartan Army is made up of lots of people with different opinions. Some will be happy singing it. Others may feel awkward calling for Scotland to 'rise and be a nation again', when they've just chosen to reject that very option.

To many, the Scottish team is inextricably linked with their sense of national identity and international football is inevitably political. So it's understandable that some may have lost interest because the electorate decided that they preferred being British to having a separate political identity. Equally many will disagree, but I don't think it's pathetic.

Sound post Brogan.

To many, the Scottish team is inextricably linked with their sense of national identity and international football is inevitably political. So it's understandable that some may have lost interest because the electorate decided that they preferred being British to having a separate political identity. Equally many will disagree, but I don't think it's pathetic.

I agree. Personally I find it a little cringeworthy for a nation to continue to use a national anthem that talks about rising up and being a nation etc, when the majority of its people don't want that to happen.

Maybe just playing devil's advocate here, but Gibraltar was recently denied membership status by FIFA because it's not an independent territory. Is it fair that Scotland is even allowed to have its own football team when the people have democratically decided that they don't want Scotland to be its own nation?

I agree. Personally I find it a little cringeworthy for a nation to continue to use a national anthem that talks about rising up and being a nation etc, when the majority of its people don't want that to happen.

Maybe just playing devil's advocate here, but Gibraltar was recently denied membership status by FIFA because it's not an independent territory. Is it fair that Scotland is even allowed to have its own football team when the people have democratically decided that they don't want Scotland to be its own nation?

Gibraltar not classed as an "enclave"?

yawn

Funny how after the NO vote in the independence referendum we were told by several NO parties/people that we should not consider any further vote on independence...that should be the end of it and that the scottish people had made their intentions clear!... but somehow we keep being told that the UK will be voting...not for the first time...on whether we remain in the EU. It's okay to go back and visit this EU vote again, but somehow Scotland will not be allowed to vote for independence again even although 45 per cent voted YES!

We last got a vote on the EU in 1975, 40 years ago. We MIGHT get another independence vote in 25 or 30 years, which would be quicker than the last EU vote. The NO vote won by over half a million, Salmond has fallen on his sword. I will be in my 80s by the next Scottish referendum, IF the UK government ok it but thewy won the referendum so why should they. If the YES camp had won the NO voters wouldn't have got a second chance.

We last got a vote on the EU in 1975, 40 years ago. We MIGHT get another independence vote in 25 or 30 years, which would be quicker than the last EU vote. The NO vote won by over half a million, Salmond has fallen on his sword. I will be in my 80s by the next Scottish referendum, IF the UK government ok it but thewy won the referendum so why should they. If the YES camp had won the NO voters wouldn't have got a second chance.

the No parties could have formed a Dependance Party and fought the election 

We were'nt given the choice on whether we should join the EU....that choice was taken for us and we are now part of the EU, however we are to now be given the chance to quit/get out of the EU at some point in the near future....so I don't understand how we can write off the chance to ever be able to take another independence vote as it was a lot closer than the Westminster Government probably expected...hence their panic in the final week. I don't think you can just write off 45 per cent of the people who voted YES, just as you cannot ignore the 55 per cent who voted NO...this leaves a very strong case for negotiations on both sides...certainly not a case for one side to dominate over the other!

We were'nt given the choice on whether we should join the EU....that choice was taken for us and we are now part of the EU, however we are to now be given the chance to quit/get out of the EU at some point in the near future....so I don't understand how we can write off the chance to ever be able to take another independence vote as it was a lot closer than the Westminster Government probably expected...hence their panic in the final week. I don't think you can just write off 45 per cent of the people who voted YES, just as you cannot ignore the 55 per cent who voted NO...this leaves a very strong case for negotiations on both sides...certainly not a case for one side to dominate over the other!

The whole point of referenda is the one who gets the most votes wins, its not the best out of three or whatever. As for the EU we will ONLY get a vote if the Tories win a clear majority, the other parties, including the SNP, have NO intentions of giving the British people a democratic say. As for the independence referendum only 36 of eligible voters voted for independence.

The whole point of referenda is the one who gets the most votes wins, its not the best out of three or whatever. As for the EU we will ONLY get a vote if the Tories win a clear majority, the other parties, including the SNP, have NO intentions of giving the British people a democratic say. As for the independence referendum only 36 of eligible voters voted for independence.

what percentage voted NO?

So what? By the same token only 45% voted to stay in the union. It's an utter irrelevance of a figure. 

The winners won, the losers lost. Life goes on, I have a feeling the Tories won't get a majority next year and their will be no EU referendum.

BT said Scotland would have to stay in the EU do we get an opt out?

Why would it, an allegedly rich country wouldn't need to cling on to an undemocratic unaccountable entity which has almost six times the population of Scotland out of work, oh yes, and repeatedly ignores NO votes and makes them vote again. Scotland needs the EU like a hole in the head.

The winners won, the losers lost. Life goes on, I have a feeling the Tories won't get a majority next year and their will be no EU referendum.

Nobody's arguing No won the referendum.

What I don't understand is your need to make (1) a demonstrably untrue claim about voting figures and (2) a disingenuous comparison, to make that victory sound greater than it actually was. Why do that?

Edited by Brogan