Greatest Saints Games

blueheaven

As there's not much else happening at the moment, and there's a new Saints book on the way about the club's greatest ever games, was just wondering what people's favourite Saints games have been?

Guessing for most of us it would be the 2014 Scottish Cup Final (I know that's mine) and of course there are the two cup finals from our Double season. A few others that spring to mind for me are:

• Beating Luzern on penalties at home (best atmosphere I've experienced at McDiarmid)
  • Knocking out Rosenborg at home
  • Monaco away
  • 7-2 v Dundee, New Year's Day 1997
  • 3-0 v Hearts at Easter Road in the 98/99 League Cup semi-final
  • 4-0 v Hibs in the 98/99 League Cup quarter-final (Sandy Clark's first game in charge)
  • 2-0 v Rangers in 97/98 (O'Boyle and O'Neil on the scoresheet)
  • 5-0 v Aberdeen
  • I'm guessing 3-1 v Airdrie will also be high up in the book (I was at that one but have to admit I don't really have any memories of it).

That's as far back as my memories go - what were the best games at Muirton?

St. Johnstone 3 Rangers 3

February 14th 1981

This was when we were a mid table first division (now championship) team, and had no right to be going up against this mob.

The fact we came back from being 2-0 down, when everybody, including me, thought that was it, made it extra special.

I was in the centre stand, just behind Archie MacPherson on his raised commentator's seat, and next to the Rangers directors.

The noise when Brogan got the third was unbelievable.

The Rangers directors heads were all down, including John Grieg.

Willie Ormond was there that day as well.

I was at school and shockingly was one of only a few Saints fans.

At that time, they were all Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United etc.

My Rangers mates predictably thought the ref was against them.

Nothing changes.

It would have been so good to get one over them, at a time when we didn't have much to shout about.

Oh so close.

Trust a Saints fan to mess it up at the end.

This just tops the Airdrie game for games I've actually been to.

Yes, I was there in 2014 but that's an obvious one.

Anyway, here it is.

If you were there, take half an hour to relive it, and if you weren't, it's worth the time to watch.

Enjoy.

I remember a 2-1 victory over Celtic at Muirton in 197?.  We had some Celtic fans directly behind us in the main stand which was a bit offputting at first.  However they were football fans first and foremost and were interested in the Saints team (it was just after we signed Jimmy O'Rourke).  After the game finished they appreciated the performance and that it just wasn't Celtic's day. 

12 hours ago, blueheaven said:

As there's not much else happening at the moment, and there's a new Saints book on the way about the club's greatest ever games, was just wondering what people's favourite Saints games have been?

Guessing for most of us it would be the 2014 Scottish Cup Final (I know that's mine) and of course there are the two cup finals from our Double season. A few others that spring to mind for me are:

• Beating Luzern on penalties at home (best atmosphere I've experienced at McDiarmid)
  • Knocking out Rosenborg at home
  • Monaco away
  • 7-2 v Dundee, New Year's Day 1997
  • 3-0 v Hearts at Easter Road in the 98/99 League Cup semi-final
  • 4-0 v Hibs in the 98/99 League Cup quarter-final (Sandy Clark's first game in charge)
  • 2-0 v Rangers in 97/98 (O'Boyle and O'Neil on the scoresheet)
  • 5-0 v Aberdeen
  • I'm guessing 3-1 v Airdrie will also be high up in the book (I was at that one but have to admit I don't really have any memories of it).

That's as far back as my memories go - what were the best games at Muirton?

Our performance in the final was one of the best performances from a Saints team that I have seen. We were superb in possession and in attack. Overall it was a really good game. Only need to look at the line up from United that day to see the quality we were up against and what some of their team have went on to do in their careers.

The semi final is also one of my most memorable games. The manner in which we came back and the fact it was against Aberdeen after the way in which the beat us earlier in the season in the League Cup Semi made it all the more sweeter.

Rosenberg away was special as well. Given what they had achieved in European football, it was a momentous result and one the gave us the belief to go on and have the special season that we did. The home games against them and Luzern were also great occasions.

We didn’t win, but in terms of memories, away to Eskishirspor is hard to beat. Was apprehensive in the lead up to it due to the reputation of away team playing in Turkey, but was absolutely blown away by the welcome we received. Amazing scenes in the lead up to the game and the atmosphere was brilliant in the stadium.

3-1 against Rangers at McDiarmid is also memorable. Amazing achievement given they had a team full of internationalists.

IMG_5745.jpeg

Edited by Aitchy

Many moons ago we left crieff plenty time to get to Ayr (first division) car broke down in dunblane. pal drove up from Glasgow road work on m8 arrived in Ayr 10mins left of game got in free as gates where open for everyone was leaving . can't remember who scored but don mcivar  missed a penalty last kick of the game finished 2-2 brilliant day out

As always

COYS

6 hours ago, Cksaint said:

Many moons ago we left crieff plenty time to get to Ayr (first division) car broke down in dunblane. pal drove up from Glasgow road work on m8 arrived in Ayr 10mins left of game got in free as gates where open for everyone was leaving . can't remember who scored but don mcivar  missed a penalty last kick of the game finished 2-2 brilliant day out

As always

COYS

I mind that game .

we were 2-0 down

On 10/17/2023 at 8:48 AM, Cksaint said:

As always

COYS

Had a similar thing when I went to watch Saints playing Hamilton away once. Got to the ground at Hamilton and no one was there. My uncle went in a shop to find a paper which let him know the game was actually at Firhill.

Got to Firhill after kick off and missed three goals from the walk from the car to getting into the ground, could hear everyone cheering 😂

On 10/15/2023 at 8:25 PM, garydavidson said:

I still rate the win against Dunfermline to put us top of the first division as a great game. Huge Saints support getting to watch that Liam Craig rocket hit the back of the net.

That was the greatest goal I ever ALMOST saw. I was sitting behind the goal with a perfect view until the three big lumps in front of me jumped up simultaneously.  Serves me right for not jumping quicker I suppose but it still rankles.

After my comments about the Ayr game away reminiscing about all the good old days in the first division when we first moved to mcdermid full houses every second week. spoilt with the team we had then  every Saturday home and away not really caring as long as we had a good day out then pub crawl and dancing (Scorpio's crieff) 

5 hours ago, Oldmuirton said:

That was the greatest goal I ever ALMOST saw. I was sitting behind the goal with a perfect view until the three big lumps in front of me jumped up simultaneously.  Serves me right for not jumping quicker I suppose but it still rankles.

For me it was Biscuits goal v Hearts in the cup semi final. I was tasked with getting the half time refreshments and was asking my Grandad what he wanted just as he jumped to the sky celebrating and I missed it completely.