St Mirren vs St Johnstone - 28.10.23

Aitchy

A four point gap has now opened up between us at the bottom and Dundee and Ross County in 10th and 11th, so we really need to start picking up wins.

The injury crisis seems to be clearing up a bit (although Drey being injured long term is a blow) and having Clark and Kane back in the squad is a big boost.

Thoughts on the team? Philips, McClelland and Wright seem to be the only ones confirmed as missing at the moment.

Mitov

Dare McGowan Gordon Considine Carey

Sprangler Smith

Max

Jephcott Kane

17 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

🤭

Also Jephcott ahead of Costelloe, May or Clark is wild!

Not necessarily the team I would pick, but what I think we may see.

Would be surprised if Clark started. Preference would be for May and Kane to start. Carey been played as the left wing back the last couple of games, so can’t see that changing. Dare raw, but has shown glimpses and provides a physical presence which we are lacking at the moment. Back three in that team not exactly the quickest, but good experience and still not convinced by Robinson.

What would your team be?

I think the team pretty much picks itself with the exception of who plays right wing-back and who plays up front. I'm guessing Dare will get the nod for RWB although I guess it could be Brown. Assume Jaiyesimi won't be getting a start at this stage but he could be an option there too?

Not sure what Clark's fitness situation is but if he's ready to play I'd love to see him and  May start together. If not, then perhaps Costelloe and Kane? I struggle to see Jephcott starting this one with the options we have right now.

I think I'd probably go:

____________________Mitov

_________Gordon Considine Robinson

Olufunwa ____Sprangler Smith _____Carey

________________Kucheriavyi

_________________May Clark

6 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I almost expect him to be in there after the reports of him going to be starting last weekend.

I just worry about throwing Kane and Clark straight back into things after significant injuries. They are both vital for us, so would rather see us build them up gradually but also appreciate we are in a position whereby we need our best players in the team. 

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

We really need to be winning this game. We have had plenty time to rest up and get our formations sorted.

We have no excuses for "slow starts" or any other BS.

Go out, play hard and show the rest of the league we are back.

Yep, that’s where I am at. Macca has talked a very good game and has been able to use excuses such as having a new team and injuries, but that can’t go on for ever. Really need at least 7 points from our next 4 games against St Mirren, Killie, Motherwell and Ross County. 

21 hours ago, Aitchy said:

Not necessarily the team I would pick, but what I think we may see.

Would be surprised if Clark started. Preference would be for May and Kane to start. Carey been played as the left wing back the last couple of games, so can’t see that changing. Dare raw, but has shown glimpses and provides a physical presence which we are lacking at the moment. Back three in that team not exactly the quickest, but good experience and still not convinced by Robinson.

What would your team be?

Robinson would be one of the first names on my team sheet that’s for sure.

Mitov, Robinson, Sprangler are must starts and on form(Aberdeen) I’d be close to including Kucheriavyi in that but I’ll stick with Mitov Robinson and Sprangler as key players.

McGowan would be nowhere near my 11 and would be even further from my back three central trio - rank!

Even though none of this will actually happen, this is how I'd like us to set up. 

If we're going for three at the back, I'd like Dare to get a chance at RCB. It's his natural position and now that McClelland is out, I believe he'd be a good replacement. 

He's young, strong and has some pace. I'd be up for him getting a run in that position. 

I must admit, I like Robinson. Yes, still a bit raw round the edges, which is understandable considering his age, but I think he's the best option we have at LB/LWB. 

I'm not counting Gallacher into the equation as he seems to have disappeared off the planet. 

I'd have him over Carey to start this game. St. Mirren are annoyingly good at the present and we might have to "fest" our way to a win here. 

That's fine by me, but Carey's flicks and tricks could end up putting us into bother. So, for me, Luke starts. Carey can come on later if we're chasing the game. 

Brown at RWB. He's not the best, but he's fairly solid defensively and I think that's what we'll need in this game. He can ping a cross in when needed as well. 

It's too much for DJ to make his first start in this game. Unfair on the lad if he makes a mistake and the crowd get on his back. Like Carey, can come off the bench if we need him. 

Since Dan won't be fit, the midfield picks itself. 

Up front is interesting. Is Clark fit enough to start? If so, I'd like to see him and May rekindle their partnership. 

Kane would be a definite starter if he's up to it. We need somebody to hustle their defence. 

That's what we've been missing in recent times, the ability to get right on the nerves of the opposition. Noise them up. We were always good at that. 

If it's Kane, then Costelloe up front with him for me. 

Jephcott can get the pies at half time. He needs to step up now when he gets the opportunity. 

So... 

Mitov 

Olufunwa Gordon Considine 

Brown   Smith   Sprangler  Robinson 

Max 

Costelloe Kane 

If we can keep hanging on the coattails of the other teams until the turn of the year, then I think we’ll be fine. 

We can’t afford to get detached though. 

Interesting to see Macca include this in his latest Courier comments:

“Ali (Crawford) is still injured but Boogie (Callum Booth) is back training and available for selection."

As far as I can tell neither of these guys have been mentioned for ages. Wonder if this means he's considering Booth as an option for selection again. Personally I'd be happy to see a fit Callum Booth back in the squad.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Interesting to see Macca include this in his latest Courier comments:

“Ali (Crawford) is still injured but Boogie (Callum Booth) is back training and available for selection."

As far as I can tell neither of these guys have been mentioned for ages. Wonder if this means he's considering Booth as an option for selection again. Personally I'd be happy to see a fit Callum Booth back in the squad.

Booth has been a reliable a servant for us and we are definitely a better side when he's playing every week. I like his attitude too.

I fear he is just another bad knock away from another lay off though.

32 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Booth has been a reliable a servant for us and we are definitely a better side when he's playing every week. I like his attitude too.

I fear he is just another bad knock away from another lay off though.

What about Booth's last 3 seasons allows you to even begin to use the word reliable in a sentence describing him? I can't be bothered doing the numbers, but I'd be amazed if he's even been available for 30% of the games we've played in that time, let alone played. 

8 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

I think it’d be suicide - and very Callum Davidson - to have Brown and Robinson as the wing backs. I don’t think Robinson is good enough going forward, and I know that Brown isn’t. 

Disagree on all points.

When Robinson was in a depleted Wigan side, he played left in a back four in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

The way Leam Richardson (the manager) played that formation was to have the full backs bombing up the wings.

He played around 25 games in league one doing exactly that, and successfully I should add, so he has both the experience and skill to play that part.

He's more than good enough.

As I mentioned, Brown isn't the best, but I wouldn't say that he didn't have it in him to play there.

I also wouldn't say it was very Calum Davidson to play him, or Robinson, as wing backs.

What would be Davidson would be to tell them to stay back, defend and be cautious.

I'm suggesting that they storm forward when possible, but they also have the bonus of being defensively sound when needed at the back.

Carey doesn't track back enough or have the defensive qualities to do both jobs effectively.

And although we don't know because we haven't seen him, from what we've heard, that isn't DJs game either.

Anyway, as I said at the start of my previous post, none of this will actually happen.

It's just my alternative viewpoint.

32 minutes ago, Gekko said:

Disagree on all points.

When Robinson was in a depleted Wigan side, he played left in a back four in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

The way Leam Richardson (the manager) played that formation was to have the full backs bombing up the wings.

He played around 25 games in league one doing exactly that, and successfully I should add, so he has both the experience and skill to play that part.

He's more than good enough.

As I mentioned, Brown isn't the best, but I wouldn't say that he didn't have it in him to play there.

I also wouldn't say it was very Calum Davidson to play him, or Robinson, as wing backs.

What would be Davidson would be to tell them to stay back, defend and be cautious.

I'm suggesting that they storm forward when possible, but they also have the bonus of being defensively sound when needed at the back.

Carey doesn't track back enough or have the defensive qualities to do both jobs effectively.

And although we don't know because we haven't seen him, from what we've heard, that isn't DJs game either.

Anyway, as I said at the start of my previous post, none of this will actually happen.

It's just my alternative viewpoint.

Maybe a bit unfair to say Robinson isn’t good enough going forward for that role when we haven’t really seen him play at wing back, though it’s a different role than playing as an attacking full back with somebody ahead of you.

We’ll agree to disagree on Brown. Doesn’t give enough going forward and often means that every attack has to go down the left hand side, making us easy to defend against. Maybe it’d be a different story with an actual functioning midfield alongside him, but I’m not sure. 

Won’t know unless we try it, and if we do, hopefully I’m shown to be talking utter shite. 

2 hours ago, Widge said:

What about Booth's last 3 seasons allows you to even begin to use the word reliable in a sentence describing him? I can't be bothered doing the numbers, but I'd be amazed if he's even been available for 30% of the games we've played in that time, let alone played. 

Apologies to those not able to deduce the substance of my post.

Booth has been a very reliable player for us when he's not been injured and was a pivitol part of a very good side.

His injuries over the last couple of seasons have have blighted his career.

If he was to return to full fitness and get decent amount of playing time under his belt, I'm sure he'd be reliable once more.

It's been well documented about our lack of goals but surely we should be expecting the defenders and midfielders to score a few a season . Our defenders can't even ein the ball in their own goal area never mind score at the other end. I think the only midfielder to attempt to score was Phillips with a couple ending in row z.

We should be expecting Carey to score a few cutting in from the wing but he seems content to put crossed into no one in the box. Wright has done nothing this season and is now out or a while.

Max scored a couple whilst playing wide right but think he will stay in midfield position.

We have to find the net even if it's an OG but we don't take many shots so probably won't get a lucky deflection.

15 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Been a while since I've been through to Paisley - anyone know how bad the street parking is round the ground these days?

One of the better grounds for parking, I’d say. Always tend to go for Ferguslie Park Avenue. 

Edited by PSJ.84