Should Saints host Dundee v Rangers?

blueheaven

BBC and Daily Mail are both reporting that Dundee have spoken to Saints, Hibs and St Mirren about potentially hosting their postponed match against Rangers.

Logistically it could be a bit of a nightmare but surely this is a no-brainer for Saints if they can make it work and make a profit out of it? 

I know people will argue the pitch can't take it but it's just one extra game when the season's nearly finished anyway, and it's not as if Saints' desperately need a bowling green surface for our style of football. I say if there's any possibility of this being financially worthwhile then the club should milk this opportunity for all it's worth.

• blueheaven changed the title to Should Saints host Dundee v Rangers?

Absolutely! One more game isn't going to make much difference to the already awful pitch.

It'd make sense for Dundee being relatively close to them, and it's less of a journey for Rangers.

We lost money last year, so this year, let's make as much as we can in any way we can.

Could be a nice unexpected financial bonus.

I wonder if we'd be getting a flat payment for the use of the ground or maybe some kind of percentage deal?

Should be a big crowd so the latter might be preferable.

Also, would we get to keep the profits from the catering etc? With the amount of people attending, that alone could be worth a few quid.

The big question is though, do we give Rangers three stands?

Seriously, who goes where?

4 minutes ago, Gekko said:

Absolutely! One more game isn't going to make much difference to the already awful pitch.

It'd make sense for Dundee being relatively close to them, and it's less of a journey for Rangers.

We lost money last year, so this year, let's make as much as we can in any way we can.

Could be a nice unexpected financial bonus.

I wonder if we'd be getting a flat payment for the use of the ground or maybe some kind of percentage deal?

Should be a big crowd so the latter might be preferable.

Also, would we get to keep the profits from the catering etc? With the amount of people attending, that alone could be worth a few quid.

The big question is though, do we give Rangers three stands?

I'd hope it would be Dundee in the usual home stands (East and majority of main) with Rangers fans in their usual pens. No point spreading their damage to more parts of the stadium.

Definitely take the game if it works for everyone.

I'd imagine the Dees would be happy going the short distance up the road and take their usual stands for the away team. Huge profits too to be had from the catering and we should probably up the prices too!

For this to work there would need to be a decision soon.

Forecast looks dodgy early part of the week so Dundee really can't afford to be caught out again.

1 hour ago, Gekko said:

I guess that would be up to Dundee to decide, but ticketing in general would probably be a bit of an arse for them to sort out as everyone who's bought a ticket would need to be assigned a new seat.

Another thing to bear in mind with this game is that there really is a wee advantage to Dundee in the race for top six. Chances are they will be playing this game in the knowledge that if they win they would go in to the top half so plenty incentive for them.

13 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

That's the issue potentially. Seats kicked in and stadium potentially covered in sectarian stickers.  

It's a no.

This happens when Rangers come to the ground anyway, so what's the difference? It's an  extra game with Rangers fans at the stadium, which we could easily have had to put up with anyway if we'd drawn against them in the cup or finished in the top six.

I'd have thought it would be included in any agreement that Dundee have to cover the costs of any damage done to the ground by fans, so would it really matter? The key thing is Saints would be making money out of this.

Don't think it will be required as forecast looks no bad til Wednesday.

We have had the bonus this season with big crowds for Dundee and Killie as they are doing fine at the moment.

Always good to see the wee teams get support.

27 minutes ago, Cagey said:

McDiarmid , plan B.

I'm assuming it's not going to be behind closed doors, though most of the articles have read about it have been a bit vague. Fascinated to know how they're going to sort out tickets for it, unless they just allocate everyone a stand and let people sit where they want?

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I'm assuming it's not going to be behind closed doors, though most of the articles have read about it have been a bit vague. Fascinated to know how they're going to sort out tickets for it, unless they just allocate everyone a stand and let people sit where they want?

It would be hosted as a Dundee home game and Saints have said they have made contingency for the ticketing of both teams.