Next season 1st Div

dublinsaints

If I was a 'glass half empty' fan then the thought of a highly competative 1st Division next seaon would be bad news.

However lets be positive about the league and I believe we have ahead of us the best line up this century of teams in the 1st division with Dunfermline, Morton and Stirling Albion in.

This will make a competative league with good games, good crowds and we hope a Saints result as champs.

What are your views on the 1st Div league line up for next season?

like other people have been saying, they think saints will walk the league next season - i dont!

its going to be another very very taugh season ahead of us!

with the scum offering there players alot of money if they go up am sure they will be up there fighting! then dunfermilne will want to go straight back up! and then we have morton - who i have heard to be good! livi - still think there an spl team, so they will cause us problems! and then we have the small shite teams like clyde and hamilton that are always there biting away at your baws!

i think we will do it but it wont be easy! keep the faith

if 2nd was a promotion place i would settle for 2nd by looking at the teams, this will be the toughest first division in years, theres 5 teams who i wouldn't bet against winning it, Saints, Dunfermline, Morton, Dundee and Livi, and alos with an improved hamilton and a decent stirling side, it makes it much harder to get points elsewhere.

let the season begin........

If im going to be fully honest, i put Dundee as favourites, as much as it pains to say it! but otherwise, we've kept most of our squad, bar mensing sheerin and scotland, but i full expect sheerin to agree a new 2 year deal, mensing in the balance, and if scotland stays i'll pose nude for the official site.

If we get off to a good start, we're in the running, but a good start is crucial, because if we start playing cat and mouse by november then its going to end in heartbreak again

There is a long way to go until squads are sorted out but there is no reason for the negativity in this thread. We finished twelve points clear of the next team so are in a very strong position to build on that and don't have a Gretna side with resources that dwarf ours to contend with.

Coyle has done enough to deserve some faith being shown in him. I fully expect what happened at NDP to galvanise us, especially with guys like OC, Kevin James and Derek McInnes in the dressing room.

I think its gonna be a great, competetive season!!!! probably more interesting than the spl. Think our main challangers will be Dundee and Livi. Very few teams go straight back up (think hibs were the last to do that and their a much bigger club than the pars). Think morton will finish high up in the league but i dont think they will pose a major threat in their first season up.

Morton have the fan base and tradition (if that counts for anything we would be in SPL) to attract decent players and maintain a sustained campaign, so I would be wary of them taking precious points. Dunfermline seem to be much better organised since Kenny arrived, so it depends on the squad that they retain. Dundee will focus on one big push over the top, if they dont make it this year it could set them back for a few seasons.

It is up to us to turn wasteful draws in to points by banging in the goals the rest of our play seems to suggest we should be. Scotland is a big game player and tho I would love to see him stay it is in the scrappy afairs in front of two men and their dog that we need someone who can get these vital strikes (ala nish, Mcmenamin etal)

Just curious, but why are people rating Dundee's chances? In what way have they improved to suddenly become a stronger outfit than us?

As it is, I think it'll be a competitive league, but that's not the same as it being a good one. Livingston are in a downward spiral and will come nowhere near winning it. Dundee have been rubbish for years and I haven't heard about them making any changes to suggest the coming season will be any different. Clyde and Hamilton I expect to be their usual selves - fairly strong, but not strong/consistent enough to put in a season-long challenge, and ending up finishing 3rd/4th. Dunfermline possibly have the best team on paper, but teams virtually always struggle in their 1st season down, and I reckon they'll take time to get into their stride. Stirling might be decent but they won't be title challengers. Morton - folk have been crowing for years about how strong they are, yet it's taken them ages to even make it out of the 2nd Division, and they very nearly blew it again last season.They seem to get decent crowds but what do they have on the pitch? And I reckon Partick and QoS will be the strugglers.

So I don't think there will be a lot between most of the teams - there never is - but there's definitely an opportunity there for one team to pull ahead of the rest, as Gretna and St Mirren have done in the last two seasons.

My prediction at this stage (and I realise there's a long way to go) of how the league might look would be:

1. Saints

2. Dunfermline

3. Hamilton

4. Dundee

5. Clyde

6. Morton

7. Stirling

8. Livingston

9. Partick

10. QoS

My prediction at this stage (and I realise there's a long way to go) of how the league might look would be:

1. Saints

2. Dunfermline

3. Hamilton

4. Dundee

5. Clyde

6. Morton

7. Stirling

8. Livingston

9. Partick

10. QoS

Predictions like that will bite you on yer bum:wink:

I would have dundee above the pars, and morton 4th.

Tho saying that i have never won a penny at the bookies so pay no attention to my prediction.

There is a long way to go until squads are sorted out but there is no reason for the negativity in this thread.

Totally agree Radford, are we forgetting that we were 12 points ahead of third place and 1 point away from the championship? I do think that the league will be tough next year with a lot of the teams being on an equal footing. Not going to get too worried about Dundee, as BH says that are just not that good. Dunfermline certainly are the team that i worry about. Although like so many other teams in the past it may take them a while to get used to first divison football. They will obvioulsy have squad changes, probably a lot of good Irish players coming over, but as we have seen a team needs to gel.

That is where we are in pole position, the team has gelled, we may never be the greatest team in the world, but we are the best 'team' in this league. Dunfy may be the best side of paper, but as they say, footballs not played on paper.

A few decent signings from OC to cover those that have gone and will go, get a good start to the season and we'll do ok. Looking forward to it, there will be tears, there will be anger, heck there even may be heartache but we will prevail. Bring it on....

next seasons first division is going to be a cracker. there is four (five if you listen to the accies fans on pandb) teams who i think can challenge for the title.

us- our team has gelled together well and we have an experianced side which is good for this division. with a few more additions we will have a team that should be up there at the end of the season.

dundee- even with their bonuses i dont think they will be our biggest threat unless they heavily strengthen their side.

dunfermline- they have a good side but they have to get used to the first division and teams normally dont go straight back up. also they have europe to contend with which could take its toll if they get to the group stages.

morton- took years to get promoted here. when gretna where in that league they walked it. granted its a differant team but even with their huge fanbase i cant see them putting up a sustained title challenge.

i dont see anybody else challenging for the title. i think the league will be tight and the team that gets a run of results together could get a healthy lead. partick for automatic relegation and queens for the play off spot.

Have to say I think Stirling will do very well to avoid going straight back down.

I always think it's interesting to look at the form of teams in the second-half of the season. This is the table after the January transfer window closed...

1. Saints - P13 - W8 - D1 - L4 - F23 - A14 - 25 Pts

2. Queen of the South - P13 - W5 - D6 - L2 - F16 - A12 - 21 Pts

3. Dundee - P13 - W6 - D2 - L5 - F19 - A18 - 20 Pts

4. Hamilton - P13 - W5 - D3 - L5 - F19 - A19 - 18 Pts

5. Clyde - P13 - W4 - D5 - L4 - F16 - A8 - 17 Pts

6. Gretna - P12 - W4 - D5 - L3 - F11 - A11 - 17 Pts

7. Airdrie - P13 - W4 - D4 - L5 - F12 - A16 - 16 Pts

8. Livingston - P12 - W3 - D5 - L4 - F10 - A14 - 14 Pts

9. Partick Thistle - P13 - W3 - D4 - L6 - F8 - A16 - 13 Pts

10. Ross County - P13 - W2 - D5 - L6 - F19 - A21 - 10 Pts

Both Livi and Thistle (and maybe Clyde) will have new managers but Thistle seem totally strapped for cash so could be in trouble unless they improve.

Top 3 will be close

1.Saints

2.Dundee

3.Dunfy

The next 4 will be quite a few behind the top 3 but safe from the relegation dog fight

4.Clyde

5.Hamilton

6.Livvy

7.Morton

The dog fight

8.Queens

9.Stirling

10.Partick

why are dundee getting so much credit, they are not worth writing home about wow they are getting 20k per man to win the league, that consists of playing bonus's winning bonus's and league winning bonus's when you tot it up like that there would not be much differnece to what saints will be paying. On the field we should in the last game that we played against them that we had the beating of the easily and that was when they belived that they could still win the league, daft coagie gits

i really hope this isnt correct but here goes:

Dundee

Saints

Morton

Hamilton

Livi

Dunfermline

Partick

Stirling

Clyde

Qos

scotland and mensing are going to be very hard to replace, without mensings bite in midfield and the fact mcinnes is still in midfield makes me think our midfield will be worse than last seasons, and its where we needed that bit extra, and up front, scotland was a huge character and a player that the likes of peaso and savo had to try and match to get a starting place, plus he got the goals, i hope im wrong but i dont think sants will go up next season :(

A lot of people seem to be writing off Livi?? I can see them pushing for promotion next season.

Our record against them last season wasnt exactly flattering.

New manager and Mr Flynn promising more cash for players.

Make no mistake it will be tough next season but i fully expect us to win the league.

I think we can all agree that it's going to be a hard season, but i see no reason why we cant win the division comfortably if we contiinue the form we had from the end of last season, and all of the other teams in the division take points off each other. i think it would be best to forget about everyone else and just concentrate on having the saints ready for the next season.

Partick will struggle next season as nobody seems to want the job! I'm confident that OC will add quality players to our squad whether Jason and Simon stay or go and we'll be able to build on the performances from the last half of last season.

If we play with the same determination, hunger and confidence then there's no reason why we can't win the league. Not sure on what Dunfermline, Morton or Dundee will add to the title challenge but I am more confident going into next season than I was at the start of this one.

It looks like Sheerin will sign on again soon and it will be up to Simon if he wants to try his luck down South or continue his development and be part of a Saints team more determined to win next season to put our bad luck behind us