Saints vs. Hamilton Academical 16/02/08

MUZZ

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we win we'll be doing Dundee a favour.

I would hate the Coags to win the league, therefore as we are well out of it this if a meaningless game.

The worst result, in my mind, and I don't care if I'm slated for it is for us to win and give Dundee 3 points.

We should seriously take a back step and build for next season, give the youngsters a chance and drop the players who should be leaving at the end of the season.

Theres no longer any need to play guys who have had enough chances to prove themselves.

We should seriously take a back step and build for next season, give the youngsters a chance and drop the players who should be leaving at the end of the season.

Theres no longer any need to play guys who have had enough chances to prove themselves.

And then Accies and Dundee lose all their remaining games and Dunfermline come through to win the league and we are left kicking ourselves.

Realistically, I know we are out of it but it's far too early to sacrifice putting our best team out to try and get results in case the unthinkable does happen.

If we throw all the youngsters and fringe players in and end up 7th in the league, where does that leave us for next season?

We should be putting our best team out on the pitch to try and win the game.

Anyway though, we have a game on Tuesday before even thinking about Accies.

I've never quite understood this "let's try to build for next season" thing. Surely, whether we're aiming to win the league or aiming to build for next season, the end product should be pretty much the same - i.e. we're trying to win matches and play as well as possible. The two shouldn't be mutually exclusive - if we go on a winning run and do well between now and the end of the season, it will hopefully set us up nicely for the start of next season*, and if that means we actually end up catching up with Hamilton in the process, then I'll take that too!

*I'm well aware, of course, that that's what we thought was going to happen last time, and it didn't quite work.

It was over a long long time ago.

We'll probably end up doing Dundee a favour and beat Hamilton.

Well if you believe we'd be doing Dundee a favour towards winning the league then surely you must agree that the 6 point gap between ourselves and Dundee isn't impossible to turn around?

Hamilton will go up this year, they deserve it more than anyone else. I'd put money on us finishing 2nd above Dundee though.

If we keep up the recent run, not yesterdays blip hopefully then we should overtake Dundee for second place.

The problem is that Hamilton have started to win again after stuttering in January when we pulled back some points on them.

We're running out of games to catch them up, and realistically had to win every game this year until the end of the season to catch up with them, we haven't therefore that's about it for this season.

It would be good to finish above Dundee, for nothing other than to say we finished ahead of a rival team.

I agree that we may well finish above Dundee because they have been playing poorly as of late.

Big call on the midfielders. I presume that Rocco will start as will Craig. That leaves one from Moon, Cameron and Peanut. I'd lot to think that Del will go 442... but he doesn't seem to recognise the strengths of it. Theoretically, Moon may not make the squad, Peanut starting and Cameron as sub. If that scenaro happens, Del will have lost my support. The judgement that Del displays in player selection now concerns me gravely. As good a coach and public face as he is, team selection is the single most important factor in being a manager and he seems to be lacking in this department.

Big call on the midfielders. I presume that Rocco will start as will Craig. That leaves one from Moon, Cameron and Peanut. I'd lot to think that Del will go 442... but he doesn't seem to recognise the strengths of it. Theoretically, Moon may not make the squad, Peanut starting and Cameron as sub. If that scenaro happens, Del will have lost my support. The judgement that Del displays in player selection now concerns me gravely. As good a coach and public face as he is, team selection is the single most important factor in being a manager and he seems to be lacking in this department.

Just because Moon may not start? :roll:

Nope. He has made various bad decisions in terms of personnel selection since he took the reigns. Clyde away (dropping Sheerin for Irvine/Lawrie), Raith cup tie (he was gonna drop Jacko for McBreen), Arbroath reserves (four centre backs started when two were not fully available for the Saturday), Stirling home (Cameron started over Mooner), QOS (Mooner subbed because???), Ross County (never a place to start with three strikers).

Peaso seems to have a starting jersey written into his contract.

When we go 4-4-2 (especially in the last quarter of games) we look better than 4-3-3

Davie Weatherston has never let us down as a sub yet he cannot get a start

Irvine (and Stanic to a lesser extent) are suffering from trying to perform a dual role

Ando is apparently fourth choice centre-back in the eyes of Del

Of all his signings, only Craig looks to be an improvement over his predecessor(s)

If we win we'll be doing Dundee a favour.

I would hate the Coags to win the league, therefore as we are well out of it this if a meaningless game.

The worst result, in my mind, and I don't care if I'm slated for it is for us to win and give Dundee 3 points.

I could NEVER want Saints not to win

I've never quite understood this "let's try to build for next season" thing. Surely, whether we're aiming to win the league or aiming to build for next season, the end product should be pretty much the same - i.e. we're trying to win matches and play as well as possible. The two shouldn't be mutually exclusive - if we go on a winning run and do well between now and the end of the season, it will hopefully set us up nicely for the start of next season*, and if that means we actually end up catching up with Hamilton in the process, then I'll take that too!

*I'm well aware, of course, that that's what we thought was going to happen last time, and it didn't quite work.

It's a balancing act though. I'm a big fan of Bobby Barr but I wouldn't give him a start because I don't think he's ready yet; the trouble is, most us (OC included) thought that Jacko wasn't ready at the tail-end of last year and we signed Lilley! I'm all for giving youth a chance and building for next season but it must be done with caution.

For example, I don't see why we would play McBreen over Jacko. Jacko is at a level where he can be improved. In terms of Mooner v Cameron, had the league been within in our grasp, I could accept Cameron starting ahead of Moon (providing he was playing better football) but I can't see the point in providing the Arabs with a training facility for youth players when we don't know the potential of such as Moon, Barr, Jinky and Davie W.

It seems that there will always be issues with managers and their team selection, but since Del became manager our squad looks much stronger and the results and performances have improved. I agree that MacDonald shouldn't start at the moment. If its 4-3-3 it should be Weatherston with Peaso on the bench. if we're playing 2 up and 4 in midfield he then can be considered because at the end of last season he had a good partnership with Scotland and was probably the more consistent of the two.

It seems that there will always be issues with managers and their team selection, but since Del became manager our squad looks much stronger and the results and performances have improved. I agree that MacDonald shouldn't start at the moment. If its 4-3-3 it should be Weatherston with Peaso on the bench. if we're playing 2 up and 4 in midfield he then can be considered because at the end of last season he had a good partnership with Scotland and was probably the more consistent of the two.

I agree with you Lincs, Del's team selection has been good with the exception of the Peaso/Wetherston situation. Nice to see a manager who is looking to win and playing the team he feels will do it, and the results prove him right!

Hope I'm not tempting fate here, but I'm pretty confident about tomorrow. We totally owned them in the home game earlier in the season, and in the game at NDP they showed they weren't any better than us as a team regardless of the result. Get Liam in about their kids in the middle and that will shut down their supply - Offiong then becomes disinterested - you get the idea...