Pre-Season Friendlies - 2009/10

ryangordon86

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but Spurs are going to be in Scotland too. They would be a braw visitor.

Holland are coming to Scotland.

Loads of Premier clubs are coming to Scotland but its always a gash game anyway.

sorry to be mr. half empty but does it really matter who we play in Pre season?

to start with Gavin Swankie opened the scoring against Burnley last year. surely thats the biggest insight into not to look into pre season friendlies as anything to go by!!

Friendlies are massively important. They allow the manager to juggle players - work on specific partnerships - try out new ones - look at different systems to start, chase, close out a game etc - play in players - look at different options like the youngsters or trialists (i reckon there will be a fair few of them come August!). Friendlies can add momentum towards the season.

playing a great team isnt what pre season friendly should be about - teams like cowdenbeath build match fitness while playing a first divsion team would see how far we've came. maybe a league 1 team would make it competitive but getting turned over by a second string boro team would be a pointless excercise

i agree. - my point is it doesn't matter if its spurs, man city, blackburn etc. playing a great team and spending 90 minutes chasing shadows isnt very productive.

If we played Blackburn, our midfield would certainly have very sore necks....wouldn't be wise too near to the beginning of the season.

playing a great team isnt what pre season friendly should be about - teams like cowdenbeath build match fitness while playing a first divsion team would see how far we've came. maybe a league 1 team would make it competitive but getting turned over by a second string boro team would be a pointless excercise

I disagree, playing 2nd and 3rd division teams are ok initially to try and get some confidence in the side but we need to play some decent teams to try and get match sharp.

The bottom line is that these games are used to build up fitness, maybe try out a few new players or formations therefore results really do not matter.

So seeing as i would like to go to a friendly or two it would be a bit more appealing to see a game against Spurs or Everton rather than Cowdenbeath away, again.

Glamour friendly against Cowden arranged for the 22nd of July at Central.

Ayr United are claiming they are playing us the night before, so it looks like a return to the OC style of pre-season, with lots of matches in quick succession to build up the fitness. I'm sure OC was quoted as saying you could never play too many pre-season games as the players can never be too fit.

Last summer we were well short of games.

Ayr United are claiming they are playing us the night before, so it looks like a return to the OC style of pre-season, with lots of matches in quick succession to build up the fitness. I'm sure OC was quoted as saying you could never play too many pre-season games as the players can never be too fit.

Last summer we were well short of games.

Surely you can play too many if the team becomes unfit/tired?

Remember these games are played at a fraction of the pace of a competitive one, I love going to them as its the only time i get to watch saints without all the usual stresses that come with league/cup football

I have never subscribed to the idea that Professional footballers who train for 3 hours a day for, say 4 days, and occasionally play for 90 minutes twice a week get tired. Less than 20 hours a week and they are knackered doing a job they love. Nice job if you can get it.

Hearing that a Northern Ireland or even possibly Dublin tour is on the maybe's list for the end of July :)

Oh no!

Supposed to be getting booked up this week for a trip to see Sunderland playing in the Amsterdam tournament the last weekend in July - this causes a little bit of a dilemma!

Oh no!

Supposed to be getting booked up this week for a trip to see Sunderland playing in the Amsterdam tournament the last weekend in July - this causes a little bit of a dilemma!

If i were you i'd hang fire until end of the week, Del back tomorrow from his hols so likely be decided this week at some juncture i'm guessing.

saw on sky sports news that Norwich City to play raith rover, saints and airdrie utd on pre season tour of scotland, so look likely saints home vs Norwich city! should be good match!

Game with Norwich is on Thursday July 16th at St. Andrews University, kick off is 2pm and is open to the public.

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~1689813,00.html