Jacko

SaintDougie

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ach, he's just getting his injuries out the way early in his career.

God I hope so, for the lad's sake. Just can't believe his hellish run of bad luck over the past season or so. Plus, now that Deuchar's going to be here for a longer time than before, I was looking forward to their partnership kicking off again. Pardon the pun!!

Aye, you're probably one the guys who have signed Leigh Griffiths:roll:

Jacko is brilliant player who has a vital role to play at Saints.

whats that got to do with anything? its a bit of a risk though keeping an injury prone player. what happens if jacko gets another long term injury in say march?

Jacko is brilliant player who has a vital role to play at Saints.

Don't you mean Montrose, Arbroath, Brechin etc..... Can't see him coming back to Saints next season as he is so un-fit, too much beef on him (and in him probably!) and would be a liability for the team. So no 101, your wee pal is on the way out, according to the Chairman when I spoke to him

Don't you mean Montrose, Arbroath, Brechin etc..... Can't see him coming back to Saints next season as he is so un-fit, too much beef on him (and in him probably!) and would be a liability for the team. So no 101, your wee pal is on the way out, according to the Chairman when I spoke to him

Talk about harsh.

Jacko is a terrifc player. According to you any player who gets a bad injury can kiss goodbye to his career.

I recall Henrik Larsson coming back from a shocking leg break to go on to star for Celtic and Man Utd.

Crazy talk.

Talk about harsh.

Jacko is a terrifc player. According to you any player who gets a bad injury can kiss goodbye to his career.

I recall Henrik Larsson coming back from a shocking leg break to go on to star for Celtic and Man Utd.

Crazy talk.

Well said. FFS I am mean he had an unlucky 16 months. If we didnt think he was a superb prospect he would have been shipped out long ago. Time for everyone to get real.

Major blow to lose Jacko for this amount of time again. He is the one striker in our squad who i would have total confidence in, to net at least 10 goals next season. Sadly i cant see any of our other strikers hitting this target. Hopefully Del is able to use his contacts down south, to net us a pacey striker who knows where the back of the net is.

Major blow to lose Jacko for this amount of time again. He is the one striker in our squad who i would have total confidence in, to net at least 10 goals next season. Sadly i cant see any of our other strikers hitting this target. Hopefully Del is able to use his contacts down south, to net us a pacey striker who knows where the back of the net is.

You don't think Savo is capable of scoring 10 goals this season?

Savo seems to be completely and utterly unappreciated by some of our support. He is not even making the bench in some folks starting elevens!!

His goalscoring record speaks for itself but he also scores when it matters, a la at Dens, against Morton. He is a class act in my view.

Sorry to go off topic.

Savo seems to be completely and utterly unappreciated by some of our support. He is not even making the bench in some folks starting elevens!!

His goalscoring record speaks for itself but he also scores when it matters, a la at Dens, against Morton. He is a class act in my view.

Sorry to go off topic.

I also apologise for staying off topic. My problem with Savo is goals per chances ratio. He needs a lot of chances and I am not sure he will be furnished with a huge amount this season.

I also apologise for staying off topic. My problem with Savo is goals per chances ratio. He needs a lot of chances and I am not sure he will be furnished with a huge amount this season.

I have to say Im with the previous poster that Im a bit lost as to why savo is so under-rated amongst our support looking at his strike rate....

103(26) appearances 50 goals 49% strike rate (per start)

.....id argue thats a decent return in anybodys book. You add that to his work-rate (which will be even more important this season) I cant understand why he wouldnt be one of the first on the team sheet.

Jackos return for comparasion is

44(40) appearances 19 goals. Which is pretty similar 43% (per start)

Samuel 19 (11) appearances 7 goals 37% (per start)

Peaso 127(85) appearances 51 goals 40%

Savo compares even better when you take sub appearance in to account.

I don't think any of our strikers will hit double figures this season, and I doubt even a fit Jackson would have come close (especially as he probably wouldn't have been an automatic starter anyway). Even when we finished third in the SPL, none of our strikers managed that, and I don't think our current strikers are better (none of them have been massively prolific, even in the First Division). Plus, I doubt you'll see Del stick with a settled enough strike partnership for one single prolific striker to emerge.

I think you'll see a good spread of goals being scored from throughout the team this season (definitely not a bad thing), but I reckon 7 or 8 goals could be just about enough to finish as our top scorer.

I have to say Im with the previous poster that Im a bit lost as to why savo is so under-rated amongst our support looking at his strike rate....

103(26) appearances 50 goals 49% strike rate (per start)

.....id argue thats a decent return in anybodys book. You add that to his work-rate (which will be even more important this season) I cant understand why he wouldnt be one of the first on the team sheet.

Jackos return for comparasion is

44(40) appearances 19 goals. Which is pretty similar 43% (per start)

Samuel 19 (11) appearances 7 goals 37% (per start)

Peaso 127(85) appearances 51 goals 40%

Savo compares even better when you take sub appearance in to account.

The only thing I would say to that is Savo has a lot more experience than Jacko and without his injuries I dont think its too much to suggest Jacko would have a better strike rate.

Sorry to go off topic.

Perhaps i have underestimated Savo, although thats not to say im not a fan of his, far from it, i also think he is a class act. What i was trying to convey, was that if i was to put money on one of our strikers scoring a goal in a "one on one" situation, my money would always be on Jackson, as i believe he is more clinical in front of goal, than anyone else at the club.

Barring Collin Samuel, i really do think we have a lack of pace up front, another reason why its such a blow to be without Jacko for the start of the season.

I don't think any of our strikers will hit double figures this season, and I doubt even a fit Jackson would have come close (especially as he probably wouldn't have been an automatic starter anyway). Even when we finished third in the SPL, none of our strikers managed that, and I don't think our current strikers are better (none of them have been massively prolific, even in the First Division). Plus, I doubt you'll see Del stick with a settled enough strike partnership for one single prolific striker to emerge.

I think you'll see a good spread of goals being scored from throughout the team this season (definitely not a bad thing), but I reckon 7 or 8 goals could be just about enough to finish as our top scorer.

I reckon Savo will get 12 goals next season. He will be comfortably our top scorer with that right enough.

The only thing I would say to that is Savo has a lot more experience than Jacko and without his injuries I dont think its too much to suggest Jacko would have a better strike rate.
Experience at our level is over rated in my book. Give me a fresh, arrogant sod with confidence over someone who has been over the course. Take abolsutely nothing away from Savo though.

Then again, Savo has had his share of injuries too. I appriaciate Savo is more experienced than Jacko but surely his experience is another thing in his favour? Im not trying to make this a Jackson vs Savo thread as I am a big fan of Jackson. I just struggling to understand why last season's top scorer, the striker with the best strike rate at the club, and possible to best work-rate doesnt seemed to be rated by a large number of our fans. He is pretty quick as well. When people were asked to pick the best 18 in another thread I was surprised how many people didnt have him in the first 11 and totally bemused by those who didnt even feature him on the bench.

Then again, Savo has had his share of injuries too. I appriaciate Savo is more experienced than Jacko but surely his experience is another thing in his favour? Im not trying to make this a Jackson vs Savo thread as I am a big fan of Jackson. I just struggling to understand why last season's top scorer, the striker with the best strike rate at the club, and possible to best work-rate doesnt seemed to be rated by a large number of our fans. He is pretty quick as well. When people were asked to pick the best 18 in another thread I was surprised how many people didnt have him in the first 11 and totally bemused by those who didnt even feature him on the bench.
I cant remember if I had him on the bench or not but my decision is based on a pairing not as an individual. Sammy and the Doc Excites me........Savo/Doc Savo/Sammy doesnt do it for me

I think Savo finished the season very well. I don't think he worked well with Holmes and Samuel was a better partner. I like Savo, he works hard for the team and gets his fair share of goals but sometimes his first touch lets him dowm and I worry that he wont work well with a target man again. Saying that he would be in my squad if not my first eleven every week.

Savo would start every game for me, think he has a real touch of class about him. There is no reason a partnership between him and Deuchar should not work; I will admit to having not seen them play together yet though.

Also felt Savo and Samuel worked well towards the end of the season, led to us playing much better football than when Holmes started matches.

I said some time ago that Jackson had the Darren Anderton look about him, spending more time away from the football arena and more on the treatment table. Darren Anderton never really fulfulled his potential (I know he played over 400 games) because of his affection for sick notes and I hope this sorry Jackson saga comes to a complete end soon.

Edited by StDuncM

• 4 months later...

Stolen from temple but it appears that Jacko has been out that long I forgot who he was playing against when he got injured - http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2009/12/08/sportstory14227074t0.asp

"And I was only just getting fully fit when I did my achilles against Livingston"

cant wait for the wee guy to get back.

Edited by garydavidson