Airdrie Chairman Wishes Us Well...

Saintkev

The following programme notes from Monday night's game were sent to me and asked to be shared on here... interesting reading from a decent guy, who despite being chairman was still playing for the Airdrie Supporter's team less than 5 years ago!!

“Today we welcome the Division One Champions 2008-09, St. Johnstone, who are worthy winners. The only disappointment was that they didn’t buy anybody off us this season as in previous seasons! The Perth men suffered the most as a result of the Gretna circus therefore it is thoroughly deserved on a moral basis too. Those inside football knew how Gretna were going to end but unfortunately the press took to them as the ‘cuddly toys’ of Scottish football and averted their gaze from the damage they were doing to all the other clubs. The press was told by many, including Geoff Brown on a number of occasions, that it would end in tears but they chose to ignore it and continued to peddle the myth ‘living the dream’. We all knew it was BUYING THE DREAM but we had to sit and stomach the cringe-worthy worship by the press of the monster they helped create. At least today, with St. Johnstone winning the SFL it will partly put right a great wrong. Congratulations guys, you deserve it, and I wish you all the best in the SPL.”

Jim Ballantyne Diamonds Chairman

That almost endears me to Airdie. Believe me that is some feat.

In fairness, they seem to be a well run club these days and I wish them all the best.

I do reckon Ayr United will be promoted at their expense though.

I think it could go either way, both teams have been playing well. One could argue Airdrie's form has probably been better (0-4 drubbings excluded with weak side) and Ayr's confidence may have taken a kick having led from the front in their division for so long.

Airdie finished with a very respectable point tally in the tighest divisiopn ever.

Personally, I would like Ayr to come up, I like change and although we are not in the division, I will still be interested in how it pans out

Members of our board also think Jim Ballantyne is a decent bloke, word on the street was that they were enjoying the lapdancing bar that Mr Ballantyne own's in Glasgow just a little bit too much, last Saturday!

Shocking behaviour if true but are these just scurrilous allegations from a jealous dog lover woof woof........down Jake............

Jim Ballantyne is a decent bloke. Folk will point to the fact they effectively bought Clydebank but it was a disgrace that the member clubs (and Saints were one of them) turned their back on Airdrie and voted Gretna into the league.

It was set against a backdrop of Airdrie fans causing carnage as things headed towards the end of their existence though. They weren't exactly a popular club. At the time, I didn't want Airdrie to be voted back in. In hindsight I agree with you that it was the wrong decision.

That was really good to read and to hear it come from someone else high in another 1st division club is a breath of fresh air, what with all the debts going around in football these days it seems like there are at least 2 sensible chairmen out there!

Never liked Airdrie either but seems to me like they deserve to stay in the 1st division with some of their results and performances.

Well done Jim Ballantyne there are very few of you that have balls big enough to say what you really think. Hat off to you sir! :)

It was set against a backdrop of Airdrie fans causing carnage as things headed towards the end of their existence though.

at least they went down fighting.and i would have been the same back in the mid 80's,if it had happened to us.they still have passionate fans down there.cheers mr chairman,real football bloke.