How did you start supporting Saints?

101 Saint

What made you a Saint's supporter  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because my Dad took me, as will hopefully my two laddies. Primary Source for fanbase I would suspect. It costs me a bloody fortune every week but I see it as my duty!!

But, we still need to be seen as doing things in the community. Giving out free tickets in the school could get a paying adult through the door too.

There has to be a two tong approached. Get the team in schools, get them interested, give free tickets, followed by discounted ones. Run competitions in the school, advertise the Super J's through the schools etc etc.

Your primary source of future fan is pretty much a given, do the extra bit to secure fans that wouldnt have even come.

I was taken to games by my Grandad, saw well over 30 games and hadn't seen us lose once. Was awesome, can't remember the first defeat, was probably once i got a season ticket. I really hope we can win the cup this year so he can atleast be told about it and know that his team finally got the monkey off their back whilst he was still on this earth.

I was taken to games by my Grandad, saw well over 30 games and hadn't seen us lose once. Was awesome, can't remember the first defeat, was probably once i got a season ticket. I really hope we can win the cup this year so he can atleast be told about it and know that his team finally got the monkey off their back whilst he was still on this earth.

Sounds very familiar, albeit worked caused me to miss most of the noughties. What age are you, if it's not too personal. I'm 29 and grandad is 84.

I think I actually started going because McDiarmid Park was built. There was a bit of a buzz around it at the time, so I started going with my dad, and soon started wanting to go every week.

Now that is an interesting one. Never thought of that as an option. Wonder how that will work when we next move. I suspect we'll lose more than we gain in any move. Feck, I'm hi-jacking a thread that I started. The haters willnae be happy!!!

My first games were at Easter Road when my Dad took me when I used to visit my gran and grandad in Edinburgh, around the time when George Best was there. After they spilt up I stayed in Luncarty and the old boy next door asked me if I wanted to go to Muirton (with my brother) to see Saints. That's how I started, my brother is now a ***!

Now that is an interesting one. Never thought of that as an option. Wonder how that will work when we next move. I suspect we'll lose more than we gain in any move. Feck, I'm hi-jacking a thread that I started. The haters willnae be happy!!!

I reckon there must be loads of Perth people who, like me, started going to watch Saints during 89/90 purely because of the arrival of McDiarmid Park - but I reckon the novelty wore off for most of them and they dropped away years ago. From my perspective, I wasn't even interested in football, let alone Saints, before McDiarmid happened, so I guess it's possible that if it wasn't for that stadium I wouldn't have any interest in the sport at all even now. Bruce McDiarmid has cost me a helluva lot of money!!:)

my dad was a saints fan(seen at muirton with his dog Nero), two brothers are fans too, but strangely i never had much time for football until i met my future wife. i started by going to couple of games then slowly found myself trying to scrape money together at the end of the month that's when i thought 'I'm a saintee now if my dads watching he's fallen off his cloud'

I reckon there must be loads of Perth people who, like me, started going to watch Saints during 89/90 purely because of the arrival of McDiarmid Park - but I reckon the novelty wore off for most of them and they dropped away years ago. From my perspective, I wasn't even interested in football, let alone Saints, before McDiarmid happened, so I guess it's possible that if it wasn't for that stadium I wouldn't have any interest in the sport at all even now. Bruce McDiarmid has cost me a helluva lot of money!!:)

I'd reckon that plenty coffin dodgers gave up their season tickets when we moved though. So hard to be sure but I remember saying lasting farewells to a few of grandads buddies in April 1989

As a kid, I gradually started getting into football through watching the few live games that were on TV - Liverpool and Aberdeen in Europe stand out. None of my family were into football and I usually ended up on the South Inch on a Saturday afternoon watching the amateur games. I only started going to Saints games after I had left Perth - think my first game was away at Meadowbank - partly because I didnt have to work on Saturdays when I was a student. Then I started coming back up to Perth for home games mainly because of the buzz around the new ground. Ultimately, the main reason I support Saints is that when I started showing an interest in football, it was important to me to support my local team.

My old boy was a policeman and worked there most weeks. I used to go down and meet him at the main entrance on the Dunkeld Road and he would take me in to the ground, tell me to behave myself and leave me to get on with it.That was the late 70s. Then I started selling programmes. Did that for a few seasons and the rest is as they say " history" I don't think I paid to get in for about three seasons and then after that it was not uncommon for a few of us to climb in at the corner on Florence Place.. In the early 80's I started going to away games. Sometimes on the Barrosa street bus but usually the Choo-Choo with the likes of Slf, Fair City Firm, Dougie McConnell and many other reprobates. We got into all sorts of bother:oops: but by god we had a blast. Promotion in 82/83 was a highlight. Trips to Dunfermline, Raith, Airdrie , Hearts at Tynecastle on New years Day ( which we lost 1-0 in front of a massive 1st division crowd of about 15,000 .....more than last week:laugh:) and of course Alloa where we secured the title. And then the dread drop ( down down deeper on down:cry: it was awful but by then I had started working as a chef and so most Saturdays I had to work. The damagae had been well done by then though and Saints were firmly in my heart and soul...I always managed to get to the big games but it is only ibn the last 5 or 6 years that I have been able to attend every week which is just great...:D:D

Sounds very familiar, albeit worked caused me to miss most of the noughties. What age are you, if it's not too personal. I'm 29 and grandad is 84.

I'm 25, was only in our last stint in the premier that i got a season ticket. Not sure how old my grandad is, think he may around the same age region as yours.

My mum got me into football and Saints, but my dad took me to my first game.

Ditto for me too I guess.

Was papped to my grandparents on a Sat afternoon whilst my brothers and mum went to the football and went occasionally if dad was going too - midweek games I was often up the back of the ormand stand sleeping!

Returned to McDiarmid to see what the fuss was the season after Europe and the first game I witnessed that season was against Livingston, sure Keigan Parker was just breaking through at that point. I can still remember Choppers strop when mum told him I was going....:laugh:

I remember not long after I started going regularly, I was prob bout 12/13 and Alan Main took my pad into the dressing room, got me all the squads signatures and brought it back to me for kick off telling me he got a row for doing it...:laugh:

My two brothers and I still regularly go to the football now and unfortunately my mum hasn't been able to make it so much this season but we're still a family of diehard Saintees - even my dad is becoming more interested in the results again as he would generally only go if he had to!

I think the main reason for most Saints fans will be generally family but it's safe to say since discovering the social aspect of the football I love it even more and have memories, experiences, and the friends i've made through it will last me a lifetime.... cannae beat supporting a wee club for the experiences you get compared to the 'success' of the Old Firm.

Nice to see so many families and kids getting into the Saintees over the past few seasons though - definately a lot more kids coming along to the J208 bus and families for a day out which is great news for the future.