#24 - 27/1/10 - Dundee Utd 3-3 Saints - SPL

Sod it. First game this season I won't make as I'm going to be in Cardiff all week. Del should perhaps go with as few changes as possible for consistencys sake on Wednesday bar McCaffrey if he's fit for Gartland. The important thing As always coming off games against either of the OF is our approach and attitude.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 days here as well chopper.

3.7.4 Any period of suspension incurred by a player as a result of his having accumulated 18 or more penalty points, shall commence on the 14th day following the date of the offence which resulted in the incurring of the suspension. The suspension shall apply until such time as the requisite number of matches have been completed by his club in the competition in which the suspension was incurred, in accordance with the provisions of Paragraph 3.8.

I stand corrected - however the cup ties mean the original point is still accurate :wink:

Badfanny has been playing well in the past few games and he will need to be given plenty attention, not a job I feel Ando is suited too but I felt he did alright on Sunday. Maybe McCaffrey would be better suited to this.

Plenty folk seem to be recognising the improvement in Doc's game on Sunday so does he deserve to keep his place in the team with Sheridan on the bench? I wanted to start with Peaso on Sunday but felt Savo did better than expect. Based on this I'd go with Savo to start.

Do we have room for a big and small striker on the bench as well as 2 under 21s?

I'd go with this:

Smith

Irvine Mackay McCaffrey Grainger

Millar Moon Morris Craig

Deuchar Savo

SUBS: Main, Ando, Davidson, Sheridan, Peaso, Reynolds, May

Hmm, means leaving out Morais, In that case I'd take one of the forwards off the bench as Morais can play an attacking role. Good to have a problem with too many forwards for a change.

Badfanny has been playing well in the past few games and he will need to be given plenty attention, not a job I feel Ando is suited too but I felt he did alright on Sunday. Maybe McCaffrey would be better suited to this.

Plenty folk seem to be recognising the improvement in Doc's game on Sunday so does he deserve to keep his place in the team with Sheridan on the bench? I wanted to start with Peaso on Sunday but felt Savo did better than expect. Based on this I'd go with Savo to start.

Do we have room for a big and small striker on the bench as well as 2 under 21s?

I'd go with this:

Smith

Irvine Mackay McCaffrey Grainger

Millar Moon Morris Craig

Deuchar Savo

SUBS: Main, Ando, Davidson, Sheridan, Peaso, Reynolds, May

Hmm, means leaving out Morais, In that case I'd take one of the forwards off the bench as Morais can play an attacking role. Good to have a problem with too many forwards for a change.

Jacko will be one of the under 21's will he not?? And Sheridan will be another

I'd go with...

Smith.

Irvine, Mackay, McCaffrey, Grainger.

Millar, Muzz, Morris, Craig.

Sheridan Savo

SUBS: Main, Ando, Mooner, Deuchar, Peaso, Morais, Jacko

Under 21's highlighted

United have really bounced back well from a couple of bad results and will be a team full of confidence. I caught a chunk of their game yesterday and they bossed the middle of the park (best midfield outside of the Old Firm IMO) and Goodwillie looked like he's in the groove at the moment. Whoever plays at the back for them, they'll deal with aerial balls all day long and they'll press and work in the midfield to try and make us play that way. It'll be a really tough game for us but at the same time, we shouldn't forget we knocked them out of the Co-op Cup with a team that was missing several key players and the league match at McDiarmid was close as well from what I remember. First goal is always crucial but we need to ensure we don't conced early and give them any added confidence.

I don't think you can ever take too much of a dunt in your own belief after losing to the Old Firm and we'd had a few decent results of our own prior to the Celtic match. We need to pass the ball about and as such need to compete with them in the midfield so I wouldn't change the four from yesterday, although there might be a temptation to play Moon instead of Davidson to try and rotate these two over the next few weeks with so many games coming up. Anderson in for Gartland at the back for me. Said it before but I'd probably have McCaffrey at the bottom of the pecking order as in my eyes he's struggled whenever he's come up against a player with either power or pace this season. Would keep Milne in the attack, paired with one of the three other options. Deuchar, as expected, didn't get much out of the United defence the first time we played them (although did create our first and win the FK for our second) but I think got more in the cup game and obviously had a good showing yesterday. MacDonald was obviously terrific at Motherwell though. Don't know enough about Sheridan but would probably say he's got to earn his place in the side from the bench.

Smith

Irvine - Mackay - Anderson - Grainger

Millar - Morris - Davidson/Moon - Craig

Milne - Deuchar/MacDonald

Subbies: Main, McCaffrey, Moon/Davidson, Morais, Deuchar/MacDonald, Sheridan, Jackson.

I'm not sure you've seen Anderson outside of centre half. As a full-back he is absolutely abysmal. On his day he's the best centre half at the club, when given a run in the team.

I think Anderson can do a job at full back in the big games against top class opponents, where the onus is very much on him to defend. His problem is obviously he's a centre back and isn't going to offer much bursting up the line. I thought, for example, he did really well against McGeady in the Scottish Cup a few years ago and also against Corcoran when St Mirren came to town in the same competition the next year.

It's a bit like when Sturrock used to play Stuart McCluskey at right back against the Old Firm and he'd always look the part there.

As Radford has said United's midfield is very strong and we will have to win the battle in the middle of the park to take anything out of this one. I'd opt for Moon's passing ability over Davidson's fight. Yesterday convinced me Grainger simply isn't good enough, but with no other option, he stays in the team.

My personal team-

Smith

Irvine-MacKay-Caff-Grainger

Morais-Morris-Moon-Craig

Deuchar-Savo

Subs- Main, Anderson, Millar, Sheridan, Jackson, Peaso, Davidson

Would be good to bounce back from Sunday's disappointment and I'd go:

Smith

Irvine MacKay Anderson Grainger

Millar Morris Davidson Craig

Deuchar Savo

Subs- Main, Sheridan, Morais, Jackson, MacDonald, Moon and McCaffrey

Ah, I like what you've done there to get past the U21 rule. I'd start Moon over Muzz this week though.