Dundee in Administration on Wednesday

Real Madrid

I have stayed in Dundee for around 10 years. My sons go to school in Dundee and my wife is from a family who are predominately Dundee Supporters. I have acquaintances who are Dundee Fans that were at Hampden caught up in the spirit of the occasion. I categorically tell you, without question, many Dundee Fans Watched the game from the United end that you filled!

Perhaps this is a good thing for the City of Dundee because surely some of the Dee Fans will defect when they go bust? :D

Yes, Dundee United Sold the tickets but NO they do not all watch United Regular (or you would have a larger home average? Surely?) A very large % of the the support will lay claim to be United 'fans' but the rest are not. You cannot dispute this, surely?

I really hate these type of discussions, lets all have a wank at the size of a crowd, quite pathetic really :roll:

Thing is, show me a team that wouldn't take a larger than normal crowd to a cup final....I don't really get either side of the argument here :confused:

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy to accept anecdotal evidence that some of the crowd may have been from families who are 'Dundee minded', but it is quite another thing to claim such a tremendous achievement is somehow reliant upon Dees.

'I really hate these type of discussions, lets all have a wank at the size of a crowd, quite pathetic really'

Then why contribute? Is it because Saints are lacking in the crowd dept?:wink:

All kidding aside, how many do you think St Johnstone would take to a Cup final against Utd?

I'm happy to accept anecdotal evidence that some of the crowd may have been from families who are 'Dundee minded', but it is quite another thing to claim such a tremendous achievement is somehow reliant upon Dees.

'I really hate these type of discussions, lets all have a wank at the size of a crowd, quite pathetic really'

Then why contribute? Is it because Saints are lacking in the crowd dept?:wink:

All kidding aside, how many do you think St Johnstone would take to a Cup final against Utd?

8 - 10k - Many of which would claim the OF to be their 'big' team. I am sure we took about 10k to Parkhead in 1999

Thing is, show me a team that wouldn't take a larger than normal crowd to a cup final....I don't really get either side of the argument here :confused:

Have to agree. 28000 is excellent even if there were a number of Dees and neutrals included. What matters is the club were able to muster that many in their support.

I see no figure is given for the number of Dundee fans involved, just heresay. It would need to be a large number to disproportionately inflate the United support. What if 5000 Dees and 3000 nuetrals were following United? It means 'only' 20000 were 'true' Arabs. Is that still not a figure to be proud of in 2010?

28000 might be a decent number BUT how many of them attend at Tannadice every week NOW ?

post 651 applies to this I reckon....

no club would match week in week out whatever crowd they took to a cup final.

On a smaller yet probably as consistent scale, Saints would probably get a larger home crowd for a game against Dundee Utd than they would against, say, Hamilton....its just the way it is

28000 might be a decent number BUT how many of them attend at Tannadice every week NOW ?

Ffs AS, most of the football we watch (spl) is pretty poor! Year in year out we sit freezing our *******s off hoping for something in return...in may Utd had a moment in time where it all seems worth it. I love the cup final and (with 2 exceptions) I want every team to get their day out at Hampden in the sun, why some people would want to belittle or carp about the number of 'real fans' is bitter and sad.

Ffs AS, most of the football we watch (spl) is pretty poor! Year in year out we sit freezing our *******s off hoping for something in return...in may Utd had a moment in time where it all seems worth it. I love the cup final and (with 2 exceptions) I want every team to get their day out at Hampden in the sun, why some people would want to belittle or carp about the number of 'real fans' is bitter and sad.

Now this is the kind of post that really does piss me off.:evil:

you are more than welcome on a Saints forum, it is good to have REAL football banter.

BUT when you try to twist words (as you did earlier in posting aswell) to say I am "belittling" real fans is the really "SAD" thing.

I have already stated it was a great thing for Scottish football (you have chosen to ignore that and tried to twist the arguement) and will say it again, i would have a cup final without the OFevery year.

We actually thought about takinga bus from the 208 to the game.

Now if we thought that, how many people from Dundee (that didn't support United) ACTUALY did go because of the unique occasion?

the answer is thousands.

If Saints had got to the final against County, I would guess at least 15k would have been there from Perth and I would never be as ignorant as to suggest that 15k were all Saints fans.

so please keep posting but do not twist peoples wording :twisted:

Now if we thought that, how many people from Dundee (that didn't support United) ACTUALY did go because of the unique occasion?

the answer is thousands.

Both you and Mike keep saying this but neither of you respond to my request for figures. How many Dee's actually went and do the two of you know for certain?

I'm not trying to get into an argument with either of you. I'm just genuinely interested!

Both you and Mike keep saying this but neither of you respond to my request for figures. How many Dee's actually went and do the two of you know for certain?

I'm not trying to get into an argument with either of you. I'm just genuinely interested!

I would like to think that as a fitba man I can assume that this is a fairly accurate asumption.

I know, as Mike does, of people that went for the day out and have spoken to DFC & DUFC fans recently on Scotland trips that agree.

to ask me "how may dee's actually went" is a stupid question as you know damn fine I cannot tell you that.:roll:

I would like to think that as a fitba man I can assume that this is a fairly accurate asumption.

I know, as Mike does, of people that went for the day out and have spoken to DFC & DUFC fans recently on Scotland trips that agree.

to ask me "how may dee's actually went" is a stupid question as you know damn fine I cannot tell you that.:roll:

I don't know damn fine at all hence asking!!!

You keep making such a definite statement it sounded as if you knew some definite figures. Didn't realise it was just based on talking to a few folk after all but at least that clears that one up.

FFS.

I don't know damn fine at all hence asking!!!

You keep making such a definite statement it sounded as if you knew some definite figures. Didn't realise it was just based on talking to a few folk after all but at least that clears that one up.

FFS.

Thought you were not wanting an arguement FFS:wink:

Come on blue, how the hell would I know how many?

but it is fair to assume that the few people i know from Dundee wen, Mike knows of some then by law of averages you can work out that it was fairly large amount.

that is not taking into account the common sense factor, average United support in general and at previous finals.

works for me.

PEACE MAN:wink:

Thought you were not wanting an arguement FFS:wink:

Come on blue, how the hell would I know how many?

but it is fair to assume that the few people i know from Dundee wen, Mike knows of some then by law of averages you can work out that it was fairly large amount.

that is not taking into account the common sense factor, average United support in general and at previous finals.

works for me.

PEACE MAN:wink:

Peace indeed! Ehm awa fir a beer.

Wasnt attempting to belittle anybody....nor was i trying to belittle the people who can only pick and choose games that they want to watch due to work-familly and work committments.

Just generalising that Most folk want to be at a cup final to take in and make up an atmosphere......The SPL is only poor because the finances are not equally shared out between all clubs.......bet in days gone by -Tannadice would be full every time the OF or other clubs (abdn-Hearts Hibs etc ) visited.

Doesnt happen now tho.

Now this is the kind of post that really does piss me off.:evil:

you are more than welcome on a Saints forum, it is good to have REAL football banter.

BUT when you try to twist words (as you did earlier in posting aswell) to say I am "belittling" real fans is the really "SAD" thing.

I have already stated it was a great thing for Scottish football (you have chosen to ignore that and tried to twist the arguement) and will say it again, i would have a cup final without the OFevery year.

We actually thought about takinga bus from the 208 to the game.

the answer is thousands.

If Saints had got to the final against County, I would guess at least 15k would have been there from Perth and I would never be as ignorant as to suggest that 15k were all Saints fans.

so please keep posting but do not twist peoples wording :twisted:

You must be easily pissed off John.

This is becoming circular! You offer endless anecdotes about the who went to the cup final, but as Blue has shown no real evidence. I have been to 9 cup finals with Dundee Utd, we always take more than 15k and against ST Mirren and Motherwell over 20k (because we get the tickets). In May WE TOOK OVER 28K. As you keep saying you did not go, you were not there but you seem intent on making some point that somehow there were thousands of Dundee fans there? I have been to dens many times over the years, but would never ware their colours. just as I have been to many Saints games, but would never (ever)ware red white and blue.

I took my 3 kids and my wife, (=+4), loads of my mated who are out of the habit of going to the football went and took their families, my old man goes every week, took his girlfriend who has never been to match in her life, I know several people no longer of this parish who came home for the weekend- just accept that no matter how you wish it to be different it was United fans not supporters, but fans, is that so difficult to except?

Most Dundee fans I know were seriously shell shocked at not gaining promotion and beginning to realise all was not well at Dens, and as if that was not enough they're 2 months from hell was complete when Utd cantered to 3rd, Europe and a 2nd Scottish cup. The last place you would find Dundee fans is festooned in Tangerine singing Love is in the Air at Hampden, this too is beyond reasonable argument.

You must be easily pissed off John.

This is becoming circular! You offer endless anecdotes about the who went to the cup final, but as Blue has shown no real evidence. I have been to 9 cup finals with Dundee Utd, we always take more than 15k and against ST Mirren and Motherwell over 20k (because we get the tickets). In May WE TOOK OVER 28K. As you keep saying you did not go, you were not there but you seem intent on making some point that somehow there were thousands of Dundee fans there? I have been to dens many times over the years, but would never ware their colours. just as I have been to many Saints games, but would never (ever)ware red white and blue.

I took my 3 kids and my wife, (=+4), loads of my mated who are out of the habit of going to the football went and took their families, my old man goes every week, took his girlfriend who has never been to match in her life, I know several people no longer of this parish who came home for the weekend- just accept that no matter how you wish it to be different it was United fans not supporters, but fans, is that so difficult to except?

Most Dundee fans I know were seriously shell shocked at not gaining promotion and beginning to realise all was not well at Dens, and as if that was not enough they're 2 months from hell was complete when Utd cantered to 3rd, Europe and a 2nd Scottish cup. The last place you would find Dundee fans is festooned in Tangerine singing Love is in the Air at Hampden, this too is beyond reasonable argument.

None of us would wear red, white and blue to a Saints game either!!!