auld shops

Wish i was Joe McGurn

Never knew there was a butchers here. Live in the block down and have always thought the windows on this flat look out of place.

When did it change and has anyone got a photo of it?

Think it was called Ballantynes. Used to have the big butcher statue outside if I mind right.

Beltin pies too!!

Mrs. says Abbotsford was a co-op.

Remember it well, as my Granny used to send me there when we visited.

Dark wood everywhere, including he noisy floorboards. They had an office at the back, and one of those vacuum tubes, which whizzed off with your money and zipped backed with your change and receipt.

Everything you bought was carefully wrapped in brown paper and tied neatly with string.

The only thing missing was Arkwright:D

• 1 month later...

Remember it well, as my Granny used to send me there when we visited.

Dark wood everywhere, including he noisy floorboards. They had an office at the back, and one of those vacuum tubes, which whizzed off with your money and zipped backed with your change and receipt.

Everything you bought was carefully wrapped in brown paper and tied neatly with string.

The only thing missing was Arkwright:D

Shopping habits have sure changed, I was a message laddie for Campbells the grocers in South St beside Kennaways.

When I think back we used to deliver messages fie the Glens to Scone and points in between. Folk were sure loyal shoppers in them days most folk didnea have phones so they would traipse into the toon pit their orders in pick up bits and pieces and away home. Some off them were pensioners and when you arrived wie their

messages they were glad to see you made the job worthwhile, hell we used to pit their messages away for them then they wid say heres something for yourself and shove a tanner in your hand.

I used to get a pound a week, it wis a Miss Campbell that was the owner I think she had taken over fie her faither she wis a delight to work for, Thursday and Friday wis always busy so when you finished for the day she would hand you a bag wie 6 eggs 1/2 lb bacon and a couple off penguins.

Well I am now a pensioner and if I get something delivered I always gie the boys something, so I guess I learned well fie them auld dears near sixty years ago.

Excuse the the ramblings off an oldtimer. John.W

My dearly departed dad bought me my first record player in Drummonds - a red and blue plastic thing with a mic and headphones called a Frisco Disco. It took 6 x C batteries which didn't last long! The first record I played on it was Kim Wilde - 'Kids In America'. Wonderful memories...:oops::laugh:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z7t_T-tsmH4/TSyXXTs17oI/AAAAAAAABQs/dleqT7fanBk/s1600/frisco.jpg

Anyone remember Murray's bike shop on Atholl Street?

It's a flat now. If you're walking past have a look at the window (it's got a weird reflective coating on it) and you'll notice the newer brickwork that filled in what was the display window of the shop to replace with a smaller window for a house.

Shopping habits have sure changed, I was a message laddie for Campbells the grocers in South St beside Kennaways.

When I think back we used to deliver messages fie the Glens to Scone and points in between. Folk were sure loyal shoppers in them days most folk didnea have phones so they would traipse into the toon pit their orders in pick up bits and pieces and away home. Some off them were pensioners and when you arrived wie their

messages they were glad to see you made the job worthwhile, hell we used to pit their messages away for them then they wid say heres something for yourself and shove a tanner in your hand.

I used to get a pound a week, it wis a Miss Campbell that was the owner I think she had taken over fie her faither she wis a delight to work for, Thursday and Friday wis always busy so when you finished for the day she would hand you a bag wie 6 eggs 1/2 lb bacon and a couple off penguins.

Well I am now a pensioner and if I get something delivered I always gie the boys something, so I guess I learned well fie them auld dears near sixty years ago.

Excuse the the ramblings off an oldtimer. John.W

John, the world has changed but honesty and decency hopefully will last forever. Hope my boys continue it as well.

Anyone remember Murray's bike shop on Atholl Street?

It's a flat now. If you're walking past have a look at the window (it's got a weird reflective coating on it) and you'll notice the newer brickwork that filled in what was the display window of the shop to replace with a smaller window for a house.

Aye, J & P Murray's I think it was or J P Murray's.

#John W mentioning Kennaways the baker...does anyone mind the (family sized) cake they did that had like cold congealed custard in the middle and the top of the sponge had toasted coconut bits..I loved it and miss it big time...my folks told me it was called a Saturday Cake because they only baked it ..guess ???..aye..on a Saturday.....and then I'm sure one appeared on a Tuesday....I think the problem was that I liked it that much they were faird I asked for it all the time...can anyone remember the cake or if I was taken a len of :wink:

#John W mentioning Kennaways the baker...does anyone mind the (family sized) cake they did that had like cold congealed custard in the middle and the top of the sponge had toasted coconut bits..I loved it and miss it big time...my folks told me it was called a Saturday Cake because they only baked it ..guess ???..aye..on a Saturday.....and then I'm sure one appeared on a Tuesday....I think the problem was that I liked it that much they were faird I asked for it all the time...can anyone remember the cake or if I was taken a len of :wink:

Remember them well, Christies used to do them, also Greggs used to do them as well, when i was with them late 90s

What was the name of the grocer shop next door to P.D. Malloch's in the old high street and when did it shut down ?

There are metal signs high up on the wall for Thomson's Whisky and Thomson's Tea. Reckon the shop lasted until the 1980s (cant be more specific).

There are metal signs high up on the wall for Thomson's Whisky and Thomson's Tea. Reckon the shop lasted until the 1980s (cant be more specific).

I remember that shop, it used to smell something terrible as it had everything loose in big canisters e.g. teas, coffees, all kinds of flour, lentils, soap powder, etc etc so you got hit by an amalgamation of all of them when you went in. :wacko:

Pennywise was directly across the road from it. Now the Manna House or something.

my maw worked in kennoways.i mind the cake ,it wis braw.