perth on tv

Wish i was Joe McGurn

Did enjoy it,some nice shots of Perth. On the down side he could have mentioned more of our history ie JACOBITE BATTLE on the North Inch,home of the Black Watch,and we do still have castles in Perth. On the up side he mentioned St.Johnstone more times than Sportscene:razz:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was ok until near the end. They must've run out of material. Could have spent a bit of time out at Scone Palace or even done a story (John Laurie style) about Huntingtower, is the old mill still there, I stopped many a time on the way back from the Almond to get ice cold water from that old well at the bottom of the hill outside the castle/keep. I mean nearly every town has got its own recycling arrangements nowadays did anybody enjoy that.

Edited by Indicator

I really enjoyed it and thought it was all very positive. Some parts of the history. I didn't know such as the hundreds of bodies buried under the paving on St.Johns Street. In general, I think I agree with him that being a town and not a city is part of what makes Perth a nice place to live.

I actually did enjoy the recycling part at the end because it's something I am interested in. I like the fact that Perth recycles nearly 50% of its waste and it's nice to see so many residents just taking to recycling without a moan. I wasn't aware that a lot of it is hand sorted!

Can't quite understand why anyone would think it painted Perth in anything other than a positive light. It might say more about their own feelings towards their town than anything the programme actually implied. The only part I didn't like was the horrible reminder of last winter!!!

I thought it was an brilliant, informative programme that showed Perth in an excellent light. The aerial photography was amazing and in light of recent events it made a change to see a positive account of somewhere. It was also interesting to think about the differences between a Town & a City. To me Perth is and always will be a Town.

Perth is lucky to still have a Theatre, a concert hall, an independent Dept store, a professional football club and a cinema. And these are part of the reason that make it a great, thriving place and despite what people think lots of people from elsewhere really do envy Perth.

We are Perth!!

I thought it was good. It was interesting to hear a totally neutral, well researched viewpoint about Perth even though I did disagree with his opinion about the City Hall. I felt he made a good case for remaining a town. Perth should be in the same category as the likes of Chester, York and Harrogate. The recycling was a bit left field though! Definitely could have put something else in place of that.

I certainly learned a bit more about our history and recent past. Good on BBC England for showing more about Perth in one hour than BBC Glasgow has in about 30 years. If that lot did a Scottish version of Town we'd probably get Largs, Paisley, Greenock, Hamilton and Coatbridge.

I feel the recycling part was good for seeing how a town/city can be run in other parts of the UK. Other areas may want to take the Perth model to there own town/city.

This went out to the whole of the UK. It showed our town in a good light. Hopefully some tourism comes out of it and with a possible city status to give us prominent inward investment in jobs and services.

If that lot did a Scottish version of Town we'd probably get Largs, Paisley, Greenock, Hamilton and Coatbridge.

You've more faith than me! I'd be fully expecting Cumbernauld, East Kilbride and Irvine.

Regards the recyling, he mentioned it's a higher percentage than a few big cities but where does it stand on a UK level? Maybe that figure is one of the best in the country and hence why they focused on it?

Agree with what appears to be most though that the programme was good and reflected well on Perth. Regards the City Hall, they need to find a use for it before they can even contemplate keeping it. There's no point in keeping a shell of a building that will just cost more and more to look after for no return.

I think if they'd gone ahead and knocked down the Woolworths building and the City Hall, it would have been for the better. Clearly the Woolies part isn't going to happen now.

how did you manage to view it from Greece? Singapore, I know somebody abroad that wanted to see it but cant via the bbc iplayer something to do with regions.

But agree with the majority, put Perth in a pretty positive light, bit strung out with all the aerial shots but they were enjoyable too.

"expatshield", PM if you need a link