New Manager Poll

The Inspiration

Who should the big man go for?  

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Harry Curran's Love child

Don't know about anyone else but I don't think I've ever seen so many candidates link with a job EVER. And despite being favourite now, I would have about 15 others before letting Bollan take charge. Looking at the poll, it seems we all agree!

I'm glad to hear it although I obviously didn't pick it up!

I'm sick of hearing about contacts. Overnight they've become the most crucial element for a manager and suddenly people know exactly how good someones contact list is. What a load of absolute tosh.

I'm pretty sure this is because it is the area of management that Del did us the biggest benefit in, by securing players that 99% of managers would never have dreamed of bringing to Saints. How on earth did we get Morris to sign a 2 year deal when we were favourites to go straight back to the 1st division? Duberry, Sandaza, Sheridan, Robertson on less than he was offered to stay at United, Frazer Wright (Dels top signing IMO) taking a pay cut. The list goes on and on. I think losing that ability worries the fans more than Dels tactical or man-management skills, although he did ok there too!!

But we have the league position to merit these players now. Making them play to their abilities will bring the on field success that justifies them staying and others wanting to be part of it. I think it is a good time for the priority to shift to on the pitch rather than on the signing front. Contacts are important in management, but Dels contacts were a luxury that we can continue to reap the rewards of.

I'm pretty sure this is because it is the area of management that Del did us the biggest benefit in, by securing players that 99% of managers would never have dreamed of bringing to Saints. How on earth did we get Morris to sign a 2 year deal when we were favourites to go straight back to the 1st division? Duberry, Sandaza, Sheridan, Robertson on less than he was offered to stay at United, Frazer Wright (Dels top signing IMO) taking a pay cut. The list goes on and on. I think losing that ability worries the fans more than Dels tactical or man-management skills, although he did ok there too!!

But we have the league position to merit these players now. Making them play to their abilities will bring the on field success that justifies them staying and others wanting to be part of it. I think it is a good time for the priority to shift to on the pitch rather than on the signing front. Contacts are important in management, but Dels contacts were a luxury that we can continue to reap the rewards of.

I think you're blurring the lines between contacts and managerial ability. From the players you list, the only immediate contact appears to be Jody from their time together at Millwall. Doobs would have been a Jody contact.

Robertson and Sandaza have the obvious Tannadice connection and Robertson may well have come for Del, but it could have been because of the greater chance of first team football, ironically, or even for the Doc. We don't know. Fran's time at United was after Del had left and he was struggling for a club.

What was the contact that brought Wright? If Del fancied him from seeing him play, spoke to him and convinced him to come to Saints, that's just a manager doing his job well and has nothing to do with contacts.

Which other players have definitely been brought to Saints because of Del and his contacts?

Coaching, tactics and man management have always been the main requirements of a manager. Appropriate contacts are an added benefit, especially nowadays with so many agents touting players we'd never have heard off and the mass tv coverage of games.

Of course it's great to be able to call someone you played with 15 years ago and get him here or the mate who's a manager in England that could let you have this cracking reserve player for 3 months. That's down to you and you alone. That's a contact.

You are probably right re. Wright, and I see what you are saying. Maybe I am blurring the lines, but I would call the fact that Del clearly demands great respect from everyone in the game, players and management, at every club he speaks to as contacts. A contact can be a guy down the road who everyone knows, but if he holds Del in higher esteem than other managers who offer more money,and that convinces him to come to Saints, then that is as important as knowing people from Milwall who no-one else in Scotland does.

You are probably right re. Wright, and I see what you are saying. Maybe I am blurring the lines, but I would call the fact that Del clearly demands great respect from everyone in the game, players and management, at every club he speaks to as contacts. A contact can be a guy down the road who everyone knows, but if he holds Del in higher esteem than other managers who offer more money,and that convinces him to come to Saints, then that is as important as knowing people from Milwall who no-one else in Scotland does.

Yes, I see what you mean. Let's agree on a bit of both!

One good thing about Del and his contacts is that he didn't turn us into a mini Ibrox. Much as our continued feeding off United grates I'd much rather have that than the blue bigots. Not using contacts is as important as using them.

FORMER Australia boss Graham Arnold has thrown his hat into the ring to be St Johnstone gaffer.

Saints will get a glowing recommendation of the Aussie from ex-Real Madrid, Chelsea and Russia boss Guus Hiddink.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3885107/Aussie-fancies-the-Saints-job.html#ixzz1bUUBqN00

We tend to stay off the merry go round as quoted above.

Please don't go for any of the dead wood floating about the SPL, ie Jeffries, Calderwood or Hughes, the thought of either of these getting the job fills me with dread.

Colin Miller or Nick Dasovic to have a fresh look at the Scottish game or someone young and forward looking like Colin Cameron.

If any of the dead wood are in the stand at Tannadice today I hope they are there to potentially watch United and not us.

Ok, the curved ball candidate has been hinted at elsewhere and when you think of it, it's amazing he's completely slipped slipped under everybody's radar as he is so obviously Geoff's ideal candidate...late 30's, intelligent, managerial rooky, ex-Dundee United, international, played at top level in Scotland and England, has actually played in the Championship this season, should have good contacts, no compensation to pay as he's clubless...sounds like a newspaper...:!:

Ok, the curved ball candidate has been hinted at elsewhere and when you think of it, it's amazing he's completely slipped slipped under everybody's radar as he is so obviously Geoff's ideal candidate...late 30's, intelligent, managerial rooky, ex-Dundee United, international, played at top level in Scotland and England, has actually played in the Championship this season, should have good contacts, no compensation to pay as he's clubless...sounds like a newspaper...:!:

I like that idea, was he not the scorer of the first Premier league goal at McDiarmid park.

I like that idea, was he not the scorer of the first Premier league goal at McDiarmid park.

I'd certainly not be adverse to him if Geoff chooses to go down that rout again. I'm still just amazed his name's never featured given his match for the ideal job spec.

His goal certainly holds a record but I thought it was an age related one. You may well be right though.

Guest Harry Curran's Love child

Argh! Can't think who it is!

Heard on radio Steve brown quoted as saying they have had over 40 applications starting to go over them from tomorrow. Still not sure who I fancy!

Suprised we have only got 40 so far, would of thought that we would of had a few more. It's a fantastic job, with a chairman that will back you and give you time!