New Manager Poll

The Inspiration

Who should the big man go for?  

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is micheal o neill ??

Shamrock Rovers Manager

O'Neill played as a midfielder or forward for Chimney Corner, Coleraine, Newcastle, Dundee United, Hibs, Coventry City, Aberdeen (on loan), Reading (on loan), Wigan, St Johnstone, Portland Timbers, Clydebank, Glentoran and Ayr United.

He made two appearances for Coleraine in the UEFA Cup and played three times for Glentoran in both the UEFA Cup and Champions League qualifiers.

At international level he played at U21, U23 and B level and played 33 games for Northern Ireland, scoring 7 times, including 2 in a 5-3 win over Austria, where he also hit the post and was desperately unlucky not to get a hat-trick.

[edit] Managing career

He began management as assistant at Cowdenbeath before becoming manager of Scottish side Brechin City in April 2006. He won the Second Division Manager of the Month award in both December 2007<sup id=cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup> and October 2008.<sup id=cite_ref-2" class="reference">[3]</sup>

[edit] Shamrock Rovers

O'Neill was released by Brechin City to join Shamrock Rovers on 13 December 2008.<sup id=cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4]</sup> He was awarded the Irish Soccer Writers Manager of the Month award for July 2009 and eventually guided The Hoops to second place in 2009 League of Ireland.

At the press conference when unveiled as Rovers manager, he cited Gordon Strachan as his main managerial influence.<sup id=cite_ref-4" class="reference">[5]</sup> In October 2010, he guided Shamrock Rovers to win the 2010 League of Ireland title, their first league championship since 1994.<sup id=cite_ref-5" class="reference">[6]</sup>

O'Neill led Rovers to the 2011 Setanta Sports Cup and then made history by being the first manager of a League of Ireland team to reach the group stages of a European competition.<sup id=cite_ref-partizan_6-0" class="reference">[7]</sup> Rovers defeated Partizan Belgrade in the play-off round of the 2011–12 UEFA Europa League.<sup id=cite_ref-partizan_6-1" class="reference">[7]</sup>

Edited by THE LARK SAINT

Who is micheal o neill ??

Former Northern Ireland international, played for Dundee United and Hibs up here in the nineties and had a spell as a player with us in 2000/01. Has taken Shamrock Rovers in the group stages of the Europa League.

Don't want to nail my colours to the mast too soon but both Michael O'Neill and the other man mentioned by templeofsaints, Colin Cameron, are interesting I think.

Very difficult decision. I didn't vote for any of the above, and at the moment would side towards Nick Dasovic. Thankfully, I don't think there's any danger of Geoff even considering old stagers like Jefferies or Calderwood; he clearly favours appointing young, hungry managers these days and I'd be amazed if that changes this time. I reckon it'll be someone none of us are expecting, as was pretty much the case with both Coyle and McInnes.

Guest Harry Curran's Love child
I'll bite. Who?

Colin Cameron - very impressive CV. Young, hungry, highly regarded and virtually a carbon copy of Del's career but bolster that with over 20 international caps and the fact he is already in management and leading the Blue Brazil at the top of their league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Cameron_(footballer)

Jim McIntyre - Decent CV. Experience in both Scotland and England. Already in management, took Dunfermline up and is also a close friend of Del from their time at Utd. If Del is having some say in who will succeed him, he may well be one of the names given to Geoff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_McIntyre_(footballer)

With respect to Alex Totten, it's clear Brown's three most successful appointments have been Sturrock, Coyle and McInnes. The situation we find ourselves in now is maybe slightly different but you'd have to question why he'd want to move away from that line of thinking. I can see why the temptation might be there to look for more experience with the squad we have and the situation we find ourselves in but this squad won't stick together forever and the new man is going to have to find replacements, so that's where this desire for good contacts in the game comes into play. I think in the long-term, the best appointment for the club is another young, articulate, ambitious manager that is well connected in the game. And it's an easy enough gig to sell when you look at Coyle in the Premier League and McInnes going down to The Championship on a contract for the next three or four years.

People should know themselves if the names they are suggesting fit the above criteria. If they don't, I'd probably be surprised if they were a serious contender for the job.

John McLelland, John Connoly. Maybe we better not appoint John McGlynn.

To be honest no-one on that list excites me all that much. I'd prefer if we continued the trend of going with some fresh blood than picking someone from the conveyor belt of journeyman managers though.

As much as I admire Sheerin I can't see him hanging up his boots early to come back to us, especially given the start Arbroath have made to the season.

I'd also hate to see him have a bad time of it and damage his club hero status.

As much as I admire Sheerin I can't see him hanging up his boots early to come back to us, especially given the start Arbroath have made to the season.

I'd also hate to see him have a bad time of it and damage his club hero status.

my mates in arbroath won't be too happy if sheerin left .hes got GOD status with the gayfield fans, never mind club hero status amongst us.

personally i think its too early to go for him just now..