New Manager Poll

The Inspiration

Who should the big man go for?  

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jody as assistant makes a career progression without the need to "grow up" just yet and can still be a mate to the team.

I just look at how hard Tony Docherty worked for the club, studying the opposition, working with our players, preparing dossiers etc... and just can't see that being the case with Jody Morris. He might make them some good playlists right enough.

Of course, there are numerous ways to manage a football club but a real work ethic and attention to detail goes a long way these days IMO. Like every sport, you are seeing more and more science and technology coming into things and I just don't see Morris being suited to the assistant role. If anything, I'd see him as more suited to being the manager, with a Tony Docherty type alongside him.

I think it's vital though that the manager gets to pick his own assistant and I'm sure he'll be allowed to. I'd actually rank who he wants as his assistant as pretty high on the list of priorities and would be checking out his credentials almost as much as the new top man. For someone like Nick Dasovic, that could be the most important question he has to answer.

I just look at how hard Tony Docherty worked for the club, studying the opposition, working with our players, preparing dossiers etc... and just can't see that being the case with Jody Morris. He might make them some good playlists right enough.

Of course, there are numerous ways to manage a football club but a real work ethic and attention to detail goes a long way these days IMO. Like every sport, you are seeing more and more science and technology coming into things and I just don't see Morris being suited to the assistant role. If anything, I'd see him as more suited to being the manager, with a Tony Docherty type alongside him.

I think it's vital though that the manager gets to pick his own assistant and I'm sure he'll be allowed to. I'd actually rank who he wants as his assistant as pretty high on the list of priorities and would be checking out his credentials almost as much as the new top man. For someone like Nick Dasovic, that could be the most important question he has to answer.

Agree with you about Morris - I've always thought he might suit some sort of newly created role where he gets to use his contacts to talk to potential signings and sweet-talk them into coming here. That certainly seems to be his strength, and it would be nice to see us take advantage of that - though it's something I feel we'll lose fairly soon if there's not some sort of senior role for him in the new regime.

On the point you raise about Dasovic, it's interesting to see him say on the STV site that if he got a job in the SPL he'd want a Scottish coaching team working with him.

Remember he is Croatian, and a Canadian immigrant. Speaks several languages fluently, and is currently in Germany coaching. That limits his contacts further.

I couldn't disagree with you more. He has played in Canada, France, Croatia, Sweden and Scotland...now coaching in Germany you say...is a very affable guy...speaks several languages fluently...I would suspect he would have a long list of contacts all over the place built up over the years. Absolutely ideal for bringing in fresh talent more cheaply than from the UK market.

Also, and I know this is obviously a minor priority at the moment, but he might be a decent coach too.

The more I think of it, the more appealing Dasovic becomes, even though I wouldn't like another all time favourite of mine to tarnish his image if it went wrong.

I couldn't disagree with you more. He has played in Canada, France, Croatia, Sweden and Scotland...now coaching in Germany you say...is a very affable guy...speaks several languages fluently...I would suspect he would have a long list of contacts all over the place built up over the years. Absolutely ideal for bringing in fresh talent more cheaply than from the UK market.

Also, and I know this is obviously a minor priority at the moment, but he might be a decent coach too.

The more I think of it, the more appealing Dasovic becomes, even though I wouldn't like another all time favourite of mine to tarnish his image if it went wrong.

My comment was 100% sarcasm because others were criticising his contacts. I have said he would be the ideal replacement for Del since day 1. I agree with everything you say.

I think him and Sheerin would be my dream team.

I would love to see Dasovic here so he's my pick. I loved him as a player and he seems to have fair bit of coaching experience. I have no idea if he'd be a success or not but I'd hope so.

As mentioned above and by Dasovic himself, he'd need to have a good assistant with recent experience of our game.

With all the countless names being thrown around this topic (which is all part of the fun), I'd like to see Sir Alex Ferguson take the helm.

1. He's an ex player (which seems to be a popular credential)

2. He's well respected - WSTBAPC

3. Contacts worldwide - WSTBAPC and then some!!!

4. Has his coaching badge - WSTBAPC

5. Great attention to detail - WSTBAPC

6. Good man management - WSTBAPC

ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC

Scottish, successful, a winner. He could run the club part time while keeping his 'other' job. Think of all the loan deals he could bring our way from Manchester?????

My comment was 100% sarcasm because others were criticising his contacts. I have said he would be the ideal replacement for Del since day 1. I agree with everything you say.

I think him and Sheerin would be my dream team.

I'm glad to hear it although I obviously didn't pick it up!

I'm sick of hearing about contacts. Overnight they've become the most crucial element for a manager and suddenly people know exactly how good someones contact list is. What a load of absolute tosh.