If the season ticket was reduced....

Dr Christmas Jones

There is no other choice. We are already becoming a laughing stock in the league due to embarrassing attendances. We are lucky enough to have no debt and a positive cash reserve and good sellable assets, this is the best time to take some risks.

Hardly Dundee-esque as we are not paying huge amounts of money for players or on wages. We are talking about pushin the boat out for one of te best player to play for saints in recent times. We are talking about taking drastic measures to entice fans back into mcdiarmid park so that we actually have a decent, competitive team to support.

Cutting prices and pushing the boat out? Not Dundee esque? What did they do then? Granted it was on a much bigger scale but the principle is the same. I go back to one of my points, what if this doesn't work?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walk in price times 19 less a percentage. Mainstand discount for early bird prices was 21% whilst East stand was 26% and 23% for adults and oap respectively. Adult and child price for the East had a discount of 37%.

And the walk in prices? My point here is that the club obvioulsy do something around the setting of prices and unlike most of this they dont pick a figures from fresh air.

Why not try £50 season tickets till the end of season and see how many we sell then we can gauge on numbers from there,

However when i have had season tickets going spare for a game lateley i have not been able to give them away ,

Also as said before have a free game and open the gates and let them come and see what numbers we could acheive for letting in free then we can see how many can actually be arsed to go for nothing never mind a cheaper deal, i think we would be dissapointed by the turnout. :sad:

Cutting prices and pushing the boat out? Not Dundee esque? What did they do then? Granted it was on a much bigger scale but the principle is the same. I go back to one of my points, what if this doesn't work?

Did Dundee cut their prices? Dundee have always had a much larger fan base than us, and they probably always will. Something drastic needs to happen in Perth for fans to come back to watch Saints. We have money, why not invest it in ways which will expand the fan base? Best case scenario we will see crowds grow an recoup the initial investment through greater income from attendances as long as we continue to live within our means. Worst case scenario is that we do not see any change in attendance figures and we lose our money, but at least the club tried something to address the problems.

I disagree that it's the same principle. We have an amount of money that is doing nothing other than sitting in a bank collecting interest. If the money is invested in an asset such as Sandaza, arguably one of the best players in our recent history, then it could potentially yield a greater return on that money. We aren't exactly spunking away money that we don't have, which is what Dundee did.

Think it's fantasy land unfortunately if folk think the club are going to sell season tickets for £100. That'd be giving up the season ticket revenue from twelve of the nineteen matches current East Stand season ticket holders pay for! Right enough, that'd probably cover all the ones not on a Saturday afternoon though!

In saying that, I think if the club were going to offer vastly reduced season tickets, it could only work on the basis you paid your deposit and if they got a certain number of sales, everyone got them for that price. If not you could get your money back or pay the price they would have been set at. Would folk go for that though? Not sure.

Also, did the club not mail all past season ticket holders this summer? Certainly had heard they were planning to do that. Do agree with the point though that the opinions that really matter on this are of those that used to have a season ticket/go to games and not those that are still attending every week.

And the walk in prices? My point here is that the club obvioulsy do something around the setting of prices and unlike most of this they dont pick a figures from fresh air.

I think our walk in prices are based on the standard price that the SFA have set. If 2 teams playing in a cup tie cannot agree on a price then the standard prices set by the SFA are used as per our match v Hearts last season.

Another option:

.......................How about selling 5 year season tickets at much reduced rates.

Start a Saints Membership scheme. Free programme on display of membership and access to xmas party tickets or whatever.... every club has a members scheme for the punters who are between season ticket and pay at gates.

I've posted on the Huddersfield town fb page with a link to the wap site and asked for any info on the £100 season ticket deal and how it affected the club,good points and bad.Dont know if anyone will post anything but its worth a try to get some more info.

I can see why some people are sceptical but we did used to get full houses not that long ago.Why cant we again or get damn near it.Its a huge risk but if you pull it off could be so beneficial in the long run for the club.I mean two clubs in England tried it and got near full houses,would we????

First of all, I certainly would but a season ticket, even at £150.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly is the marketing. Marketing in the whole of scottish football is dire - it needs to move with the times and desperate times call for desperate measures.

The lack of town centre precence is one problem that does need to be addressed and direct marketing is the way forward. This means meeting people face to face, selling tickets, explaining what going on.

It has been proved over in the states what direct marketing can do in baseball. Clubs suffering poor attendances got a direct sales firm on board and suddenly they were getting full houses. Now they have taken a slight hit on gate money but they got more than that back on associated income (food, souvenirs etc...).

Now I dont suggest Saints can afford a marketing company to do this - but what are the clubs biggest asset??? Its US, the fans. Why cant the club use us to drum up support, sell tickets directly to neighbours etc... The problem is people take a look at the weather on a Saturday and think "na I'll give it a miss". If they had already bought a ticket, they would go.

while i would love to be wrong i honestly believe you wouldnt get 6000 perth people at mcd with free admission sorry doc

I'm afraid I share this opinion. Would love the club to come out with the number of season ticket holders we have so we could get some accurate figures.

Radford's idea about paying the cost on a sliding scale vs the number of people signing up to the season ticket is the only risk free solution for the club.

Personally if the club came out and asked for a £100 deposit for a season ticket and said:

If we get 6000 season ticket holders you will pay no more:

If we get 5000 season ticket holders you will pay £25 more.

If we get 4000 season ticket holders you will pay £75 more.

If we get 3000 season ticket holders you will pay £125 more.

If we get 2000 season ticket holders you will pay £185 more.

then I suspect most people would sign up in a flash. Would also be great to see them put a counter on the website drumming up interest.

This is completely flawed... Why on earth would the club do this.

If we get 6000 season ticket holders you will pay no more: (£600000 for club)

If we get 5000 season ticket holders you will pay £25 more. (£625000 for club)

If we get 4000 season ticket holders you will pay £75 more. (£700000 for club)

If we get 3000 season ticket holders you will pay £125 more. (£675000 for club)

If we get 2000 season ticket holders you will pay £185 more. (£570000 for club)

I love the ideas being brought up here, but a sense of reality may be required to see things from the clubs point of view.

This is completely flawed... Why on earth would the club do this.

If we get 6000 season ticket holders you will pay no more: (£600000 for club)

If we get 5000 season ticket holders you will pay £25 more. (£625000 for club)

If we get 4000 season ticket holders you will pay £75 more. (£700000 for club)

If we get 3000 season ticket holders you will pay £125 more. (£675000 for club)

If we get 2000 season ticket holders you will pay £185 more. (£570000 for club)

I love the ideas being brought up here, but a sense of reality may be required to see things from the clubs point of view.

Obviously I didnt have time to play around with the figures but the general idea would be that the club would have a guaranteed amount of income (at a level around current season ticket sales).

Say:

If we get 5000 season ticket holders you will pay £14 more.

If we get 4000 season ticket holders you will pay £42.50 more.

If we get 3000 season ticket holders you will pay £90 more.

Edited by Broon

I'm afraid I share this opinion. Would love the club to come out with the number of season ticket holders we have so we could get some accurate figures.

Radford's idea about paying the cost on a sliding scale vs the number of people signing up to the season ticket is the only risk free solution for the club.

Personally if the club came out and asked for a £100 deposit for a season ticket and said:

If we get 5000 season ticket holders you will pay £25 more.

If we get 4000 season ticket holders you will pay £75 more.

If we get 3000 season ticket holders you will pay £125 more.

then I suspect most people would sign up in a flash. Would also be great to see them put a counter on the website drumming up interest.

Figures need juggled so club raises more cash for the larger number of fans but this is definitely the idea.

One more season ticket sold here.

Obviously I didnt have time to play around with the figures but the general idea would be that the club would have a guaranteed amount of income (at a level around current season ticket sales).

Say:

If we get 5000 season ticket holders you will pay £14 more.

If we get 4000 season ticket holders you will pay £42.50 more.

If we get 3000 season ticket holders you will pay £90 more.

But surely the whole idea is for the club to make more money? why have 3x the number of fans, but the same income. The club needs to bring in more money. No point in being busy fools....

But surely the whole idea is for the club to make more money? why have 3x the number of fans, but the same income. The club needs to bring in more money. No point in being busy fools....

Because they are trying to re-establish a fan base. This is for one season only - they will be hoping that the following season a good % of people renew at a higher rate and we've readdressed the slide. If this was to be the pricing structure year on year then of course they would have to adjust it to make more money. We're not a non-profit organisation after all.

Taking the catering in house with 3x the people would.see a huge rise in income. You need the people in to start with for that to happen.

3x the attendances would lead to 3x the amount of people talking about St Johnstone. This can only be a good thing.

But will it pay for the extra stewards and policing costs? Will it pay for the players that we will need to help our European campaign? The club is a business, and has to be run as one. It is not a subsidised charity.

Taking the catering in house with 3x the people would.see a huge rise in income. You need the people in to start with for that to happen.

Say this was possible, and half the extra 4000 fans spent £3.50 each, this is only an extra £7k a game (minus costs, staff etc etc) Probably the same profit as getting an extra 200 fans through the gates.

Surely you can see something pretty radical needs done? Attendances are nosediving. We must be haemorrhaging money hand over fist.

Even the clubs decent form isn't helping so something new must be tried. It has worked at other clubs so I can't see why it wouldn't work as long as it was promoted well.