The Big Turkey Travel Thread

soulfulsaint

Ibb wont play in olimpic stadium coz there is renuvation there but still it will be very boring to play with them. Looks like we defo join to EL instead of besiktas otherwise why uefa controls our home ground!?

I cant wait for final decision then we will start to talk about players and new transfers also i will go to eskisehir on 18th from istanbul and i would to travel with Saints fan, looking forward to find someone

I am booked to travel wednesday-friday. Staying Wednesday night in Istanbul, will decide where I'm staying Thursday night when we know where we are playing. I'll be the one with the bemused Welsh workmate who still doesn't know what the hell he agreed to come along for!

i think we will play %99 in eskisehir at our homeground. i got some news.

today uefa inspected eskisehir ataturk stadium and said that the stadium meets the required criterias to play EL qualification second round.

if besiktas appeal fails, you will play with us at our homeground. one of the uncertainty things is not exist any more :)

acoording to the uefa:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2013/accesslist/index.html

N4: Qualification round 2

N3: Qualification round 3

CW: Play Off round

and

currently CW is bursa, n3 is trabzon, n4 is eses

if besiktas wins the case CW is bursa, n3 is trabzon n4 is besiktas

if besiktas wins the case but uefa kicks fenerbahce out CW is bursa n3 is besiktas, n4 is eses

if besiktas loose the case and uefa kicks fenerbahce out CW is bursa, n3 is eses, n4 is ibb

thats the all situation. %25 ibb, %25 besiktas, %50 eskisehir. fortunately ibb and besiktas are istanbul teams, and to arrive eskisehir you should land in istanbul first. anyway in all cases you should land to istanbul, then play in istanbul or go to eses will be decided according to the uefa decision.

Edited by u1076652

For the Turkish posters:

4 of us are flying to Antalya. Is our best way to fly to Ankara, get a 30 minute bus to city centre then 30 minute bus to Sincan and then 1 hour train to Eses?

What other options are there? Can we get a bus from Antalya to another town/city and get a train to Eses? How long would be reasonable for driving if we hire a car (google maps says 7 hours)?

Thanks for your help!

For the Turkish posters:

4 of us are flying to Antalya. Is our best way to fly to Ankara, get a 30 minute bus to city centre then 30 minute bus to Sincan and then 1 hour train to Eses?

What other options are there? Can we get a bus from Antalya to another town/city and get a train to Eses? How long would be reasonable for driving if we hire a car (google maps says 7 hours)?

Thanks for your help!

There are buses from Antalya central bus station to Eskisehir, and in the summer period they are very frequent. you can check the websites for kamil koc and ismail ayaz for the schedules. I guess there are more bus companies for Antalya - Eskisehir but these two are the first ones that I can think of.

I (like everybody) have no idea who or where we are playing :confused:

The club have no idea about ticketing (not their fault) :confused:

but I thought b*ll*cks so I've just booked a week in Istanbul with the OH and will play it by ear on what happens next - are there any other Saintees in the same position? - meet up etc..................

PS - Thanks to all the Turkish lads who have been on the site with valuable info.

3 saintees flying to Istanbul International 17th July at 12.40 from Edinburgh with Turkish Airlines, oot for a week coming hame on the 23rd

Any other saintees on this flight, also happy to meet up and organise transport (minibus?) from Istanbul to wherever we go.

3 saintees flying to Istanbul International 17th July at 12.40 from Edinburgh with Turkish Airlines, oot for a week coming hame on the 23rd

Any other saintees on this flight, also happy to meet up and organise transport (minibus?) from Istanbul to wherever we go.

I am also flying out on the 17th (but from Luton) so can definitely meet up...........

I lived and worked in Turkey (South East Anatolia) in my days as an Oil and Gas man. Been on holidays to Istanbul, Ankara, Izmit, Izmir, Kas, Kalkan, Antalya, Bodrum/Gumbet, Antalya, Kusadasi, Marmaris, Pamukkale, Olu Deniz.

When working I was based in Diyarbakir, and our prospects were in places like Mardin, Midyat, Cizre, Batman. That was a really wild frontier in those days and quite exciting. Rather than take the spare dynamite back to the store after the day's shooting we'd chuck it in the river Tigris, set it off and scoop up some fresh fish (a fish is "bollock" in Turkish, not joking). Once we got a Nile Perch about 120lbs and nearly drowned wrestling it out of the water. In Diyarbakir, in the old walled part of the city, there was a cathouse which was officially run, soldiers at the gates would take your passport for safe keeping. They had pink or blue raffle tickets that you bought in a book. 150TL and 300TL (50p and £1) respectively. The blue one got you laid and the pink anything but. You walked round this village with wee houses and the girls sitting in the front room with the doors and windies open. You see one you like, hand the mama your ticket and go through the back. All of the girls were like "certified" but many of us chose not to take part, just to walk round and goggle at the spectacle. One greedy clart Graham somebody used to "multi" but he was from Dundee so I suppose that's understandable. Another Algerian guy Hamid used to drive four hours there and back after his 12hr shift. As our camp moved further and further away poor old Hamid looked more and more dead on his feet after his midnight run.

There is one constant thing about everywhere I've been in Turkey - the warmth and friendliness of the local people. They all reach out to you and if holidaying will go an extra mile to make your trip special. I've been taken into peoples homes and served local food, drunk tea in black tents with nomad goat herders, eaten salty cheese from a handkerchief with shepherds I've met in the middle of nowhere, and drunk myself sober on Efes and Raki while playing guitar in one of the most raucous boozers you'll ever experience.

All of that keeps me coming back time and again. The few Turkish phrases I picked up are slowly coming back into memory and I am really looking forward to the trip to Eskisehir (where I've never been).

The Turks are great people and that's what it's all about.

Edited by babychunder

I (like everybody) have no idea who or where we are playing :confused:

The club have no idea about ticketing (not their fault) :confused:

but I thought b*ll*cks so I've just booked a week in Istanbul with the OH and will play it by ear on what happens next - are there any other Saintees in the same position? - meet up etc..................

PS - Thanks to all the Turkish lads who have been on the site with valuable info.

Same here mate. Im flying into Istanbul on the 18th from Hong Kong and my Dad from Edinburgh (via Shipol) - from there we'll head to where ever Uefa decide we need to be!

Really pleased we were drawn against a Turkish side - the atmosphere at the games over there looks immense.

I lived and worked in Turkey (South East Anatolia) in my days as an Oil and Gas man. Been on holidays to Istanbul, Ankara, Izmit, Izmir, Kas, Kalkan, Antalya, Bodrum/Gumbet, Antalya, Kusadasi, Marmaris, Pamukkale, Olu Deniz.

When working I was based in Diyarbakir, and our prospects were in places like Mardin, Midyat, Cizre, Batman. That was a really wild frontier in those days and quite exciting. Rather than take the spare dynamite back to the store after the day's shooting we'd chuck it in the river Tigris and scoop up some fresh fish (called bollocks in Turkey, not joking). Once we got a Nile Perch about 120lbs and nearly drowned wrestling it out of the water.

There is one constant thing about everywhere I've been in Turkey - the warmth and friendliness of the local people. They all reach out to you and if holidaying will go an extra mile to make your trip special. I've been taken into peoples homes and served local food, drunk tea in black tents with nomad goat herders, eaten salty cheese from a handkerchief with shepherds I've met in the middle of nowhere, and drunk myself sober on Efes and Raki while playing guitar in one of the most raucous boozers you'll ever experience.

All of that keeps me coming back time and again. The few Turkish phrases I picked up are slowly coming back into memory and I am really looking forward to the trip to Eskisehir (where I've never been).

The Turks are great people and that's what it's all about.

Sounds great babychunder (what a name!) - I've heard similar things from friends who have been to the region and cant wait to experience it for myself.

Booked up last night, leaving Manchester on Wednesday 06:00 to istanbul.

Really is a joke the lack of information from the club on this issue. There should be a statement with a list of possible opposition so that people could at least make loose plans or could look at place sof possible note. Also a bit of information as to when we will find out would be nice

Really is a joke the lack of information from the club on this issue. There should be a statement with a list of possible opposition so that people could at least make loose plans or could look at place sof possible note. Also a bit of information as to when we will find out would be nice

You going via Schiphol? If so, see you in the Irish bar !

From OS 27.06.12...

"St Johnstone Football Club have been advised that the Court of Arbitration for Sport procedure regarding the appeal by Besiktas is likely to run until 9th July.It will therefore be the 9th July or possibly 10th July before we definitely know which Turkish team we will be playing.

Keep watching our website for updates."

From OS 25.06.12...

"St Johnstone have drawn Turkish side Eskisehirspor in the second qualifying round of the Europa League competition.

The tie, however, is subject to confirmation as another Turkish side, Besiktas - who have been banned by UEFA from European competition due to financial issues - have lodged an appeal with Court of Arbitration for Sport.

We hope to be able to confirm our opponents within the next few days but it will clearly be a Turkish side.

The 1st leg will be in Turkey on 19th July with the return leg at McDiarmid Park on 26th July.

The Club apologises for the delay in posting this information while as much clarification as possible was sought."

Our flight arrives at 3pm at ataturk istanbul airport on the wednesday, anyone elses flight arrive around that time so we can plan for transport to eSeS or bursa, or any other team uefa deems fit for us to play? Stop over in munich for us so a few beer steins in germany for us early bells!

Our flight arrives at 3pm at ataturk istanbul airport on the wednesday, anyone elses flight arrive around that time so we can plan for transport to eSeS or bursa, or any other team uefa deems fit for us to play? Stop over in munich for us so a few beer steins in germany for us early bells!

6 Edinburgh Saints are arriving at same time.

Are you stopping at Amsterdam on the way? do you leave Edinburgh at 6am?