Sportsters Closed Down?

Jobby

Speaking to a few people last night and it seems most of the staff weren't told until 8pm on Wednesday, when the place closed for the last time for several months. Now most are out of a job and got a pittance in severance pay. The guys we spoke to were pretty raging!

Apparently its closing for a full on refurb, so hopefully they'll make it a good place to watch football, which as I've said on many threads recently, is totally absent in town just now. The food menu just before it shut was pretty good as stated above so hopefully they maintain that standard!

I would be raging as well if I were them. A quick Google says they are recruiting now for an "exciting new re development". I'm no expert on employment law but I doubt you can tell folk they're being made redundant when it's clear they are not. They should all take the company to a tribunal. The very least they should get is their old jobs back when it reopens.

I would be raging as well if I were them. A quick Google says they are recruiting now for an "exciting new re development". I'm no expert on employment law but I doubt you can tell folk they're being made redundant when it's clear they are not. They should all take the company to a tribunal. The very least they should get is their old jobs back when it reopens.

No doubt they have super sharp legal people. Of course when recruiting, they can pick and choose who they want back, anyone who rocked the boat, etc, won't get back.

Suspect they are yet another company doing the quite lucrative prepack bankruptcy move.

Shameful, as it is usually the treasury that loses out, plus any small local creditoris.

Suspect they are yet another company doing the quite lucrative prepack bankruptcy move.

Shameful, as it is usually the treasury that loses out, plus any small local creditoris.

In this case I Don't think so. Sportsters are owned by the G1 Leisure Group who also own The Playhouse Cinema and The Bothy. The place needed a refurb but it is crap the way they have gone about it. On the other hand, the people who owned CLG (Sportsters old owners), put the whole company into admin 18 odd months ago and then bought back large parts of it.

In this case I Don't think so. Sportsters are owned by the G1 Leisure Group who also own The Playhouse Cinema and The Bothy. The place needed a refurb but it is crap the way they have gone about it. On the other hand, the people who owned CLG (Sportsters old owners), put the whole company into admin 18 odd months ago and then bought back large parts of it.

so do the newco own the "history" of Sportsters? Sticky floors and an adunbance of teenage slags. is the kind of reputation many of perth pubs would love to have, but due to financial constraints, couldnt probably hope to offer

I was in there with me bro before the Dundee game and it was empty.

I was also in there with the wife and heard a rather heated discussion between who I only presume the current manager and the head boss maybe, talking about what they were going to be doing to the place for refurbishment and how it would happen and how long they would be closed for.

Didn't seem to be positive but someone was not happy at the timescales that were given and not the rumour of folk being told to heave ho and find a new job for the refurbishment?!?! If I were in that position I'd be seeking advice on employment law for the rights as an employee.

Here's hoping they do something decent to it as Perth's nightlife now is crap.

Becoming more common nowadays.

Think some legal eagles really need to challenge this route of sacking.

given the service level, its a wonder most of the staff werent given their jotters a long time ago.

hiding behind employmnt law is no excuse for someone being incompetant. thats usually a pre requiste for working for the council ;)

given the service level, its a wonder most of the staff werent given their jotters a long time ago.

hiding behind employmnt law is no excuse for someone being incompetant. thats usually a pre requiste for working for the council ;)

I think you meant employed by the council.