SCOTLAND!!

SlickDT

This topic seems to come up again and again, but I have to admit if Swansea or any other team rumoured to want Jason offered a decent amount then I would take it without hesitation.

Some games he just has no interest at all. The amount of times he will run towards a ball and make no effort to go in for a 50/50 or make a half-hearted attempt to win a header is unbelievable.

People say that he should be let off due to his ability, but I disagree. Look at the example of Henry, Zola, etc. All were/are world-class players with ten times more ability than Scotland, but they showed an amazing amount of fight and bottle, when losing the ball, etc.

I know many will disagree, but as soon as a team (eg-dundee on sat) get the better of him, he doesn't want to know!

This is one that i am unsure about(Sitting on the fence is you will) you are totally correct that he does not seem to be interested in the game for 85 mins but he will show a couple of sparks and get a goal, with the goals he has got this season we really could do with keeping him till the end of this season.

If a decent cash offer comes in for Scotland, of course we should take it, and of course we will. But, for me, this "effort" stuff has nothing to do with it. Football fans in Scotland often seem to be so obsessed with effort that it reaches the point where no other attribute seems to even get acknowledged. Scotland's workrate probably isn't the best in the team, but he adds value in other areas through his ability to show a bit of spark and produce those single moments of magic that can be the difference between a draw and a victory. Sure, I wouldn't want a team of 11 Jason Scotlands, but I wouldn't want a team of 11 workhorses with no imagination either.

Before we signed Scotland, people used to moan that we had no flair players. Now that we have him, people moan that he's "lazy", purely because he doesn't chase every single ball, and regardless of anything else he does. The same was true of Sylla before him, and Jenkinson before him, and probably countless others in our history too. A lot of people are just never happy.

I want Scotland to be in our team for as long as possible, but when all's said and done we're a selling club and would be crazy to stand in the way of a decent cash bid, only to let the guy to walk away for nothing a few momths later. Of course, the ideal solution would be to get Scotland to sign a new deal - but I think we all realise that that's probably quite unlikely.

We should only sell him if we can sign someone better than him with the cash- don't know who fits the bill there.

He's not the type of player to go chasing around the pitch, I'd rather see him hold back a bit rather than risk injury going flying in to tackle some big heffer of a defender.

But, for me, this "effort" stuff has nothing to do with it. Football fans in Scotland often seem to be so obsessed with effort that it reaches the point where no other attribute seems to even get acknowledged.

I do not doubt that Scotland has ability, but IMO, that does not mean he can have a lower work-rate. It is possible for a player to possess both skill and work hard for his team. Even the worlds best attacking players are expected to pressure defenders and atleast attempt to go in for 50/50's, etc. Look at the likes of Henry and Rooney, I have seen them run the length of the pitch to win back a ball thay have lost.

Have to disagree, believe there are players that would miss more than Scotland.

He is the one player we have that offers something different, provides a bit of spark and can get a goal out of nothing. He also scores consistently and must have a decent assist rate. Who could we sign that would offer us this on a regular basis? We are unlikely to be able to afford Henry or Rooney who you have cited as examples of hard working forward players.

He had a poor game on Saturday, there is no doubt about that. This does not mean we should forget the numerous good games he has had.

If we didn't have Jason Scotland I fully believe we would be nothing more than an average first division team. I'm sorry but that guy is the difference between us and every other team in the league, there is not one player in the 1st Division who can change a game like he can.

Also, I reckon if you had a wee look at all of our goals this season, he would probably be involved in some capacity in at least 80%.

And another point, I hope to god he never reads this forum. Talk about not appreciating a guys talents? The Dundee Utd fans loved him, it just seems most fans on here slate him.

I would be surprised if he signed another contract with us and quite frankly who could blame him?

I do not doubt that Scotland has ability, but IMO, that does not mean he can have a lower work-rate. It is possible for a player to possess both skill and work hard for his team. Even the worlds best attacking players are expected to pressure defenders and atleast attempt to go in for 50/50's, etc. Look at the likes of Henry and Rooney, I have seen them run the length of the pitch to win back a ball thay have lost.

...but it's a fact of life that different players have different attributes, particularly at this level where, realistically, you're never going to get a great all-rounder. To be honest I don't even think Scotland's workrate is all that bad - just because he doesn't demonstrate the crowd-pleasing headless-chicken act preferred by many fans' favourites in Scotland, doesn't mean he's not trying. He just plays the game in a different way - and you need different players to bring different things to the team if you want to be successful.

It's fine citing guys like Henry and Rooney, but the fact is they're not Scottish First Division players for a reason. Just because Scotland is probably our star player, doesn't mean it's fair to compare him to the rest of the world - he's always going to come up short if you do that. A fairer comparison would be Scotland with Milne: Milne has the sort of running-all-over-the-place attitude that 99% of Scottish football fans absolutely love, but is he any more productive as a striker? Personally, I don't think so - and his goalscoring rate certainly isn't as good as Scotland's in the time that both players have been here.

Perhaps the fact they have differing styles is beneficial to the team, and that's why we were not so hot on saturday... Milne didn't have the energy to be his usual self... affecting Scotlands performance also.

Is it wrong to like both :?

Definitely not - I agree with you. It is good to have players who have differing styles - that's pretty much the point I was making.

I find it puzzling that this thread exists.

He has skill,pace and is strong on the ball.Considering the kicking he gets most weeks in this league ,I would describe him, as a committed and brave player.

In my opinion his workrate is good and has improved since last year.My only criticism is that he doesn't tackle but the good FAR outweighs the negatives.

Another big plus is that he is rarely injured.

I find it puzzling that this thread exists.

He has skill,pace and is strong on the ball.Considering the kicking he gets most weeks in this league ,I would describe him, as a committed and brave player.

In my opinion his workrate is good and has improved since last year.My only criticism is that he doesn't tackle but the good FAR outweighs the negatives.

Another big plus is that he is rarely injured.

Like Muzz, this guy has completely won me over this season - I think he has upped his workrate slightly, but not to the extent he leaves himself too knackered to do anything useful.

He still has the occasional awful game, like saturday, but who on here doesn't have off days at work?

By the way, how many decent balls did he get on saturday?

And another point, I hope to god he never reads this forum. Talk about not appreciating a guys talents? The Dundee Utd fans loved him, it just seems most fans on here slate him.

I would be surprised if he signed another contract with us and quite frankly who could blame him?

Couldnt agree more broon.

I am shocked this is even being talked about. He has brought a bit of excitment to the team, and a good bit of publictiy too, but most of all the guy is an excellent striker. In 47 games he has scored 25 goals for us. How the hell can anyone call that lazy. The longer he stays at saints the better.

Myself and most saints fans love you Jason. As Broon says, i hope to hell he never reads this forum.

Agree he brings something to the team that would be missed.

Also agree that he can seem to be not trying too hard at times but when he does it matters.

But his contract is up at the end of the season and I have no doubt he will be going elsewhere at that time regardless of whether we are in the SPL or not. In that case why should we not be looking to get some money for him before his contract runs out. Rather than let him go for nothing at the end of the season.

I'd rather he walked away for nothing with us in the SPL than us have £50,000 and be stuck in Division One.

The SPL is worth so much financially to this club, I can't see any team stumping up enough cash to entice us to sell him. You are talking six figures before Geoff even gets out of bed to reject the offer! :wink:

I agree with you.

Owen Coyle won't agree to let Jason go unless we are offered something absolutely ridiculous for him. I'd sooner, as you say, miss out on £50,000 and let him walk for nothing at the end of the season, than sell him. He is worth far more to this team than £50,000 and I'd go as far as to say we won't win this league without his input. He'd be impossible to replace mid-way through the season.

He's our best player by quite some way.