Saints vs Gretna 14/10/06

SaintSam1884

Game took a wee while to get going but when it did, it was Saints in the ascendency and we really should have been ahead at the break. We missed quite a few headers from crosses so it was always going to be the way that Gretna took the lead through a cross into the box, McGuffie with a near enough free header from about six yards.

For once, Saints didn't give up though and back at them we went and deservedly drew level when Stanic played a fantastic ball off the outside of his foot to Jason, who cut inside and fed Sheerin to score. We then took the lead when Stanic skinned Grady and sent over a deep cross which Hardie buried.

We were always looking the better side but Gretna scored an unstoppable equaliser when their young sub was given too much space by Goran and their number 6 blasted into the top corner.

They then took the lead when Simon deliberately handled a cross. I think Deuchar would've scored if he hadn't and he probably should have been sent off. McGuffie sent Bryn the wrong way from the spot.

Saints didn't give up though and after Sheerin played in McLaren, Savo side footed against the bar before in the final seconds, Sheerin touched a free-kick to Jason and with the ball heading for the fruit anf veg isle at Tesco, the ball took a deflection and eluded Alan Main, who remains a legend!

Really pleased with the way we played today, if not the result.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end a draw was prob` the right result especially with Gretna being bold enough to put 3 up front afteer going a goal down. I don`t know if Gretna pushed us back or we sat back at 2-1 but we had plenty attacking chances & a few free kicks & never put anyone in the box with Sheridan taking short free kicks & losing possesion.

Don`t know why Mensing put his hand to ball as he was not under any great pressure although I thought he got a bit of a push but that is what you expect in defence.

Halliwell has still to convince me he is a good goalie as he did not look sure what he was doing & never came off his line. Mensing was mainly annonomous & Lawrie was his usual self.

Still we fought back & prevented them going 3 points ahead of us.

What an emotional roller-coaster that was today, a game of chances and missed chances for both teams.....

Thought Saints played well enough to get the win but, at the end, a draw was probably fair. First ime I have seen Saints with three at the front though, superb action and Jason should go home more often if he plays like that afterwards!!

Mensing's handball, not sure about that as it should have been a straight red for denying a scoring chance but he got nothing, which indicates that referee Underhill must have thought it accidental so why the penalty??

From now on, Underhill will be called Frodo, as thay was what he called himself in the Lord of the Rings :lol:

With being 2-1 up i really thought they were there for the taking and we were gonna do it - however their second goal was a gift and their 3rd was a clear penalty obviously.

I think the determination and spirit we showed to come back into it on two occasions is a credit to the players on the park today - Gretna aren't the team they are made out to be by the media. But maybe, just maybe Mr Rowan "W@nker" Alexander will realise that Saints have a few more players than Kevin James and Jason Scotland! :roll:

I admire the fire in the belly that Mensing, Sheerin and Hardie have. Hardie geeing on the crowd today (and not the first time he has done it this season!) shows the belief the players have IMO and the fans should believe in them too.

Halliwell was a tad shaky for my liking today - but Alan Main showed him how to do it in style with his over head kick clearance! :lol:

Unlucky to Paul "Timmmmmmmmy" Lawson too, he was gutted how his first start for his big club ended but hopefully it's not to bad - felt sorry for him when i looked at the dugout celebrations and everyone else has their hands up in the air cheering and applauding and he's trying hard to do the same without moving his arm! :lol:

Well done lads, keep it up - we'll get there even though things are bcoming incredibly tight at the top!!

Gretna werent very good but at times neither were we. They seemed bigger than us and we looked a wee bit fragile at the back. When Halliwell comes for crosses he looks ok - should do it more often. 2 headers they had inside the 6 yard box - both times the keeper should be taking them.

On the whole though we played some nice stuff with several players playing very well. Stanic, Scotland, Milne, Anderson, Sheerin and Mensing (apart from the hand ball). A game we should have won but could easily have lost. Draw was therefore fair.

Cracking advert for the 1st Division today and we easily deserved at least a point against a side that are cynical in the extreme (constant fouls on Jason, Skelton's dives and Grady's late kicks).

Plenty of good performances from Saints today but we lacked the cutting edge early on and took a while to get going. Thought it was a real sucker punch for their first goal (and rank marking on that side of the park), their 2nd was just as poor as we stood off them and the penalty was again idiotic (anyone else see Mensing get a bollocking from OC as he was subbed?).

On the plus side we could have scored a lot more - the shot off the bar late on would have gone in 9 times out of 10 and given the lack of training over the last couple of weeks for the likes of Sheridan, Savo, McLaren etc we still looked better than the league leaders for the most part.

Been a pretty good season so far really......

Good game in which I thought we played well and worked hard. Jasons obvisouly been boot shopping in the US of A as the boots he had on havent even been announced in the UK yet!

The 'fans' who booded Mensing off are nothing less than a flipping disgrace. I'm also sick to the teeth of these auld muppets who come to games to sit and do nothing but sit and moan about each and everything that happens. One arse bandit believed that 'Saints fans are a disgrace to be applauding an opposition goalkeeper', and that he(Main) ' is nothing other than a big headed, arrogant shite'. How can Lawrie get any better if you only shout to tell the rest of the team 'not to pass it to that muppet'? Arses. The lot of them.

The 'fans' who booded Mensing off are nothing less than a flipping disgrace. I'm also sick to the teeth of these auld muppets who come to games to sit and do nothing but sit and moan about each and everything that happens. One arse bandit believed that 'Saints fans are a disgrace to be applauding an opposition goalkeeper', and that he(Main) ' is nothing other than a big headed, arrogant shite'. How can Lawrie get any better if you only shout to tell the rest of the team 'not to pass it to that muppet'? Arses. The lot of them.

I thought the booing was for Owen taking Mensing off as he's one of our best players? I folk were booing Simon then that's a disgrace, he made an error... big deal, he's been brilliant this season.

Main is a legend, I'll applaud him every time he comes to Perth and every time we play a team he's in.

Folk have already made up their mind on Andy Lawrie. Unfortunately for him, I think he'll always have fans on his case. I thought he did fine today though, put in some excellent crosses.

First quarter and still unbeaten,but can't help feeling we should be at least 8 points better off!Good end to end stuff yesterday,they were superb at breaking from our corners,every time Main had the ball,4 or 5 of them sprinted forward,something our lack of pace in midfield prevents us from doing.Don't think we have anything to fear in this league,just a case of turning our superiority in to wins more often.

I haven't had time to read all of the other comments on the game, but as it was the first match I've been to for a couple of months I just thought I'd throw in my thoughts.

For me, we look a very unbalanced team at the moment. I felt that way as soon as I heard what the line-up was, and I saw nothing in the performance to change my opinion. I'm no fan of 3-5-2, but last season when we switched to that system it brought about some flowing football and dramatic improvements throughout the team, mainly because it suited the bulk of our players. This season, we seem to have lost a bit of that. OC has half a team who prefer 3-5-2, but has brought in others who fit better into 4-4-2, and as a result we now don't look like we'd be 100% suited to either formation. I really feel that, by now, OC should have decided on his preferred system and built a team to fit into it, but in a way it seems the opposite is happening.

Also, we have real problems down the right hand side, and I can't understand why it hasn't been addressed by now. Why did we spend a substantial fee on a left winger, when it's a right winger we need? This isn't a criticism of McLaren - I haven't seen enough of him to say whether he's a good player or not - but I really do question whether or not we actually need him. Down the right we have nothing but players being experimented with out of position, plus a right-back who has surely now had time to settle in (has also been given a chance in two different systems) but, for me, just isn't good enough for Saints.

Moans aside though, I thought we showed great character in the game to come back (even although we should never ever have been behind, or even in danger of going behind, in the first place - Gretna are pretty poor). Anderson was excellent again, Milne had a really good game when he came on, and The Wizard is a genius. A big disappointment for me, though, is the way Stanic's role has diminished since the switch to 4-4-2. Is it just me, or are we shamefully wasting his talents? In the last Saints game I was at before Saturday, he was put on left wing and the guy was absolutely sublime. I'd love to see him put there on a regular basis.

(Springer's) Final Thought - if we don't win the league this season, our players should all be put in a sack and beaten with sticks. This league is there for the taking, and our team is more than good enough. All we seem to need is a little more cohesion, and a little more belief, and we could walk it. Take care of yourselves, and each other.

Agree with a lot of that BH. I think the personel are more suited to 3 5 2. Goran is wasted at left back & does get caut out as full back. Lawrie is no good as a full back & only slightly better as wing back.2 of the goals in saturday came from left wing with Lawrie posted missing on both occasions. We have nothing on the right at all attacking wise & feel we would be better with Mensing at full back & Stevenson right-mid. We also have the option of Dyer at left back with Goran pushing forward.