Wayne Rooney

Nuggets

Guest The Great Paddy Buckley

Although I like Roy Hodgson and recognise there are some really talented players in this squad, I can just picture how this is going to go. For all the skill and attacking flair of Rooney, Sturridge and Sterling, I am just waiting for them not to turn up and plan B being put in place towards the end of game two which will involve desperately hoofing the long ball to Ricky Lambert. I hope I am wrong. PB

If you where the current England Manager, would you have selected the above player for the coming world cup?

I would not.

Haha nuggs! I really wish you were Englands manager, who would you take??

Rooney has the ability to be a standout at the world cup an when he is in the mood to be a team player he is brilliant, a centre forward who can play out wide an possibly centre mid... I woild love Rooney as a footballer to be Scottish!

I think Rooney is still a very good player, but I always believe a manager should pick his international team based on the system he wants to play.

4-2-3-1 is the formation in favour by Hodgson and I believe speed is vitally important for England, especially against the ageing defence of Italy and Uruguay. His wingers, am and striker should play with directness and pace- looking to break quickly. England don't have the ability to try to play possession based football against superior technical sides.

Rooney is slower than Lallana, Barkley, Sterling, Wellbeck and Chamberlain so wouldn't make it into my three behind the striker.

That leaves a simple choice Sturride or Rooney for me and I think Sturridge would get the nod in my side.

While England can't really afford to drop any player with Rooneys ability or record I just don't think it would benefit the formation for him to play. A 4-4-2 yes, but not 4-2-3-1.

I suspect Hodgson May bottle it and try Rooney on the left or in the hole.

Engurland were shite last night. That Ecuador no 7 (Moreno?) looked a class act and he took the piss out of Milner and co.

Lampard's too fat old and slow. Rooney never performs for them. They have a squad of dodgy goalies, daft laddies not experienced enough, hasbeens like Gerard, and two centre halfs who look like they'd no get a game for Jeanfield.

You're my hero Woy, can't wait for the tournament to begin and see you crucified by the press!

Engurland were shite last night. That Ecuador no 7 (Moreno?) looked a class act and he took the piss out of Milner and co.

Lampard's too fat old and slow. Rooney never performs for them. They have a squad of dodgy goalies, daft laddies not experienced enough, hasbeens like Gerard, and two centre halfs who look like they'd no get a game for Jeanfield.

You're my hero Woy, can't wait for the tournament to begin and see you crucified by the press!

Spot on.

I actually cannae wait, the media never learn. England are a mediocre team with a few good players... Not world class. There defence is a shambles, midfield are ok an a few good attackers in Rooney, Sturridge n Sterling. I honestly cant see them beating the Tallies an Uruguay! Id be suprised if they got passed the 2nd round.

Spot on.

I actually cannae wait, the media never learn. England are a mediocre team with a few good players... Not world class. There defence is a shambles, midfield are ok an a few good attackers in Rooney, Sturridge n Sterling. I honestly cant see them beating the Tallies an Uruguay! Id be suprised if they got passed the 2nd round.

In all fairness, I haven't seen the English media talk the England team up very much this time. Even the most blindly positive pundits seem resigned to the fact that this England team isn't going to do very well. Perhaps that'll actually help them this time around.

I hope that wasn't the first choice back four for Ecuador. Some strikes for both the second goals.

Ecuador have a fairly decent world cup record.

Do they?  Never really heard them mentioned much in World Cups before tbh.

The flag of St George is starting to flutter down here. Not like previous campaigns but they are increasing in numbers. I feel a bit of optimism around not over confidence this time. I get a feeling that England might, given the rub of the green, might just do quite well but thats as far as I will go to wish them well. Semi finals, out on penaltys, Rooney misses the vital kick.