Where Did You Go Under Age Drinking In Perth.

AthensSaint

I used to have a version of my birth certificate that was in German.....even though numbers are the same, I rememeber on various occasions being asked for proof of age when going into Electric Whispers.....I would confidently hand over my birth certificate, and watch the look of confusion cross the face of the doorman before he handed me it back and told me to go in

i used to have a US driving licence which was very handy when you got pulled for speeding in the UK. polis knew theyd never get a conviction and basically waved you off. likewise otherside of the atlantic, flash the british licence and say , yes ill turn up for court in 28 days time.....

The Carousel at the Playhouse (was 14yrs 8months ffs!!!) went wi Shane my mate from school had 5 pints and spewed on bedroom carpet and played next day for Tulloch u-16s and thought I was Pele

The High Level (good jukie in corner)

The Red Web when Garry Stagg would dj and play our punk singles we took doon

St Albans for the Punk bands...Saturday dinnertimes!! 

The Red Web ended when I used to see one of the barmaids at the white bridge going to the college on my way to school!!! was gutted as she refused next time we went but served my mates,, no that I'm bitter ;)

the Gowrie up stairs    early seventies  police would come up sometimes on Friday and Saturday nights     then to the Cellar downstairs  then across to the Sally  to hear the Emeralds   was never asked my age   we would send the oldest guy to the bar and the rest of us would hide in a dark corner  

The only place I ever drank  underage in Perth was the Railway Club on St Leonards Bank and that was the week before my 18th birthday. I was on one of my, then, infrequent visits to Perth to visit my folks and my dad said he would take me for a pint (I think he bribed the barman so that  he would serve me).

All my underage drinking was done in  Peebles or the occasional day out in Edinburgh ( doing Rose Street was similar to doing The Perth Mile except a lot less walking)

When I  left school in 1976 I went to work at Lochearnhead Hotel and prior to the new licencing laws coming in March? 1977 I was legally allowed to drink in the bar because that was my registered home address as I lived in.

I'm a new member to the Forum but have been following it for a fair time - some great threads.

My first under age drink was in the Railway Buffet at the Station. Being the oldest looking I went to the bar and asked for 3 pints of Beer (what a ------ fill in the blank) When asked what beer, I pointed to a tap and was then served with 3 pints of Guinness - what an introduction to drinking.

Anyway we got better at it and our main venue was the Vic - in the front room as it had a jukebox! Can't remember the name of the woman behind the bar - we are talking 1966-68 - anyone remember?

I'm a new member to the Forum but have been following it for a fair time - some great threads.

My first under age drink was in the Railway Buffet at the Station. Being the oldest looking I went to the bar and asked for 3 pints of Beer (what a ------ fill in the blank) When asked what beer, I pointed to a tap and was then served with 3 pints of Guinness - what an introduction to drinking.

Anyway we got better at it and our main venue was the Vic - in the front room as it had a jukebox! Can't remember the name of the woman behind the bar - we are talking 1966-68 - anyone remember?

Around 68 it could have been Sandra Blair long dark hair and really good looking, Welcome to the forum Rottenegg we dont all bite

My mother worked at the Vic up until about 1963'ish.

Pity I never had the chance to meet her,as I went to the Moncrieffe, Tuesdays, Thursdays (after training as the changing rooms were in Sth. William St.) and sometimes on a Saturday if we played on the Sth. Inch.

It was very difficult at that time to book a pitch, due to the number of Amateur and Juvenile teams in existence.

Thanks Sixties Saintee.

Yes I do remember a a very nice looking barmaid so that could well be Sandra but the one I'm thinking of would have been quite a bit older than Sandra.

Would her name have been Molly, Speaking to a guy who used to drink in the Vic guy called Bill Duff, you will find him on Perthshire Memories or I grew up in perth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...