Still A Chance Of Europe?

saint-johns-toun

The club coefficients include a national element. We could qualify for Europe year after year, and unless we did stupidly well, would still have a coefficient lower than a club qualifying for Europe for the first time from England, Germsny etc.

That's right. I remember, was it Wigan, a new to Europe English team being allocated a coefficient of 17 or something. No sense nonsense.

It is already confirmed that IF we get into Europe, we will be seeded in round 1, but not seeded in round 2. The minimum coefficient required to be seeded in round 2 will be 6.275 and Saints are 6.080.

Is it not that 6.275 guarantees you seeding at this point in time? The more relevant part for us is the other figure on his table, which shows the coefficient that guarantees being unseeded, which we are still above?

I could be wrong though.

Is it not that 6.275 guarantees you seeding at this point in time? The more relevant part for us is the other figure on his table, which shows the coefficient that guarantees being unseeded, which we are still above?

I could be wrong though.

Fair play to you, you're right as of today - it is still arithmetically possible for Saints to be seeded in round 2, but the chances are really small! There are six seeded places still to be filled. We already know that at least three teams entering at round 2 stage (Vojvodina, Spartak Trnava :evil:  and Hafnarfjardar) have higher coefficients than us - so Saints would be fighting to get one of the other three seeded places.

Two of these places are likely to be taken this weekend if (a) Sturm Graz get a better result than Rheindorf Altach (Graz are at home on Sunday against a mid-table side, whilst Altach are away at relegated Wiener Neustadt) (B) Mlada Boleslav fail to better the result of Marila Pribram (Boleslav are at home on Saturday against a mid-table team, whilst little-known Pribram are away against league leaders Viktoria Plzen, who need a point to win the league).

That would leave just one place available and we'd be dependent on results going our way in Poland and Bulgaria over the next three weeks (and ICT winning on Saturday of course!) ....

Fair play to you, you're right as of today - it is still arithmetically possible for Saints to be seeded in round 2, but the chances are really small! There are six seeded places still to be filled. We already know that at least three teams entering at round 2 stage (Vojvodina, Spartak Trnava :evil: and Hafnarfjardar) have higher coefficients than us - so Saints would be fighting to get one of the other three seeded places.

Two of these places are likely to be taken this weekend if (a) Sturm Graz get a better result than Rheindorf Altach (Graz are at home on Sunday against a mid-table side, whilst Altach are away at relegated Wiener Neustadt) (B) Mlada Boleslav fail to better the result of Marila Pribram (Boleslav are at home on Saturday against a mid-table team, whilst little-known Pribram are away against league leaders Viktoria Plzen, who need a point to win the league).

That would leave just one place available and we'd be dependent on results going our way in Poland and Bulgaria over the next three weeks (and ICT winning on Saturday of course!) ....

Fantastic post.

The seeding might depend too on how other results go in round 1. If we qualify and won our round one ties, that would push up not only our club but country co-efficient. If any other scottish clubs win through that round help us too. Might not help with round 2 seeding as I think both rounds have been drawn at the same time, but would help round 3 if we a) qualify and B) got that far. I'd assume too that a few seeded teams would be knocked out in rounds 1 and 2.

The whole seeding thing has been a downfall of scottish clubs for years. We have quite a big rotation of qualifying teams compared to other countries, so individual clubs don't build up much of an individual coefficient.

If Scottish clubs just all got a round or two further each year we'd have a lot more seeded teams and it would get easier for all scottish teams each year.

All only relative or of interest to us so long as our friends in the north do the business over Falkirk on Saturday.

The seeding might depend too on how other results go in round 1. If we qualify and won our round one ties, that would push up not only our club but country co-efficient. If any other scottish clubs win through that round help us too. Might not help with round 2 seeding as I think both rounds have been drawn at the same time, but would help round 3 if we a) qualify and B) got that far. I'd assume too that a few seeded teams would be knocked out in rounds 1 and 2.

The whole seeding thing has been a downfall of scottish clubs for years. We have quite a big rotation of qualifying teams compared to other countries, so individual clubs don't build up much of an individual coefficient.

If Scottish clubs just all got a round or two further each year we'd have a lot more seeded teams and it would get easier for all scottish teams each year.

All only relative or of interest to us so long as our friends in the north do the business over Falkirk on Saturday.

'Fraid not -  the club coefficients don't change round by round, only from year to year. So success in the early stages of the Europa League in 2015 would not result in a higher club coefficient until this time next year.

Your penultimate sentence is right, though.

'Fraid not -  the club coefficients don't change round by round, only from year to year. So success in the early stages of the Europa League in 2015 would not result in a higher club coefficient until this time next year.

Your penultimate sentence is right, though.

Don't think this is right Percy ? if an unseeded team beats a seeded team in round 1 do they not assume the coefficient of the seeded team they beat ie when we beat Rosenborg did we not obtain their coefficient and hence become a seeded team for the next round?

Don't think this is right Percy ? if an unseeded team beats a seeded team in round 1 do they not assume the coefficient of the seeded team they beat ie when we beat Rosenborg did we not obtain their coefficient and hence become a seeded team for the next round?

No, we effectively took their seeding for the next tie. Draw was made before the second leg so would have been drawn Rosenberg/StJ (seeded) v Minsk/Whoever (unseeded)

Was that not us going from second round to third? This time we are in first, and I think first and second rounds are drawn together.

Aha think that's right as we've yet to enter in round 1. so this plus Duncs comment makes sense. Anyhoo if ICT do us a favour and the draw is kind would be nice to get Liverpool or West Ham in round 2 - not exactly exotic locations but what a blast!

When I was a student in Aberdeen, we queued all night to get tickets as neutrals for the European Cup match against Liverpool. Dreadful, dreadful game of football, and Aberdeen (quite sort of St Johnstonish at the time) got humped over the two legs. But a great experience nonetheless.

Funny reading you guys reports on the state of pittodrie these days - back then, it was all shiny bright and new, the most modern stadium in the UK.

When I was a student in Aberdeen, we queued all night to get tickets as neutrals for the European Cup match against Liverpool. Dreadful, dreadful game of football, and Aberdeen (quite sort of St Johnstonish at the time) got humped over the two legs. But a great experience nonetheless.

Funny reading you guys reports on the state of pittodrie these days - back then, it was all shiny bright and new, the most modern stadium in the UK.

It sure is a tip - and your showin your age! West Ham would be nice - remember (just) the game with them at Muirton. think it was the official "opening" of the floodlights. Bobby Moore was playing and they brought along the European Cup Winners Cup to show it off.

My student days coincided with the Fergie era (almost all of it, as my student days were somewhat extended to to a difference of opinion between me and the University authorities on the issue of turning up for classes, which they apparently regarded as being of some importance). We'd nae money to travel to watch our own teams - we adopted Aberdeen for the duration, but hopped over to the away end when our teams came to town (and invariably got utterly humped). It was £1.50 as a student to get in! Saw all the big Europe games. Saw some truely amazing football - that was an astonishing team.

But it means so, so much more to watch your OWN team in Europe and cup finals.

Mon the Caley!

Guy's, guy's, guy's. 

Please, don't temp fate.

Let's wait until after 5 pm on Saturday. Some here are talking like we've already qualified for Europe. .

Just remember, "the last thing you want comes in first, the first thing you want never comes" ! 

We haven't ! hopefully we will though !

:cool: