IRN BRU CUP

HOODLUM65

Guest ScottMann

It's utterly ridiculous this is allowed but as it is I'd go with Clark and Midge mainly for game time but having a wise old head like Chris controlling things on field would help the kids no end.

All in support of the young Saints lads, but I can't stand what they're trying to do here with this competition and make it an opportunity to force colt teams up against lower league sides.

I would hate it even more if we were a championship side, and I won't go to any matches in this Cup as we shouldn't be in it.

I do like the introduction of the Welsh/ Irish/ N Irish sides though, if you're a team from outwith the premiership in Scotland, it gives an opportunity for a brilliant away trip which you would never usually experience.

Unfortunate to be drawn against another premier side in this round, but would rather our u20s gained experience in THIS competition than fielding our 1st team.

C.o.y.s.

Yes, I know the rules say it's the premier teams colts that should play.

Edited by HOODLUM65

It's largely a new group in any case but a first chance for me to have a look at the U20s in a while tonight and was pretty encouraged with what I saw. Was struck by the difference in size between the two sides (especially if you took Gilchrist and Hendry out) and it looked like it might be hard for Saints early on but they started playing some football and in my humble opinion were the better footballing side on show and deserved more from the game.

Aberdeen's team contained 8 players born in or before 1998, Saints had just 3 in their side, yet we created the better chances and the Dons' main, arguably only, threat came on the counter attack, the method they scored from. The only goal of the game was a bad one to lose as it stemmed from our own corner and there were a couple of individual errors in there but it was good run by Frank Ross.

As is often the case, the more attacking players maybe draw your eye and liked the look of O'Reilly and Docherty, who played either side of Callum Hendry, who will be disappointed with a couple of early efforts he dragged wide. He played well too though and looks to have good feet. Both full backs were combative despite not being the biggest lads.

Hard to know how the season will go with such a young squad but promising signs that they can compete so well with an older Aberdeen team that always do well in the Development League.

It's largely a new group in any case but a first chance for me to have a look at the U20s in a while tonight and was pretty encouraged with what I saw. Was struck by the difference in size between the two sides (especially if you took Gilchrist and Hendry out) and it looked like it might be hard for Saints early on but they started playing some football and in my humble opinion were the better footballing side on show and deserved more from the game.

Aberdeen's team contained 8 players born in or before 1998, Saints had just 3 in their side, yet we created the better chances and the Dons' main, arguably only, threat came on the counter attack, the method they scored from. The only goal of the game was a bad one to lose as it stemmed from our own corner and there were a couple of individual errors in there but it was good run by Frank Ross.

As is often the case, the more attacking players maybe draw your eye and liked the look of O'Reilly and Docherty, who played either side of Callum Hendry, who will be disappointed with a couple of early efforts he dragged wide. He played well too though and looks to have good feet. Both full backs were combative despite not being the biggest lads.

Hard to know how the season will go with such a young squad but promising signs that they can compete so well with an older Aberdeen team that always do well in the Development League.

A very accurate summary.

As you say it was disappointing to lose a goal from our corner kick, against the run of play.

As the ball was cleared wide left, the lad Ross was shoulder charged by our small full back, in an attempt to get to the ball first. Unfortunately the bigger lad stayed on his feet and got to the ball first and closed in on goal to pick his spot.

Although they played some nice football on the deck, they will have to learn that punting high balls against taller opponents ain't gonna work.

Hendry I think will be a success, his close control in tight situations created the two early chances of the game, the first where he turned his marker three times, only to screw his effort past the far post.

His second effort followed a similar route.

Note. Back chatting the Ref. will end in a booking.