Dundee United v Saints Saturday 9th January - Tayside Derby

R.B.B:- Adz

I’m going to break the apathetic trend of starting match threads on the day of the game since it’s a Derby.

I can’t see Callum changing the shape, system or personnel so you’d imagine Kerr will come back in and Rooney will be a straight swap for McNamara. The deadly Chris Kane to continue up top and the “big asset” (Nicholson, E. 2021) Zander Clark to continue in goals.

Hopefully he resists the temptation to tinker too much but on the other hand I’d quite like him to rip it all up and just finally decide on his best 11 for this one and stick with it for a month or so. Best 11 imho:

Parish

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney                             Tanser

McCann   Craig 

O’Halloran             Wotherspoon

May

Clark, Brown, Booth, Davidson, Bryson, Conway, Kane, Melamed, Hendry, Robertson

United appear to have a few injury worries of their own, Fuchs, McNulty, Edwards and Butcher all set to miss out.

Finally, to finish on a bright note, the bookies have made us firm favourite for this one @ 5/4, with a an unexpected 2/1 available for Dundee United - what is it they say about the bookies very rarely getting it wrong?

53 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I’m going to break the apathetic trend of starting match threads on the day of the game since it’s a Derby.

I can’t see Callum changing the shape, system or personnel so you’d imagine Kerr will come back in and Rooney will be a straight swap for McNamara. The deadly Chris Kane to continue up top and the “big asset” (Nicholson, E. 2021) Zander Clark to continue in goals.

Hopefully he resists the temptation to tinker too much but on the other hand I’d quite like him to rip it all up and just finally decide on his best 11 for this one and stick with it for a month or so. Best 11 imho:

Parish

Kerr Gordon McCart

McCann   Craig 

May

United appear to have a few injury worries of their own, Fuchs, McNulty, Edwards and Butcher all set to miss out.

Finally, to finish on a bright note, the bookies have made us firm favourite for this one @ 5/4, with a an unexpected 2/1 available for Dundee United - what is it they say about the bookies very rarely getting it wrong?

No chance he will drop Zander 

1 hour ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Could CD throw a spanner in the works and start Brown?

He has certainly been bigging him up in articles 

That would be a big slap in the kisser for Guy!Or would it?Would he throw a double six and start him too??

Playing a middle-aged bloke is a bit desperate, even if he is the Chairman.

Edited by Abernethy Saint

If Kerr in isolation and Brown not match sharp he will play MOH as right wing back.

If either are fit I would play the same formation we played away to Hibs. We are better going for it rather playing not to lose which is difficult when we cannot keep a clean sheet. 

Clark

Kerr       Gordon     McCart

Rooney                                               Tanser

McCann             Craig

O'Halloran

May              Melamed

11 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Parish

Kerr Gordon McCart

McCann   Craig 

May

I really hope you're wrong. I don't know how much more I can take of watching us line-up in this awful, toothless formation.

I'd also be very surprised if he drops Clark now, after the saves he made in the Ross County game. I think it would be very harsh to drop Booth too.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I really hope you're wrong. I don't know how much more I can take of watching us line-up in this awful, toothless formation.

I'd also be very surprised if he drops Clark now, after the saves he made in the Ross County game. I think it would be very harsh to drop Booth too.

I know, I agree but he can’t keep chopping and changing, it’s killing us. He needs to be brave, choose the 11 that he thinks will keep us up, and stick with it as best as possible.

Incidentally, that is not the team I think we will go with, it’s my idea of what he should do..

FWIW I think he will fling Brown straight in:

Clark

Rooney Gordon McCart

Brown                                   Booth

Think you’d agree that this isn’t the back 6 that we would want to play the next 10-15 games for us in a bid to stay in the division so why bother going with it now, was my point.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

10 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I know, I agree but he can’t keep chopping and changing, it’s killing us. He needs to be brave, choose the 11 that he thinks will keep us up, and stick with it as best as possible.

I wouldn't want wholesale changes every week, and of late CD's selections have seemed a bit random/desperate/confused to me, but at the same time I don't have a problem with more of a horses-for-courses approach. I think McInnes and Wright both used to adapt their line-ups and tactics to suit who and where we were playing, and it was generally successful. My worry with Davidson is that he's sticking to a system that isn't working, in the seemingly blind hope that it will eventually come good. I don't really have an issue with us playing a back three as I think it's worked OK, but I think he really needs to change the set-up at the other end of the park. I'd like to see him start with either May and Hendry through the middle (because I think they work well together) or May and Melamed (purely to give Melamed a chance).

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

No MOH this week which is disapointing.

We really need to tighten things up at the back this week and try and get an early goal.

I can see Craig and Tanser back in the line up and Kane and May starting up front.

Desperate for a win this week.

How would you line up? Drop Booth or move him in to centre back?

8 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

How would you line up? Drop Booth or move him in to centre back?

You were reading my mind; yes definitely push booth back in to the middle. He's been pretty steady since he's came back in to the side and assuming Kerr wont feature this would be a sensible move.

3 hours ago, SaintJet said:

You were reading my mind; yes definitely push booth back in to the middle. He's been pretty steady since he's came back in to the side and assuming Kerr wont feature this would be a sensible move.

Are you sure? That would mean something like:

Clark

Gordon McCart Booth

Rooney                            Tanser

That gives me the fear!!!

On 1/6/2021 at 10:23 AM, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Incidentally, that is not the team I think we will go with, it’s my idea of what he should do..

FWIW I think he will fling Brown straight in:

Clark

Rooney Gordon McCart

Brown                                   Booth

Think you’d agree that this isn’t the back 6 that we would want to play the next 10-15 games for us in a bid to stay in the division so why bother going with it now, was my point.

Brown will not come up from virus ridden London & go straight into the team.

I would have thought it would be better if he spent a few days isolating before meeting his team mates.