Consultation on draconian laws for users of football supporter buses!

garydavidson

Utter nonsense.

Imagine organising a supporters bus to Dingwall and having to contact the Police to ask if its ok to pick up a few more supporters in Bankfoot or Pitlochry. Fancy making a day out of it? Sorry, we are not allowed to be in Dingwall until 1pm at the very earliest. A few pints before the match? Nope sorry you will need to have a three course meal with that. How about going to a pub after the game for an hour? Nope sorry, you need to leave Dingwall by 5.30pm.

32 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

Utter nonsense.

Imagine organising a supporters bus to Dingwall and having to contact the Police to ask if its ok to pick up a few more supporters in Bankfoot or Pitlochry. Fancy making a day out of it? Sorry, we are not allowed to be in Dingwall until 1pm at the very earliest. A few pints before the match? Nope sorry you will need to have a three course meal with that. How about going to a pub after the game for an hour? Nope sorry, you need to leave Dingwall by 5.30pm.

It even includes Highland and Lowland league games!!! People with absolutely no idea of the geography of the country. 

So, these are *voluntary* guidelines - there is no indication of what happens if a bus company chooses not to sign up to these. Or what are the consequences if a bus company signs up to these but then doesn't comply.

But given that these guidelines are already in place in England and Wales, and this is just about making it consistent across the UK, you would think that there would be plenty that could be learned from down South. I have to be honest - I have never heard any complaints about these guidelines before.

3 hours ago, Dooj said:

I have never heard any complaints about these guidelines before.

That makes it far from okay though. It’s not a fair comparison either, as police attitudes to football fans down South are completely different to that of up here. We’re criminalised enough already. 

A joint statement issued on behalf of the Scottish FA, Scottish Professional Football League, and Scottish Women’s Premier League said: “There's no evidence that this is a significant problem in Scottish football. We are concerned by the targeted nature of these proposals which serve to demonise football fans and interfere unnecessarily in people’s lives. 

“In Scotland, there are already appropriate powers held by PHV operators, Police Scotland and other partners to deal effectively with a very small number of incidents by a minority of fans.

“The consultation itself notes that the majority of football fans are law-abiding and do not cause any disturbances when travelling to or from games, yet these proposals would unfairly affect the vast majority of football fans who travel safely and respectfully to and from matches on a weekly basis.

“We don’t support these unnecessary and heavy-handed proposals and we will be making our views clear in the consultation.”

I don't really get what problem they're trying to solve. Has there been a particular issue with trouble on supporters buses lately? I'd have thought any instances of trouble must be really low in relation to how many fans travel around the country on these buses every week. In my experience these journeys are completely non-eventful.

If anything, I've seen way more football fans making arses of themselves on trains, and that actually affects the general public who aren't going to games.

27 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I don't really get what problem they're trying to solve. Has there been a particular issue with trouble on supporters buses lately? I'd have thought any instances of trouble must be really low in relation to how many fans travel around the country on these buses every week. In my experience these journeys are completely non-eventful.

If anything, I've seen way more football fans making arses of themselves on trains, and that actually affects the general public who aren't going to games.

From the reading of it they want to expand the laws of England and Wales into Scotland so they are the same. The fact they have included the Highland and Lowland leagues, never mind leagues 1 and 2 shows they are completely out of touch with the population and geography of Scotland. 

As you mentioned though I can't see what problem there is to solve - no bus organiser or pub owner is going to be stupid enough to book or let a bus load of away fans into a pub full of home fans if there is the likelihood of trouble. In Scotland we would be talking a handful of teams or a couple of destinations at most! 

5 hours ago, garydavidson said:

From the reading of it they want to expand the laws of England and Wales into Scotland so they are the same. The fact they have included the Highland and Lowland leagues, never mind leagues 1 and 2 shows they are completely out of touch with the population and geography of Scotland. 

Exactly, WM aim to reduce powers at Holyrood to keep Scotland as part of a corrupt UK

A controversial plan to shake-up how football supporters' buses operate in Scotland has been shelved.

The Traffic Commissioners for Great Britain unveiled plans for new guidelines on what the supporters' buses can do on match days.

This included any pub stops only being allowed at premises which serve a "substantial meal" with alcohol bought.

The move was widely criticised and the senior commissioner has now halted work on the proposed guidelines.

In a statement, Richard Turfitt, the Senior Traffic Commissioner for Great Britain, which regulates bus travel across Britain, said he had "listened to the strength of feeling expressed".

He added: "It is clear to me that there is further work required to understand the full impact of the introduction of any proposed guidance in Scotland".

Mr Turfitt said he had asked his officials to cease a public consultation exercise on the guidelines while his organisation takes stock.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66753478