VAR V St.Johnstone

SaintJet

I see the latest report from the Scotland's referee VAR Chief - Crawford Allan, ( there is contradiction if ever there was one ) highlights that despite a major rise in wrong decisions, VAR is adding to the value and entertainment of our game. Incuded in these statistics was the decision to chalk off Carey's goal against the sheep. Ha, who knew?

I hate VAR, it's bad enough playing against a bad referee but almost impossible playing against two. 

I started this thread so we can keep an eye on some glaring errors that have cost us crucial points this season. Hope everyone can chip in with incidents from home and away games.

The penalty given against us on Sunday playing Dundee still annoys the hell out of me and was definitely a game changing decision.

Of course all these gripes are subjective so please agree or disagree when someone raises an example.

If nothing else it will give us something else to disagree about.

13 wrong decisions but they focus on Celtic/Rangers penalty.

Allan says we are no worse than other countries. I doubt it.

I don't think they mentioned anything after 27th January so there is 3 of ours to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

For once VAR went for us on Saturday but not where it mattered.

The other contentious decision was for Gavin Duncan VAR ref to recommend a red card for last man when there were 2 men covering.

Fair dues to Willie Collum for not just going with VAR as refs usually do.

Clark claimed for a hand ball and it only took them seconds for bad to dismiss it.

two sportscene pundits said it should have been a pen. Saints may not have gone on to win but it adds to the points that would have made us save and maybe propelled us to top 6.

The amount of wrong VAR decisions at the weekend was just ridiculous .

VAR is not the problem though it is the VAR referees. 

it was meant to stop clear and obvious mistakes. It is not , it is being re refersee by guys in a studio with 4 monitors and at least 2 so called referees watching multiple angles and slow mo.

referees usual go with VAR ref as they are usually senior to the guys on the pitch.

Collum is the only ref to go against VAR. but then Willie is never wrong .

Was there something happen in an old firm game with VAR as there is an awful lot of discussion about it🥵 It’s taken until the first week of March for Celtic to get a couple of bad decisions against them. Now everything is wrong with VAR. We could have told them that in the first week of August. 

The consistent inconsistency of these hand ball decisions is frustrating. We can all chuckle at yesterday as it's Celtic but it's getting silly (Unless you're Hearts who seem to be on the right side of the decisions)

What concerns me more is what seems to be refs being more reluctant to make on field decisions and almost treating VAR as a backup.

Yesterday ref gave a yellow for a high boot. Despite either him or his assistant having a clear view, VAR stepped in. I'd like to know just what the ref saw that forced him to change his mind and more importantly what VAR thought the obvious error was. A yellow is not what I'd think was an obvious error....not exactly a clear red.

But more worrying was not stopping the game for a headknock. Did that come from an unconscious feeling that someone else will stop the game...despite it being the ref's responsibility.

Var was to cut out things like Henry's hand ball or basically any hibs striker diving in the box but it's going too far I feel. Not fun.

8 hours ago, Stumpy1949 said:

Was there something happen in an old firm game with VAR as there is an awful lot of discussion about it🥵 

Hopefully there'll be a gigantic VAR c*ck-up in the final Old Firm game of the season and it costs one of them the title. That's the best chance we have of something actually being done about this mess.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Hopefully there'll be a gigantic VAR c*ck-up in the final Old Firm game of the season and it costs one of them the title. That's the best chance we have of something actually being done about this mess.

If anything that'll just make it worse.

Theres currently a Celtic account who pores over every decision in every game either plays and puts up multi-angle replays of it, then whips up a frenzy against the particular ref that day.

Its no wonder referees are desperate for help (which VAR in their theory is) when they know any minor wrong decision will see them be hounded no matter where they go after it.

• 1 month later...

SFA require new head of refereeing to improve VAR. They also require him/her to have experience of VAR. This means it has to be a referee. Who of the existing bunch would you expect to ruffle the feathers of their pals.

So surely it has to be UK/foreign referee.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:15 PM, garydavidson said:

I still feel the rules are the major problem, the handball and offside decisions are ludicrous because the law is an ass.

Until there is clarity on what is a handball and until we stop giving offside by a toenail the game is a goner with VAR.

These are laws of the game and there is always discretion, and on the same logic they will apply law based on "intent" for handball and attempt to make offside a strict call, though that does get messy with "interfering with play" calls.

I personally feel there needs to be death squads going round shooting any one who talks about "regulation time" and "playing the quarter back role" etc - commentators are not helping matters!