Aberdeen V St.Johnstone - Wednesday 26th February

SaintJet

We are fast becoming embroiled in a serious relegation battle and we need a spark of some kind to give us some confidence. I know we are always looking for a settled selection but now is not the time to stick with team who started on Saturday. 

I don't rate Gallacher at all and so I hope we get Kelts back with McGowan. Nicky Clark looked a bit lost too so hopefully we can find him being pushed further forward.

Aberdeen are on a poor run also so it's important we try and get an early goal and put further pressure on them; I'm depserate for us to get the first goal to see if we can push on.

Posted this on the St Mirren thread but I'd like to see us go with something like this:

___________________Mitov

Keltjens __McGowan Gordon__Robinson

_________Sprangler___Phillips

Kimpioka___M. Smith____May

___________________Clark

For the most part that puts everyone in their natural positions and we lose the failing wing-back system in favour of a simple flat back four. Sprangler sits back and protects the defence and can be almost like the third centre-back if needed. Challenge Phillips to cover more ground and go box-to-box. Matt Smith in a more attacking role. Kimpioka wide right to use his pace as an out-and-out winger. And bring back May, who must surely feel like he has a point to prove, to drift in off the left flank and support Clark.

That said, I think Levein will probably go with something more like this:

___________________Mitov

__________Gordon Considine Robinson

Keltjens ______Phillips Carey_______ Gallacher

____________M. Smith___Kucheriavyi

___________________Clark

I’d go 4-3-3:

Mitov

Keltjens McGowan Considine Gallacher

Smith Sprangler Phillips

DJ  Clark  Carey

Robinson been miles off it since his return, Gordon could benefit from a few games on the bench too.  Wouldn’t be against dropping Phillips either but the alternative is Kucheriavyi…

Sprangler back in to protect the defence and system allows for wingers (remember them?).  Get the ball wide quickly and don’t be scared to run at their full backs - I’d rather the players lost the ball trying to beat a man than pass sideways and inevitably backwards.

He surely surely won’t start Kucheriavyi as a couple of you have suggested he might. He’s tried a couple of others in there - hopefully this time it’s Sprangler’s turn.

A positive step taken by trying Kerr Smith in the back three to freshen it up, hope to see him back in there ahead of Considine, McGowan or Gordon(in that order).

Mitov

McGowan  Gordon   K.Smith

Keltjens                           Robinson

Sprangler    Phillips

M.Smith

Clark    Kimpioka 

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

I think Kerr Smiths been poor tbh, but if the back 3 is here and McGowan is out, its better than Gordon or Olufunwa playing there.

There feels like little point thinking of any set up for this thats not a back 3/5, and i think Kucheriavyi will start simply because he hasnt for a while. Same for Kimpioka. 

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I think Kerr Smiths been poor tbh, but if the back 3 is here and McGowan is out, its better than Gordon or Olufunwa playing there.

You’re seriously writing Kerr Smith off over tried and tested mediocrity off the back of 2 starts?  

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Posted this on the St Mirren thread but I'd like to see us go with something like this:

___________________Mitov

Keltjens __McGowan Gordon__Robinson

_________Sprangler___Phillips

Kimpioka___M. Smith____May

___________________Clark

I like the look of that team. Only change I would make is Gallacher for Robinson. As @double deluxe has mentioned, Robinson has been miles off it since his return.

After Saturday, surely it has to have crossed Levein and Kirks minds that we need to change things up. This Aberdeen team are vulnerable and they have one of the most fickle supports in the league. We should be aiming to be aggressive and on the front foot as much as possible in the opening stages.

1 minute ago, Aitchy said:

I like the look of that team. Only change I would make is Gallacher for Robinson. As @double deluxe has mentioned, Robinson has been miles off it since his return.

After Saturday, surely it has to have crossed Levein and Kirks minds that we need to change things up. This Aberdeen team are vulnerable and they have one of the most fickle supports in the league. We should be aiming to be aggressive and on the front foot as much as possible in the opening stages.

Gallagher? As in Tony Gallagher? Or have we signed someone I’ve missed.

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

You’re seriously writing Kerr Smith off over tried and tested mediocrity off the back of 2 starts?  

Where did i compare him to any of the other CBs?

Ypu really need to calm down about how much you seem to hate some of the squad, for your own good as much as anything. Its not a good place to be mentally.

As others have said, we need to start taking the game to teams, especially Aberdeen.

Despite having a relatively decent squad, they're massively underperforming.

They also rely heavily on their one, real quality player.

If we get about them, with the speed we have up front, it could unnerve them, and then that should spread quite quickly to the fans.

It won't take long before they get on top of them because they’ll be expecting to give us a hiding.

As for the set up, Levein will probably give Aberdeen too much respect, so I can't imagine two up front.

The actual team will more than likely be a back three or five, but I’m trying to get into Levein’s head and I'm going to go for a 4-5-1.

This formation should get most of our best players on the pitch at the same time.

Therefore, I'd go with…

Mitov

Keltjens  McGowan  Gordon  Robinson/Gallacher

Jaiyesimi    Smith     Sprangler     Phillips        Carey

Kimpioka

I'd drop Considine for this one. He looked slow and tired on Saturday, and three games in a week might be pushing it if he's to be involved against Livi.

That's a game I think he'd be more suited to.

He also seems to always have a nightmare against his old team, so give him a rest both physically and mentally for this one.

McGowan if he's fit, K. Smith if he's not, alongside Gordon.

Left back, much of a muchness between the two. Rock, paper, scissors to decide which one starts.

DJ on the right wing because that's where he should be, same with Carey on the other side.

Sprangler sitting deep and doing a job on Miovski to hopefully keep him quiet.

Phillips hopefully back to himself and doing his box to box thing.

M. Smith playing further up and linking play to Kimpioka. Matty has also proved he can not only make a telling pass but he also took his goal well at Dens so I think he’d do well in a more attacking role.

Kimpioka for his speed and strength up top.

I presume Sidibeh will be getting a rest for this one and at most, be on the bench.

Using him on the wing has been touted by a few and that's an interesting option.

I think he's still raw enough to be moulded into whatever position we needed to be honest. But as I've said, he should be sitting most, if not all of this one out.

May always seems to do well against his old sides.

He's scored for us a couple of times against Aberdeen, and for them against us, so I'd consider him to take a part in proceedings at some point.

Maybe replacing Benji after about the hour mark and perhaps if we need a goal, as if.

We could maybe change shape and he could be partnered with Clark up front. Scenes!

I also like the other suggestions of a 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

We certainly need to do something different, because what we’re currently doing isn’t working.

We’ll hopefully get a reaction from the players after Paisley, and take some sort of result and momentum into another very big game at the weekend.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

You really need to calm down about how much you seem to hate some of the squad, for your own good as much as anything. Its not a good place to be mentally.

Just think Tony Gallagher is pretty pish and will cost us points if he starts and Andy Considine is contorted, slow, immobile and will cost us points(more) if he starts. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have a strong opinion on it and the fact that supporters, who have paid good money for a season ticket, are left watching those two as starting defenders - really poor.

10 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Just think Tony Gallagher is pretty pish and will cost us points if he starts and Andy Considine is contorted, slow, immobile and will cost us points(more) if he starts. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have a strong opinion on it and the fact that supporters, who have paid good money for a season ticket, are left watching those two as starting defenders - really poor.

I'm with you on Gallacher; I think he has no confidence in a match at all and gives the ball away like a hot potato.

I've changed my opinion of Conso, he's clearly a top a player but has lost a step. I think he would be truly outstanding if he had mobile defenders around him but there in lies the problem.

I think we need Gowser back in there tonight - when we played the sheep at McD our defense was as good as it has been in a long time.

I just hope CL doesn’t have us park the bus and play for a 0-0, we really need 3 points in this game, every game feels like it’s a cup semi final right now, with something to play for which is them keeping their pay packet as I’m sure a drop to the championship will see many of them without a club moving forward.

Agree with most that Considine should sit this one out, both because 3 games in 1 week might kill him, and because he just struggles against Aberdeen.

In an ideal world, its a 433/4231 with the potential of a May and Clark partnership but it just won't happen, so I'm going with:

Mitov

McGowan - Gordon - K. Smith

Keltjens                               Robinson

Phillips - M. Smith

Carey

Clark - Kimpioka

I know Levein will set up to play like Saturday.  The time has long passed when we should have said this isn't working and rebooted.  We need to give players an opportunity to replace those whose form is abject.  Discover if there is a player in there or we'll still have questions before next season in the championship which with doing nothing is coming.

Mitov

Keltjens, McGowan, Olufunwa, Robinson

Sprangler, 

Phillips, M Smith

Carey or Sidibeh depending on his health. 

Jaiyesimi, Kimpioka,  

We need to scare the Aberdeen defence, more pace in the back line and more protection and some creativity from the middle.  McGowan can talk Olufunwa through the game.  

If a three at the back, drop Robinson, put May on the left, Carey to bench.  

17 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

You’ve packed in though, so why are you bothered? 

32 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Will our approach be different if we start the game in 11th place tomorrow rather than where we are? A result for County tonight isn't so far fetched.

Our approach in every game is the same regardless of the players available, team we’re playing or position in the league