Goalscorer

lulu

He's a proven goalscorer at a lower level though - how many goals did he get last year?

I hope he does well but it's a big gamble for Owen since given the current form of the strikers another shot-shy dud is the last thing he needs.

I appreciate Weatherston is younger than Deuchar but Weatherston scored a lot of goals at a lower level as well, yet nobody really saw that as an issue when he signed for us. Deuchar is only 27, and with Gretnas ability to release players as and when they see fit, he's done well to stay there. He did well by all accounts during his spell with Northamption in League One in England too.

His record is something like 76 starts, 54 goals for Gretna. You can't really knock that. He's worth a shot.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all for Gr£tna he probably had decent service. His record there is a good one but 41 of those goals came when they were in the 2nd Div and arguably romping home every week due to the gulf between the other sides and Brooke's SPL DreamTeam.

The point about Weatherston is valid if he's been signed as a striker - I think he's more likely to be used as a right winger, since his pace is arguably his best attribute (other than the coiffure of course).

Like it or not, unless Offiong or another proven striker (at this level or above) signs tomorrow, Deuchar will be looked upon as OC's solution to the current goalscoring problem. I don't doubt for a minute that if Daal, Stewart and Jacko were wading in with 2-3 goals each by now that we'd have signed him. He's not a proven goalscorer at this level and therefore it is a big gamble for the manager.

As for Gr£tna's need to release a player, they've got a squad of about 400.

First of all for Gr£tna he probably had decent service. His record there is a good one but 41 of those goals came when they were in the 2nd Div and arguably romping home every week due to the gulf between the other sides and Brooke's SPL DreamTeam.

The point about Weatherston is valid if he's been signed as a striker - I think he's more likely to be used as a right winger, since his pace is arguably his best attribute (other than the coiffure of course).

Like it or not, unless Offiong or another proven striker (at this level or above) signs tomorrow, Deuchar will be looked upon as OC's solution to the current goalscoring problem. I don't doubt for a minute that if Daal, Stewart and Jacko were wading in with 2-3 goals each by now that we'd have signed him. He's not a proven goalscorer at this level and therefore it is a big gamble for the manager.

As for Gr£tna's need to release a player, they've got a squad of about 400.

I think the overwhelming point to take from this is that if the service is there, Deuchar knows how to score goals. It's now down to the likes of Weatherston, McCluskey, Hardie, Sheerin and McLaren to create for our strikers. Be positive! :)

Im sceptical about this.

He doesn't have a proven record at this level. He struggled to get a game for Gretna last year and got shipped off! How is that proven? Yes he scored a barrowload in Div 3, but I'm positive Stewart would have if he had players like Tosh and O'Neil giving him qaulity balls, against terrible opposition. He was far from impressive in the games vrs Saints.

Ill always fully support the boy, but I can't say im impressed.

I recall exactly the same comments being made when Stewart signed.......and he's done well eh?

People are allowed to have an opinion on signings.

Ofcourse people are intilted to their opinion, thats what the forum is for and I wasnt saying they arnt. I just dont get how anyone can judge a player before he has even played one game for us, this really bugs me.

If he turns out to be shit by all means complain but to say someone is going to be a bad signing before anyone has seen them isnt right. This is just my opinion, give the guy a chance before you judge him is all i am saying.

Ofcourse people are intilted to their opinion, thats what the forum is for and I wasnt saying they arnt. I just dont get how anyone can judge a player before he has even played one game for us, this really bugs me.

If he turns out to be shit by all means complain but to say someone is going to be a bad signing before anyone has seen them isnt right. This is just my opinion, give the guy a chance before you judge him is all i am saying.

Surely we can judge him from his records at clubs before here? His records good, but anyones record would be good if they played in that Gretna side.

I have mixed feelings. Hopefully he will give us a aerial threat up front that we dont seem to have.

I doubt very much if we could sign anyone with a better SFL goal scoring record. I think to many people expect to much. It's not as if Kenny Miller is likely to drop a league. Even if he did, all the doom merchants would slate Coyle for bringing in a Celtic dud.

Why are we limited to players in Scotland?

The best Saints sides I've seen were supplemented by foreign talent. Baltacha in the the early 90s, Dasovic and Dino under Sturrock, Simao in the late 90s and Jason last season.

I appreciate he's tried to bring in a foreign striker but just because Daal isn't working, doesn't mean that isn't a market worth sourcing.

There seems to be this notion that folk are slagging Coyle and Deuchar for the sake of it, which is patently nonsense.

The best Saints sides I've seen were supplemented by foreign talent. Baltacha in the the early 90s, Dasovic and Dino under Sturrock, Simao in the late 90s and Jason last season.

I appreciate he's tried to bring in a foreign striker but just because Daal isn't working, doesn't mean that isn't a market worth sourcing.

There seems to be this notion that folk are slagging Coyle and Deuchar for the sake of it, which is patently nonsense.

As explained last night, it comes down to money. We cannot/will not offer the same money as many reserve players in the SPL are on let alone the wages and incurred costs of brining someone over from another country. Infact as explained last night Raith were offering Todd a better basic and we were close to getting McKay from Livi only for them to come in and offer a better deal.

While I understand the reasons for the wage structure at the end of the day money talks if we do not offer the best we will not get the best and as such the SPL will always be out of site

Do you know for a fact that Coyle has not been targeting players in other countries?

the sums that players receive down south in the nationwide are far higher than up here in addition to which you also have 90 odd clubs competing for them. Yes we signed folk years ago and look at the reputed wages we were having to pay back then, you would need 3 or 4 times that now.

Hardie was only banned for 1 match and that was at Clyde last week. Does it matter who starts scoring goals as long as someone does?? I dont mind who coyle brings in to the club as long as he looks as if he wants to play and puts in a good performance. I hope that a few strikers get goals on sunday and boost their confidence in front of goal.