Saints vs. Clyde 27/10/07

Guest Nairn Saint

These posts labelling Clyde a "diddy team" etc are completely wide of the mark. I don't think we have beaten Clyde by more than a single goal ever since we were relegated from SPL in 2002 - am sure someone can confirm this. Indeed I would reckon the overall record must be pretty close to 50/50 over that time period.

There is no way we should have gone into todays game with any air of complacency about us due simply to the record over recent years and also because they beat us earlier in the season.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

willie mclaren has been playing well but i feel weatherston creates oppositon teams a lot more problems. if weatherston had mclarens end product he'd be some player to have

Can we no do a Frankenstein operation on them??

Everything was poor today. Was like a tennis match cause we completely missed the midfield.

Waste of cash in my view. We cheer at Dundee losing or drawing but we should only be concerned with ourselves. We are 10 points behind now. Played Clyde twice now and we can't break them down. Ref card and whistle happy which was a complete joke.

What was Peaso all about?! Great substitution, not!

McClaren refused to make a run down the wing. He kept coming short for a pass from Irvine. He should have been getting to the byline more with Irvine feeding the ball through. Weatherston should have started.

Easy to say that now though!

Put a little pressure on Irvine and he craps it. He was shocking 2nd half.

Put a little pressure on Irvine and he craps it. He was shocking 2nd half.

I agree totally, however, he was on a booking and the way the ref was being card happy, if Imrie run at him and he put a tackle in the cheat would've dived and he'd have been off. No much protection from Right Mid and a Centre half.

They never protected each other.

LONG BALLS ARE NOT FOOTBALL

We really were very lucky to avoid defeat today.The only positive I can take is that we are thrre points better off than we were this stage of the first quarter.

I am now away to look at the Pars website..................

How many points behind the leaders were we at this stage of the first quarter???

Bit of perspective folks! It was a poor draw, but Clyde set themselves up for that and they are the only team to beat us in the league this season! We''ll bounce back. 3 points would have been nice but 1 point is better than nothing!!

Massive game next week, good day out for Dundee, hopefully 3 points, with better weather conditions and the chance to put things right...HAMILTON WILL GO THROUGH A STICKY SPELL....

Diabolical from Saints yesterday. Our best three players were Main, McManus and Anderson, which says it all. Quinn had his worst game in a Saints shirt but it's difficult to be too harsh on him as the ball by-passed him for most of the game. Credit Clyde for pressing us but we had to be braver and remain true to the way we've been playing in recent weeks, not take the easy option of looking for Kenny Deuchar at the first opportunity. Irvine had his worst game for us as well but was walking a tightrope after the early booking. If Dougie Imrie is playing poorly at the moment, I'd hate to see him playing well.

Subs should have been on earlier after their performances midweek and McLaren should never have been hooked, Coyle should have got him across to the left and then either McCluksey or Weatherston on the right.

I doubt we are going to win this league so I don't want to have to endure more performances like that, last season throwing balls forward looking for a lucky break was acceptable when we really needed it, this season we aren't at that level in the table so I wish we'd just tried to continue playing like we have done since the start of September and not this long ball pish.

Easy to take frustrations out on the referee when we are playing like that but games between Saints and Clyde are never easy to handle.

Important thing is to make sure it's a one-off poor performance and doesn't materialise into a run of form and maybe next time we'll get Clyde on one of their off days.

These posts labelling Clyde a "diddy team" etc are completely wide of the mark. I don't think we have beaten Clyde by more than a single goal ever since we were relegated from SPL in 2002

I am pretty sure we gubbed the 3 - 0 at broadwood about a week after they beat Celtic, but thats the only time that springs to mind. Sorry if this has been said, havnt read other posts yet.

I am pretty sure we gubbed the 3 - 0 at broadwood about a week after they beat Celtic, but thats the only time that springs to mind. Sorry if this has been said, havnt read other posts yet.

We were gubbing them 3-0, then did a Saints and lost two late goals. We have recorded a couple fo 3-0 wins at home though, one under Stark (Nov 03) and one under Connolly (Nov 04).

The drift I am getting from what is being said on here, and on P&B::

We needed to score first against Clyde. If it was so obvious that they came with the idea of sitting back and making it difficult a quick goal may have caused them to change their style of play. If it's their usual game surely teams (and us) should be wise to it by now, if not able to do anything about it. Bet Hamilton don't get caught out by it though.

I think the players didn't start right after half time as well. We were playing like there was 10 mins left for the whole half instead of keeping it down and passing it about. Especially with that ref, when we had it on the ground they were giving away a lot of fouls when we ran it at them. Sheerin was a bit rubbish with his delivery, but winning a few more set pieces would of given us a better chance.

We were playing some really good passing football the first 20mins and I doubt if Clyde would have managed to hold us off for the 90mins if we'd stuck to doing that. They were having to foul us.

The players seemed to panic and resort to long balls far too early, possibly undertandably given the pressure Hamilton are putting on us to win every week.

Coyle has to get the players to stick to the passing game though because I don't believe theres a team in the division can live with use when we knock it about.

In the end a point was a point gained from this game. It wouldnt be so bad had our early season form not let us down. The main problem here for me was coyle's lack of tactical awareness. It was obvious that clyde were too fast for us and mcluskey and wetherston should have been on earlier. Still, im sure we shall pick it up against dundee.

These posts labelling Clyde a "diddy team" etc are completely wide of the mark. I don't think we have beaten Clyde by more than a single goal ever since we were relegated from SPL in 2002 - am sure someone can confirm this. Indeed I would reckon the overall record must be pretty close to 50/50 over that time period..

With regard to Clyde there is no way they are a diddy team, in fact they are are punching well above their weight when you consider their finances and poor attandances

You know what you are going to get with Clyde. If its an away game a good programme, frezing cold (no matter when the game is played) and they will play agressive and time waste and if its at McDiarmid they will time waste even more and try every trick in the book to kill the game

I stand by what I said in that I hate their style and its teams like that that kill the game, hopefully they will either change style one day or go down and a team who tries to entertain will replace them

It was obvious that clyde were too fast for us and mcluskey and wetherston should have been on earlier.

I'm not sure that's correct, at least when it comes to McCluskey. He would have been kicked all over the park and that so called 'referee' would have missed most of it. It was a game where we really missed Martin Hardie.