Andy Jackson

MUZZ

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just needed a bit of confidence. It's a cliche but folk said when he got that first goal, they'd start to flow, and so it has come to pass.

For a 19/20 year-old to have scored 13 goals so far in his debut is fantastic. He's actually on the same mark as Scotland at this stage last season. I don't think Andy will hit 26 goals but then I doubt anyone thought he'd be this prolific.

Delighted he is tied up until 2010, so we are under no pressure to sell him.

Why does he get picked for Ireland when he was born in Falkirk.

Is he another Aiden?

Following is from his programme interview earlier in the season:

"I've been part of the Ireland squad for a while now and have played for the U18s and U19s. Hopefully if the scoring run - 8 goals in 8 games - continues then I might get a break into the U21s. Scotland had been told about me and it seemed they weren't really interested but Ireland had kept an eye on me and seemed to know I was eligible and I was really chuffed to be noticed from afar like that.

"I went on to play in the European Championships with the U19s so with that kind of competitive fixture under my belt, I'm definitely committed to the Republic team now. I was playing in youth leagues (with Saints) and doing really well, winning that league and scoring a lot of goals - so it's a bit disappointing that Scotland didn't come in for a look at me at some point.

"But I'm really enjoying my time with Ireland and that's the end of it, there can't be any sour grapes or anything like that. At the end of the day someone has to notice you, it was Ireland that had me on their scouting list and things just moved on from that, It's just good their scouting list also knew my Dad's mother was Irish!"

Fair enough to the lad, if you're scoring goals for fun (youth level) and your own country doesn't come calling, if your eligible to play for another country at international level, you take the opportunity.

As said hopefully as he's not made the step to U21s yet we can still have him as i think he could do well at that level.

Only thing that worries me is that if he gets the main stream exposure through either Scotland/Ireland U21s, would we be able to hold onto the lad?

After a bit of a duff start, he's showing a hell of a lot now.

He can't miss at the moment and is the best striker for his age in Scotland.

We shouldn't even contemplate selling him, he's just signed a new contract and loves playing for the club.

His goal against Dunfy was class, I couldn't see where the ball was going because of their lumping defenders between me and the goal but Jacko was already at the corner flag celebrating when we realised it was a goal.

He must have known it was going in as soon as it left his foot.

For information, Tommy Campbell asked the Scotland youth set up to take a look at Andy and they were not in the slightest bit interested!! Surely they can see how a youngster could be good enough even when playing out with the big league?!?!?

Clearly not, they wouldn't go and watch the guy McCarthy at Accies either. We'll see what happens but I suspect Cameron won't be any better than Mooner, yet because he plays for Dundee United (Alex Smith's former club), he's played for Scotland at all levels.

As he, as Radford points out from the program notes, has played for Ireland, will he still be eligible to pull on a Dark Blue shirt for Scotland?

Is there not a rule that players, choosing to play for a country other than the one they were born in, and not having yet played at U21 level, can be capped by their home country?

A person should only play for their country of birth

I think that's quite an outdated idea. These days people move around a lot more and it's not as simple as just having an alliegance to their country of birth. If a person has Scottish grandparents, Scottish parents, was raised in Scotland and has lived all their life in Scotland, but was born in England, do you think they should be ineligible to play for Scotland?

I think that's quite an outdated idea. These days people move around a lot more and it's not as simple as just having an alliegance to their country of birth. If a person has Scottish grandparents, Scottish parents, was raised in Scotland and has lived all their life in Scotland, but was born in England, do you think they should be ineligible to play for Scotland?

thats a fair point, for all intents and purposes that person is Scottish, i have to concede that.

I have never respected McGeady of Sellick because he plays for Ireland.Jacko playing for Ireland doesn't bother me as long as he is a Saintee.

Probably illogical but what has supporting a team got to do with logic?

Differnce being, both Scotland and Ireland wanted McGeady and he chose Ireland because of 'advice from the club'. Celtic advised a young Scotsman to play for Ireland over Scotland... we could only speculate as to why:roll:

I was critical of Jackson earlier on in the season, didn't think he was good enough to be playing in the 1st team but he's proved me totally wrong.

His goal tally speaks for itself and if he keeps his current form we'll struggle to hold onto him. He is a class finisher.

Obviously there are a few areas of his game that need a lot of work, but that's to be expected because of his age.

On the contrary, for a player of his age he shows a lot of confidence always making himself available for the ball.

My favourite attribute of his is his bravery. Good to see a forward putting himself about and not scared to go 50/50 with a defender twice his size.

Hopefully he keeps proving me wrong and bangs in 26 goals this season.