Weatherston has left

GeorgetheSaint

On the occassion I saw him, he looked tactically inept and a passenger. Perhaps was partly due to his bit-part involvement, but honestly, I couldn't see him making any progress with Saints. The Morton game was an example, he came on and shortly thereafter Saints lost even more of the midfield and he failed to offer any break for the rest of hte team by holding onto the ball or creating opportnuities.

Whether or not he will come back to haunt is questionable. I think that he looked like the sort of player that any half reasonable defender should be able to bully out of any game.

Sorry Davey, won't miss you.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you assume wrong. i just dont see what he brings to us:confused:

Aside from pace, creativity and ability to run with the ball? Being at last night's game you'd have seen him create the opening goal and have a lot to do with our improved second half performance. Also bearing in mind these are his first competitive matches since early March, there should hopefully be further improvement to come. If that's deemed a "waste of a wage" from a "wannabe" then we're all just wasting our time and might as well just call it a day now. I'm genuinely baffled :confused:

Not too bothered. Every time he got a chance in the first eleven he didn't do enough to keep the jersey.

In this season I reckon there are better players in his position(s), even tho their form/confidence maybe shaky at the mo.

Wouldn't surprise me if he "had" to go to balance the wages.

Good luck to him, he's got more of a chance of a game at Queens than he did with us.

Really annoyed at this i really like him showed great promise even when played out of position i would rather have got rid of McDonald so another great decision by Del it looks like.:mad:

There's no way any manager would ever get rid of Peaso in favour of an unestablished, untried and untested striker who only ever plays out of position. To me it's a perfectly reasonable, and inevitable, decision by Del - it's freed up money (and brought in a transfer fee) that will have gone towards the signing of McKoy, someone who it seems is actually going to play for us.

There's always disappointment expressed when the club lets a younger player go, but it's often based on very little.

OC's later signings really were poor, weren't they? Is he the last of Coyle's final pre-season batch to be punted?

That's very unfair. A lot of them didn't settle in a team which was suffering a massive postHamilton hangover. Daal's record at Dundee and was more than good and he's off the mark at Ross Co, Jinky never got the breaks due to his metatarsal breaks but had more latent talent than anyone else at the club, Irvine is class (though his form has plummeted since Del took charge), I'd love to take Rocco and Deuchar back whilst Davie was a low cost gamble. Let's be honest, if he fooled Levein and Coyle, good luck to him. OC's signings were largely great.

On Davie, I don't think his release frees up a wage. He made it reasonably clear when he signed that he wasn't here for the money. Morgan will be taking his wages and then some. In financial terms, one in and one out is the same as one out and one in!!!!

Peaso won't be released due to the longevity of his contract. In order to bring in another defender, somebody may well have to go, but that somebody will surely be a midfielder or the sale of Savo.

That's very unfair. A lot of them didn't settle in a team which was suffering a massive postHamilton hangover. Daal's record at Dundee and was more than good and he's off the mark at Ross Co, Jinky never got the breaks due to his metatarsal breaks but had more latent talent than anyone else at the club, Irvine is class (though his form has plummeted since Del took charge), I'd love to take Rocco and Deuchar back whilst Davie was a low cost gamble. Let's be honest, if he fooled Levein and Coyle, good luck to him. OC's signings were largely great.

[DAAL!!!!! DON T MAKE ME LAUGH!!!!!!!HE WAS MINCE , WITH A BAD ATTITUDE TO BOOT!!! MCLUSKEY NICE STEP OVER!!! NOTHING MUCH ELSE!I WILL GIVE YOU THE DOC AND IRVINE THOUGH! JURY WAS OUT ON ROCCO, THINK MILLAR, CRAIG ARE BETTER. AS FOR DAVIE HE FLATTERED TO DECIEVE

Obvious McIness didn`t rate him as he never got a decent run in the team. probably doesn`t fall in with his tactics of long punt up the park & play at walking pace. I think if he had been used properly now that we have a big man up front his pace & crosses could have paid dividends.

Del has lost the plot & to let him go to QoS is just plain crazy even for a fee which will be less than GB`s pocket money.

Be a shame if it is true - he was never given a chance here.

He was a fairly prolific centre forward at Queens Park, but in his fleeting appearances here played out on the wing. I would have liked to have seen him get a chance in some of our cup games at least this year given that we are misfiring badly just now.

Seems Del isn't a fan though.

i agree wiv u there he was never given the chance 2 play up front couldnt b any worse than the strikers that r playing

I think it's completely fair. Most of OC's signings, particularly his early ones, were very good - but those he made during his last summer were appalling. Am I not right in saying that every single one of them failed and has now moved on? Willie McLaren was also a terrible signing and terrible waster of money. Irvine seems like a decent signing though. Deuchar and Rocco were only here on loan deals (and whenever I saw Rocco he was nothing special).

I think it's completely fair. Most of OC's signings, particularly his early ones, were very good - but those he made during his last summer were appalling. Am I not right in saying that every single one of them failed and has now moved on? Willie McLaren was also a terrible signing and terrible waster of money. Irvine seems like a decent signing though. Deuchar and Rocco were only here on loan deals (and whenever I saw Rocco he was nothing special).

Dukes, Irvine, Rocco, Daal, Jinky and Davie cannot be described as appalling signings/players. You cannot exclude loan signings, in your verdict of OCs player judgement. You may blame the board for not splashing the cash to make the signings permanant, though I don't.

I would say that:

Dukes is a better player than Holmes

Irvine is still to be replaced, so you can't argue with that signing

Rocco is a better player than McKoy

Daal will score a similar number of goals as Holmes this season

I would rather have Jinky than Sammy (don't expect many on here to agree)

Davie was a mistake, but he was worth the risk; little cost and highly recommended by many

Good grief. I don't know where you get your logic from but it's not very logical. How you can compare McKoy to Rocco is one thing. How you can claim the signing of Weatherston to be a mistake then go on to somewhat defend that of Daal is another.

When you say "don't expect many to agree" - do you ever wonder why?

Good grief. I don't know where you get your logic from but it's not very logical. How you can compare McKoy to Rocco is one thing. How you can claim the signing of Weatherston to be a mistake then go on to somewhat defend that of Daal is another.

When you say "don't expect many to agree" - do you ever wonder why?

If I could have only one, I would take Rocco over McKoy. I feel he's got more skill and it simply needs to be harnassed correctly.

Weatherston tunred out to be a poor signing but was worth the small risk we took on him.

Daal scored 5/7 for the Scum, that's good going. I'll wager you £20 that he outscores Holmes in league games this season. Do you accept?

Hopefully we've inserted some sort of sell-on clause in the deal, just in case.

Well I've been reading through the thread to see what you Saints fans thought of "our" wonderkid and it's fair to say that most appreciate he was played out of position and failed to reproduce the scoring form he showed at Queens.

But the above quote is a corker. Davie was a signed Queens player from the age of 12 until he left us aged 20, and the finished article as our top scorer.

You guys never paid Queens Park a single penny for his services.

Yet here you are now having destroyed the guys confidence by playing him out of position in a misfiring team, he hasn't even made the subs bench in the last couple of games. Now he's moved on to try to kickstart his career and you think St Johnstone should have a sell on clause. If anyone should benefit from any sell on clause it should be Queens Park who supplied Davie with 8 years of good coaching and encouragement to get to where he was before he had the stuffing knocked out of him by bad coaching.

By comparison, just look at your own Andy Jackson, who I believe has come through the youth ranks at Saints. Same age as Davie when he was at Queens. Davie played in the same position for Queens as Andy does for you, and like Andy he scored 20 or so goals for us before you signed him.

Imagine an SPL team came in for Andy, bigger club, bigger wage. Then proceeded to play him in midfield ????????

Me, I blame Owen Coyle.

Well I've been reading through the thread to see what you Saints fans thought of "our" wonderkid and it's fair to say that most appreciate he was played out of position and failed to reproduce the scoring form he showed at Queens.

But the above quote is a corker. Davie was a signed Queens player from the age of 12 until he left us aged 20, and the finished article as our top scorer.

Yet here you are now having destroyed the guys confidence by playing him out of position in a misfiring team, he hasn't even made the subs bench in the last couple of games. Now he's moved on to try to kickstart his career and you think St Johnstone should have a sell on clause. If anyone should benefit from any sell on clause it should be Queens Park who supplied Davie with 8 years of good coaching and encouragement to get to where he was before he had the stuffing knocked out of him by bad coaching.

By comparison, just look at your own Andy Jackson, who I believe has come through the youth ranks at Saints. Same age as Davie when he was at Queens. Davie played in the same position for Queens as Andy does for you, and like Andy he scored 20 or so goals for us before you signed him.

Imagine an SPL team came in for Andy, bigger club, bigger wage. Then proceeded to play him in midfield ????????

Me, I blame Owen Coyle.

I agree with you 100% Spiderman, I didnt realise that we did not pay a fee for Davie, and find that poor, but that is the sad thing about football right now, the clubs who discover the talent and give it a chance never get the reward they deserve.

If I could have only one, I would take Rocco over McKoy. I feel he's got more skill and it simply needs to be harnassed correctly.

Weatherston tunred out to be a poor signing but was worth the small risk we took on him.

Daal scored 5/7 for the Scum, that's good going. I'll wager you £20 that he outscores Holmes in league games this season. Do you accept?

HOLMES COULD SPEND THE REST OF THE SEASON WITH HIS LEGS TIED TOGETHER AND SCORE MORE THAN DAAL!!!! F.F.S!!!

Me, I blame Owen Coyle.

Why was there not a compensation fee paid? or is because he was only on amateur forms with your Club? Under the rules of the SFA any Club that a player played with after the age of 12 are entitled to a share of any transfer fees. So you might get something now.

I'm disappointed with this. on the very few occasions that Del gave him a chance, I thought Davie was good. Quick, good touch, decent crosser and obviously a knack for goal. Playing him wide right probably meant we didn't get the best out of him but when he came off the bench he was the type of player that had the ability to create something out of nothing. Bad times...

I agree with you 100% Spiderman, I didnt realise that we did not pay a fee for Davie, and find that poor, but that is the sad thing about football right now, the clubs who discover the talent and give it a chance never get the reward they deserve.

Go back to Radford's original quote he hopes there is a 'sell-on' clause. So do I. I also hope we have a 'sell on' clause in Christiano Ronaldo's contract and Berbatov's. Whilst I agree with Spiderman that Queens have developed his potential, and we have probably stalled it, nonetheless it was St Johnstone that contracted him not Queens. And unless they have been paying players on the fly it is St Johsntone that has invested the most moeny (not time) on his development as a professional footballer. Good luck David I think we let you down but I'd still take some money for you. As for Queens they should pay us for all the investment we made in Billy Stark's managerial career. We suffered they gained.