PITCH INSPECTION AT 12.30pm

Paul@StJohnstone

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He rarely replies with answer to the points raised. He appears incapable of debate.

I don't have a strong opinion either way because I don't know the facts. I have no idea if £5000.00 is an accurate figure for the cost of the USH and I have no idea what costs the club incurred today. Nobody (Mainstand included) knows what the turnstile cash figure would have been today thus we can only guess at the gate income differential.

Pointless argument anyway, the club make very few mistakes and we don't have access to the relevant figures. Trust me, if we win the re-arranged fixture, no true fan will give a monkeys!

I would just like to say a couple of things on this subject and then I'm done.

Firstly as far as I'm aware, the cost of the USH is around £800/£1000 per day and secondly this nonsense about it having to be on for at least 48 hours prior to a Saturday is bollocks. It only has to be on 48 hours before a game if the ground is frozen at that time so as it can defrosted by match day. If the ground is not frozen but a frost is forecast the system only takes a few hours to warm up enough to stop a frost forming in the ground if there is no frost present at that time....

All that has happened here is that the club have looked at the weather forecast and made a decision based on that forecast. There was next to no frost in Perth all week.( I think I had to scrape the car once and I go out at 5.30am and on Monday we had a little snow). Unless we employ our very own weatherman/woman( still with no guarantee of accuracy) we have to take info from someone and they unfortunately got it very wrong..While we are all a bit pissed of and very disappointed I cannot see how the club could have done much more unless Chris the groundsman had camped out overnight on the off chance and when it started to get chilly he could have put the USH.

Lets get over it and get thinking about the next challenge at Morton next Saturday...

'Mon The Saints

Is it not the case that the USH cannot be turned on if the ground is already frozen but can only be used in anticipation of frost?:confused:

I dunno..I'll google it after I find out if the old bloke on the lottery wins £100,000..Well done to the old guy........:D.

Cannae find much info on the workings of USH but I did find that most of the new systems are automatic and are automaticaly activated when the temp settings are reached....

And I love you to 101!!!

NOT!

I rest my case. No reason, no logic, no argument; just insults and the lowest form of wit. Why don't you ever answer posts in an adult manner. I've been insightfully informed by Dev Alahan PhD that I am warped and Macarius Esquire has helpfully informed me that I am hated, but I will always argue the points laid before me. As such, the intelligent folks on the forum will question my posts and scrutinise my argument using logic, reason and common sense. If everyone could try and do that, the forum would create more solutions than problems.

I rest my case. No reason, no logic, no argument; just insults and the lowest form of wit. Why don't you ever answer posts in an adult manner. I've been insightfully informed by Dev Alahan PhD that I am warped and Macarius Esquire has helpfully informed me that I am hated, but I will always argue the points laid before me. As such, the intelligent folks on the forum will question my posts and scrutinise my argument using logic, reason and common sense. If everyone could try and do that, the forum would create more solutions than problems.

101 I am not going to get intoa game of ping pong posts with you. I have made my views clear in response to John, a conversation that was taking place before your post. Read it.

i think a lot of folk including me were disappointed the match was postponed.these things happen.

maybe we should have an undersoil heating fund that we all chip in .then we can put it on a few days before home games.thus ensuring all home matches are on.thats if theres nae fog or the car park is too icy etc .lets warm the grass and burn they roots.then youse can all complain about the dodgy playin surface.see ye cannae win .game was cancelled get, over it.

i think a lot of folk including me were disappointed the match was postponed.these things happen.

maybe we should have an undersoil heating fund that we all chip in .then we can put it on a few days before home games.thus ensuring all home matches are on.thats if theres nae fog or the car park is too icy etc .lets warm the grass and burn they roots.then youse can all complain about the dodgy playin surface.see ye cannae win .game was cancelled get, over it.

Uh oh...are you sober?! Very good point, Mainstand et al can argue about fictious/estimated/guessed sums of cash, but Chris and Geoff also have to consider the pitch, in terms of football and finance. If the pitch is gubbed we'll struggle to get visitors to rent our pitch. Which impacts on our finances. It's just not that simple, guys.

I think it's worth remembering that there are clubs far bigger (and with far more staff) than Saints who have been caught out by this sort of thing from time to time. Football is an outdoor sport and in a country with a climate like Britain's this will always happen every now and then. Saints are doing better than most in terms of professionalism and forward-planning to even have the USH system in the first place - I believe it was just a few weeks ago that Fulham and Portsmouth both had to cancel home matches because they don't even have the sort of pitch protection that Saints have invested in. These are clubs that splash out millions and millions of pounds on (often fairly average) players, yet haven't bothered investing in their facilities in the way that St Johnstone have.

Fortunately Saints v Dunfermline is practically a local derby and there won't be very many people who'd had to travel very far (although it's obviously a bit of a bugger for those that did). Saints generally seem to learn from their mistakes though, and I'm sure they'll learn from this one.

Uh oh...are you sober?! Very good point, Mainstand et al can argue about fictious/estimated/guessed sums of cash, but Chris and Geoff also have to consider the pitch, in terms of football and finance. If the pitch is gubbed we'll struggle to get visitors to rent our pitch. Which impacts on our finances. It's just not that simple, guys.

What a condescending attitude you have when you make a point about anything!

IMHO Saints buggered up big style no doubt about it:evil:

At 5pm on Friday a decision is made.

will we switch on the USH?

We now know the decision was no.

It costs 1k to run the system for if a day.

Someone has said we learn from our mistakes, well if we go back to the Raith cup match last year the same thing happened, so we obviously do not learn from our mistakes.

To risk a loss of 30k (an estimate of the crowd difference between 4k & 6k) for the sake of 1k is bad judgement.

even if we average it out, 5 home matches in dec & jan, depending on weather forecast (frost on average 3 times) we would spend 3k per season to ensure a match goes ahead. decent odds as far as I can work out.

even if some do not agree with the above, surely we should have a contingincy plan. A PLAN B.

12AM when we all know there is a frost, someone on call turns on the USH.

Failing that, heaters on the pitch from 8am possibly with the help of fans as macclesfield did for the everton match recently.

SAINTS BUGGERED UP AGAIN.:shock:

Is it a predictive thermostat though?

Yes sort of, when the temperature (wanted) is set by me to say + 1C, then if it falls to zero the heating comes on, then when the actual temperature comes up to + 1C it then switches itself off (energy saving). This is repeated as necessary for the period it is on. I only switch it on at Friday nights though. :wink: