Pre-Season Friendlies - 2009/10

ryangordon86

Whatever happens, an improvement on last year's build up is certainly required.

Spot on. The team looked short of stamina (again) on Saturday. Training at altitude/ with heat might be beneficial. Our football is not restricted to sub-zero temperatures. We won't out play many in the SPL we're gonna need to start adding effort to determination.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on. The team looked short of stamina (again) on Saturday. Training at altitude/ with heat might be beneficial. Our football is not restricted to sub-zero temperatures. We won't out play many in the SPL we're gonna need to start adding effort to determination.

That would be ideal. If you look at a recent international, Bolivia 6 - Argies 1, it shows how much of a massive effect fitness can have on performance. The Bolivian national stadium is the highest in the world, and the Argentinians simply were not used to the conditions, and despite being some of the best players in the world, they completely crumbled. Some long hikes and half-marathons needed, methinks!

That would be ideal. If you look at a recent international, Bolivia 6 - Argies 1, it shows how much of a massive effect fitness can have on performance. The Bolivian national stadium is the highest in the world, and the Argentinians simply were not used to the conditions, and despite being some of the best players in the world, they completely crumbled. Some long hikes and half-marathons needed, methinks!

The point is that God gives players different levels of skill and fitness. The skill is optimised daily, the fitness (particularly endurance) is not, it merely ticks over. Training in an atmosphere where oxygen is less dense creates more red blood cells such that when the athletes return to sea level, they have a performance boost.

Most clubs struggle at the start of a season and it remains a possible path of exploitation.

That's it settled then - a pre-season tour of Bolivia it is!:)

Guest St. Clarkey

Being realistic, we are looking at one maybe two big games this pre-season... and it looks like Everton and Bolton/Leeds. I reckon we will play Plymouth too, then head down south or to Ireland for a tour. I can't see us going abroad this pre-season....

Being realistic, we are looking at one maybe two big games this pre-season... and it looks like Everton and Bolton/Leeds. I reckon we will play Plymouth too, then head down south or to Ireland for a tour. I can't see us going abroad this pre-season....

If recent history is anything to go by, it'll be one home friendly and that'll be it. Not sure where this Everton/Bolton/Leeds stuff is coming from, but if there's any truth in that then I doubt you'll get more than one of them coming.

Anyone know if Barcelona are coming back to Scotland this summer?

Not sure where this Everton/Bolton/Leeds stuff is coming from, but if there's any truth in that then I doubt you'll get more than one of them coming.

McInnes mentioned those teams to the two trialists that were training with the squad the Monday after the Dundee game. It seems Everton are the one they are going for (and there's talk of them playing a testimonial at Firhill too) but if Leeds or Bolton are in the area, then it's more than possible we might fit them in as well.

A decade ago, it wasn't unusual to play two or three English sides up here remember.

A decade ago, it wasn't unusual to play two or three English sides up here remember.

True (I miss those days), but I think things have changed quite a bit since then. I'm sure Geoff Brown has said fairly often in recent years that these English clubs try to charge Saints a big fee for coming to play us, and that's why it rarely happens these days. I think trying to protect the pitch also seems to have become more of an issue than it was during the carefree days of regular West Ham and Bolton visits.

explain ? :D

I was coming back up from Birkenhead at the same time as they were travelling up and they were being obnoxious cocks all the way up the road in all the service stations... they then caused lots of damage around the town... also a numptie got a taxi back down the road and did a runner without paying, stupidly he did the runner into his own block of flats!!

What????

Have you ever been to La Paz? I have, and regardless of fitness, you need at least 7 days to acclimatise to the elevation of the city. It's 3,600m in altitude. Fitness plays a part, but I would strongly argue that if anything, the argies would be fitter. Acclimatisation to the conditions & flight of ball is more important. This is why a number of federations have complained to FIFA about playing in La Paz as the local team has time to acclimatise to the conditions.

I watched Bolivar v Independiente in the Copa del Libertadores a few years ago and the altitude also has an incredible effect on the flight of the ball. It is long range manna from heaven. Independiente were by far the most skillful team, but Bolivar knew that they could hit the ball from 40 yds out, and if on target, would cause the goalie real strife. And it did. Never seen a match or conditions like it.