Qualifications?

T.H.C

For youngsters out there, your best bet is to get the head studying just now. Do the hard shift just now, and if you wish to stop studying at a later date at least you will have a decent record of achievement.

After my 4 highers in '96 went to study at Uni BSc Environmental Technology and now an Environmental Engineer that pays enough to have a decent lifestyle.

(although I need to commute all around the country, unfortunately for me there are sod all decent available jobs in Perth!)

My academic record at School was hardly brilliant and to be honest, I didn't really want to go to Uni. I was messing around alot, having a good time. I went to Uni because I didn't know what do and they accepted me to do Software Engineering. I messed about for the first 2.5 years at Uni not paying much attention until I got into the end of my third year when I actually started to enjoy my course. At that point I started to buckle down and started to get good grades.

I ended up getting commercially sponsorship to do my PhD after Uni and got to work for a great company in the states whilst studying here in the UK and it was the best thing I ever did.

I didn't need my PhD to get my current job, but I did need a degree so in that respect it was worth it. The PhD means nothing to most people, and I don't even use the title much at all (if ever). I expect it may come in useful later in life when my career progresses - maybe.

However, as much as the piece of paper doesn't mean much the skills I gained from doing the PhD were priceless and that is what made the PhD worth it.

As far as the qualifications go, there's nothing wrong with getting the qualifications you need just in case even if you don't fancy going to university. I struggle to understand why people put themselves through the stress of trying to get as many highers as they possibly can or what the point in advanced highers is? My view of highers was/is that they are purely for fulfilling entry requirements for university. There is far too much stress and worry for people sitting their exams with parents and teachers making out that they are make or break in terms of your life. Absolute load of shite, the fact is you can do highers at college and if you don't have the entry requirements for university, you can start off doing the NC and the like to progress on. You have all your life to do these things, there is no age limit at colleges and universities! The friends I have making the most money are the ones who left school at the end of 4th year and either stuck in getting a trade they enjoyed doing or got a job and climbed the ladder taking advantage of any training they were offered.

I definitely agree with that. The important thing is to find something you really enjoy doing and then work hard at it - seems like Hazel is doing that just now.

I got 5 A's for my Highers and AAB for my Advanced Highers. I then went to university and got an honours degree in Electrical & Mechanical Engineering. Currently I'm working towards Chartership which will require further study in the near future which I'm not looking forward to. After four years at uni I was desperate to finish and get out of there. I much prefer working life to university life but I think I might be in the minority there! I'm also doing an Open University course in German on the side, simply because I fancied it.

Got 8 Standard grades and 5 Highers. Suprised just about everyone really as I spent most of my school time mucking aroung and generally not caring how I did.

I did NO revision for 4th year and managed 30 mins for 5th year before I headed out for a game of football.

I really enjoyed Business Management and breezed to an A. It made sense for me to move on to a similair subject at Uni, but I had no interest in doing so. Left me with a bit of a dilema as what I wanted to do.

In the end I decided to start a small business of my own doing Cleaning (low overheads, plenty of work, etc) and I've never looked back. Don't get me wrong the thought of cleaning windows for the next 30 years doesn't excite me, but I am trying to build a business where others do the labour and I run the business and marketing, customer relations etc.

Got my first PT employee a few months ago and continuing to work hard to build a little business to be proud of.

Good evening,

What qualifications do you all have from school, college, university etc.

Or perhaps some of you are still in the process of your education.

Have these qualifications helped you with your career, or have they not made a difference whatsoever?

I am working towards a degree in pyschology and i am interested in how many people have reaped the rewards of the education system.

Thanks for taking the time to read or reply to this post.

Do you know what you want to do with your degree in psychology? Or are you just doing it out of interest?

2 x Int2's

6 Standard Grades

Currently doing 5 highers just now! Exams in the next 2 weeks!

Doing another higher next year with 2 advanced highers.

With the economy the way it is just now, all we're really told is get your head down and get the qualifications. At the moment if you've got none your not going anywhere. Or so we're told. The qualifications are important but i think as soon as you get into the career path you want they're disregarded.

However.

It becoming a joke the way that some people look upon the education system now. Its ever more apparent that if someone fails their exams their told where to go and forgotten about, if they do well on the other hand, they dont get the praise they deserve and instead are told "they're dumbing the exams down" (which is a load of sh*te) and once more have someone turn their noses up at them. As resulting the fact that too many youths are stereotyped as 'hoodys' and yobs these days.

2 x Int2's

6 Standard Grades

With the economy the way it is just now, all we're really told is get your head down and get the qualifications. At the moment if you've got none your not going anywhere. Or so we're told. The qualifications are important but i think as soon as you get into the career path you want they're disregarded.

However.

It becoming a joke the way that some people look upon the education system now. Its ever more apparent that if someone fails their exams their told where to go and forgotten about, if they do well on the other hand, they dont get the praise they deserve and instead are told "their dumming exams down" (which is a load of sh*te) and once more have someone turn their noses up at them. As resulting the fact that too many youths are stereotyped as 'hoodys' and yobs these days.

aye, nae wonder :laugh:

2 x Int2's

6 Standard Grades

However.

It becoming a joke the way that some people look upon the education system now. Its ever more apparent that if someone fails their exams their told where to go and forgotten about, if they do well on the other hand, they dont get the praise they deserve and instead are told "they're dumbing the exams down" (which is a load of sh*te) and once more have someone turn their noses up at them. As resulting the fact that too many youths are stereotyped as 'hoodys' and yobs these days.

I hope your exam answers are better than that response :shock: