Muirton Park

dheatley

Hi guys,

My name is Drew Heatley. I am writing a book titled ‘Lost League Football Grounds’, which will feature a double page spread on Muirton Park. I am interested in gathering fan’s anecdotes about the old ground, including things like quirky features, big moments, and recollections of atmosphere etc. It’s an open invitation; feel free to post any memories and reminiscences in the reply. It’d be extremely helpful and would add to the book to have a fan’s perspective.

Any queries contact me at drew.heatley@gmail.com

Cheers!

Early days Radford, I'm still coming to terms with the place no longer existing. I still expect it to be there each time I visit my old house in Inchaffrey St and wander up past the Northern District School remembering the days when you could migrate from behind the goals at the City End to the Ice Rink end (or vice versa) without gang warfare breaking out between opposing supporters. :neutral:

There are a few on here who are fortunate to remember the atmosphere at our home games in our first European adventure in the early 70s. Those memories have been recalled on here before and if I had even a modicum of IT skill I would post up some links!

"The Rangers Game" is one of my all-time memories and again oft mentioned on here.

I'll have a wee ferret about and try and post some links but my limitations may beat me.

My earliest memories of Muirton are standing behind the dug outs with the smoke from Alex Rennies cigars wafting over.

The funniest momeny was without doubt the 'ice-cream van moment'.

Saints were playing Dumbarton and really needed to win,it was goal less

and 90 minutes had come and gone when we had an effort on goal at the Ice Rink end.

The ball was hoofed out for a corner straight into the ice-cream van on the terracing.

From the resultant corner Saints scored even though we were all still laughing at the ice cream man.

I played BB football on Saturday afternoon on the South Inch and then got a bus to Muirton. I got there usually just before half time and came in the players entrance without having to pay. I then jumped over the barrier and joined my family on the terracing. Best memory was scoring in a cup final which we won on the haloed turf.:)

- Walking up the Lade with my dad when very young and coming out a street to see crowds coming together from all directions, getting in the players entrance and walking down the tunnel and moving into the section to the right of the tunnel. Walked down that tunnel often when great players like Jim Baxter and jimmy Johnston and Ian St.John (The Saint) all followed just five minutes later. :);

- later in my teens walking down the Crief Road with my pals from Letham and coming to the railway bridge and then seeing thousands queuing and thousands inside - made the adrenalin rush;

- games starting in the winter at 2pm because of the poor floodlights in front of big crowds in the old 2nd division;

- normally very good crowds until the late 70's;

- The steps up at the Florencw Place end often running up them after having run at the turnstile, diving at the last minute, through and under the turnstile. Simetimes getting a help in from some adult. It was an unwritten law that adults wanted kids into games without spending their pocket money, so the crowds were short of the actual figures stated;

- - 20,000 crowds against Rangers and Celtic each year with big Saints home supports;

- 25,000 against Aberdeen on New Years Day;

- being with a large section of Saints fans that took up their normal position in the middle of the terracing at a semi-final between Aberdeen and Kilmarnock and singing Saints songs :laugh:. It was a good game but...... ;

- Danny Mann leading a charge into the Celtic support who were seperated by a line of police and the territorial gain made by that charge, we were yards past the half way line;

- Jimmy Wallace being sent off;

- peeing behind the main stand, crowds were bigger, bogs were crowded;

- Ormond's brilliant football team, great football;

- European nights - nothing like it with big cowds 15,000 against SV Hamburg and 12,000 Vsas Budapest, and I'm not sure against Zel Zejnicar Sarajevo but ALL were wins!

- the kiosk at the top of the corner at the Ice Rink End which a Stuart Beedie shot went straight through.. fantastic!;

- girls hanging their heads out of the ice rink windows saying silly things like "Ronnie what are you doing?" "Watching football what does it look like you silly girl type person". :roll:

- a mass sticking the "V" sign up at the SV Hamburg team for what their dads did during the war. :laugh: true story;

- getting in at half-time free and asking what the score was and a old guy about 15 said 3-0 Hearts. We watched the second half and the final result was 3-3. That incident and the fact that Saints went to the bottom of Scottish football when I couldn't watch them for three years confirmed that I am their lucky mascot;

- The pipe band every week :cool:;

- the half-time scores being put on the boards with metal plates. When the guy went past we used to lean over or jump on and change the scores after looking at the programme which must have upset or confused most of the crowd I don't know;

- more attacking football than nowadays even in the lower leagues;

- more fans fom Perth supported Saints in these days in the early 60's/70's;

- Being called Orange ba's one week and ****** ba's the next week from two clubs from Glasgow and deliberately fitting what they wanted just for a fight.... still a good idea. Yes we were Prods one week and Papes the next just to humour them. ;

- there were certain smells you got at Muirton that I haven't smelled since - nice ones.

- disappointment was that I never seen us doing a proper lap of honour at Muirton with a big national trophy. That remains the same for McD.

Just type muirton into the search bar and you get quite a few posts -

muirton park in the observer - http://www.weareperth.co.uk/vforum/showthread.php?t=8996&highlight=Muirton

http://www.weareperth.co.uk/vforum/showthread.php?t=9162&highlight=Muirton

Muirton before during and after demolition - http://www.weareperth.co.uk/vforum/showthread.php?t=5199&highlight=Muirton

should be able to find stuff in those ones.

At Muirton there was a very narrow path behind the enclosure with a big drop down to a forest of nettles but at half time the tradition was for fans to change ends - and the route taken was along the back of the enclosure. Many battles were fought at half time as fans tried to pass each other and there was always a few casualties climbing up from the rubbish at the bottom. Happy memories of Muirton.

Another memory - Jim Townsend's shot to beat Rangers which in my memory was 40yds out and hit harder than Ronaldo. Might have been the first time I saw the boys beat Rangers (but not the last!).

Also wearing a Parka at the ice rink end in a game against Dundee with a 20000 crowd. Of course the supporters were mixed. Realised the Parka had not been a good idea when I put the hood up to fund it full of cigarette butts - one or two still alight! I can still remember the smell of wet - and burnt - Rabbit fur from the Parka collar!

- Walking up the Lade with my dad when very young and coming out a street to see crowds coming together from all directions, getting in the players entrance and walking down the tunnel and moving into the section to the right of the tunnel. Walked down that tunnel often when great players like Jim Baxter and jimmy Johnston and Ian St.John (The Saint) all followed just five minutes later. :);

- later in my teens walking down the Crief Road with my pals from Letham and coming to the railway bridge and then seeing thousands queuing and thousands inside - made the adrenalin rush;

- games starting in the winter at 2pm because of the poor floodlights in front of big crowds in the old 2nd division;

- normally very good crowds until the late 70's;

- The steps up at the Florencw Place end often running up them after having run at the turnstile, diving at the last minute, through and under the turnstile. Simetimes getting a help in from some adult. It was an unwritten law that adults wanted kids into games without spending their pocket money, so the crowds were short of the actual figures stated;

- - 20,000 crowds against Rangers and Celtic each year with big Saints home supports;

- 25,000 against Aberdeen on New Years Day;

- being with a large section of Saints fans that took up their normal position in the middle of the terracing at a semi-final between Aberdeen and Kilmarnock and singing Saints songs :laugh:. It was a good game but...... ;

- Danny Mann leading a charge into the Celtic support who were seperated by a line of police and the territorial gain made by that charge, we were yards past the half way line;

- Jimmy Wallace being sent off;

- peeing behind the main stand, crowds were bigger, bogs were crowded;

- Ormond's brilliant football team, great football;

- European nights - nothing like it with big cowds 15,000 against SV Hamburg and 12,000 Vsas Budapest, and I'm not sure against Zel Zejnicar Sarajevo but ALL were wins!

- the kiosk at the top of the corner at the Ice Rink End which a Stuart Beedie shot went straight through.. fantastic!;

- girls hanging their heads out of the ice rink windows saying silly things like "Ronnie what are you doing?" "Watching football what does it look like you silly girl type person". :roll:

- a mass sticking the "V" sign up at the SV Hamburg team for what their dads did during the war. :laugh: true story;

- getting in at half-time free and asking what the score was and a old guy about 15 said 3-0 Hearts. We watched the second half and the final result was 3-3. That incident and the fact that Saints went to the bottom of Scottish football when I couldn't watch them for three years confirmed that I am their lucky mascot;

- The pipe band every week :cool:;

- the half-time scores being put on the boards with metal plates. When the guy went past we used to lean over or jump on and change the scores after looking at the programme which must have upset or confused most of the crowd I don't know;

- more attacking football than nowadays even in the lower leagues;

- more fans fom Perth supported Saints in these days in the early 60's/70's;

- Being called Orange ba's one week and ****** ba's the next week from two clubs from Glasgow and deliberately fitting what they wanted just for a fight.... still a good idea. Yes we were Prods one week and Papes the next just to humour them. ;

- there were certain smells you got at Muirton that I haven't smelled since - nice ones.

- disappointment was that I never seen us doing a proper lap of honour at Muirton with a big national trophy. That remains the same for McD.

Nostalgia! Fair brings a tear to the eye.

Hi guys,

My name is Drew Heatley. I am writing a book titled ‘Lost League Football Grounds’, which will feature a double page spread on Muirton Park. I am interested in gathering fan’s anecdotes about the old ground, including things like quirky features, big moments, and recollections of atmosphere etc. It’s an open invitation; feel free to post any memories and reminiscences in the reply. It’d be extremely helpful and would add to the book to have a fan’s perspective.

Any queries contact me at drew.heatley@gmail.com

Cheers!

Will Meadowside feature, too? I think you'd struggle to find any Thistle fans who have memories of the team playing there. :wink:

I remember my dad having to lift me over the barrier to get in, most kids got a lift over in the 80's.

Also remember the Saints shop after the Aid Shop shut down was an old petrol koisk from Heron Rosslieghs garage. I used to buy all sorts of crap from there every game.

Also when the half time scored were attached to the barrier againt a corresponding letter printed in the programme.

The smell of the toilets behind the enclosure was a smell you would never forget.

Getting to sit on the barriers was always a thing if you got in early enough and claimed your spot.

Battle on the terraces against Leeds United in a pre season friendly. I was only 7 or 8 and got trampled as things got a bit lairy.

Wee Hodgie getting lifted every other week.

Loads of other great memories. :)

First game was when saints played Preston North End after Willie McIntosh had been transferred to them my faither took me. Seeing saints give some big teams i:e Hibs with the Famous Five and Hearts with Conn Bauld and Wardhaugh. Also playing BB football on the south inch and hearing the record crowd that far away. As mentioned before the toilets had a special aroma.:laugh:

One of my fondest memories of Muirton was of the great Jimmy Wallace (which is why I use his name on here). For those who don't know, Jimmy was a ballboy, although when I started going in the late 70s, Jimmy was in his 50s. He was known in those less than politically correct times as "Daft Jimmy", albeit in an affectionate way. In modern parlance we would probably refer to him as having "learning disabilities". I remember one Perthshire Advertiser pre season Saints special pull out having a picture of the ballboys and referring to Jimmy as "Ballboy Manager". I don't recall too many specifics about Jimmy (someone has already mentioned his "sending off") but whenever the ball was kicked out onto Florence Place or over the back of the enclosure Jimmy would fly out of the traps like a greyhound chasing a hare to fetch it back. An awesome sight.

Some guys on here know Jimmy personally. Sadly I have never met him. The last I heard, he was in a nursing home in Blairgowrie. God Bless Jimmy Wallace. The thought of him still brings a smile to my face.

One of Muirton's best claims to fame was that it was just the right distance from the town - I can't imagine anyone doing anything but walk to the match.

It was also too easy for away supporters to walk from the station into the town, get wellied and then storm their way out to the ground. The shops along North Methven Street used to close about 2, and board up their windows when Rangers/Celtic came to town in the bad days for football violence in the early 1970s.